need to make $100-200/wk around kids schedule - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need ideas. I have 2 kids in public school and a 2 yr old at home. I need to find a way to bring in a consistent $100-200 minimum per week. No Direct Marketing please - avon, arbonne, etc... do not work here - we live way out in the country.

I need this to work around my kids schedule. We do not have any friends or family that can watch the kids, so I need to be available when they are home / summer break / etc... I am a very hard worker - have a bachelors degree in business marketing but have done all sorts of jobs. Looked into running a preschool from home for 2-4 kids, but I need a degree in education or 40 credit hours in childhood education to be state certified in GA now, and do not have the time or money to go back to school for this. I am good with kids. I love books, love to write, but not any experience. I I need something people are willing to pay for in this bad economy - used to pet sit and clean houses, but we moved and most people are cutting out those extras in this area.

Also, those of you who work outside the home, how do you work it out when kids are out on summer/winter break?
Thanks in advance for any advice / help....
mommymarnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 02:54 PM

I currently work in a field that is child related, thus my kids can come to work with me. I'm a program coordinator for a local YMCA. But I've also just been an afterschool care person or preschool teacher at times too. I get free after school care when they are not in school, and during the summer. When I was a preschool teacher for them I also worked while the kids were in school.

For preschool teacher qualifications they usually have different qualifications for different settings. You could check the qualifications for a "daycare" teacher and look at working with a center with a preschool program. Thats what most preschools are here, they are daycares that are run like preschools with curriculumn etc. The education is slightly less strict than for a school setting. (still need college and experience but its a tad more flexible in some states)

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 AM

What does unitedfromhome do?? It is one of those websites where they don't actually tell you what you would be doing. It is a red flag when it just goes on and on about freedom you get working from home. But no info on what it actually is!

What do they do or sell?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
any little part time job will likely net you $200 a month. I work at a grocery store and started at $8 an hour and now make $10 plus tips. SO I could easily pull in $200 a week working 24 hours or 4 six hour shifts. How ever the place I work requires you to be available one day per weekend. however if you can work on Sundays....another option is an overnight job (if you have a partner at home) taking the overnight shift will give you a pay bonus and you can easily clear $200 a week working a couple 9-10 hour shifts a week. I did this when I was married and slept while my kids were in school. they were asleep the entire time I was at work.

if you would like to do a preschool why not just do daycare then you wouldn't have to worry about teaching certificates and stuff. you can stress to the parents that you provide structured days and accademic activities and get the preschool crowd without calling it a preschool. you might need to be registered but this is usually pretty low key.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:08 AM

I work at home answer calls for sales or sales leads on a variety of products. There are a number of companies that have work at home agents doing this the big downside is it must be quiet in the background so can not be down with kids playing in the same room. I currently work for westathome.com my dh has worked for alpineaccess.com who is currently hiring btw and hsn.com is another good one. Also check out ratracerebellion.com for their current job leads that are updated daily. My dh saw some ESOL tutoring on there that would have been perfect for my mom if she just had high speed internet access, but they are in a dead zone for dsl or cable modems.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Old 01-24-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
What does unitedfromhome do?? It is one of those websites where they don't actually tell you what you would be doing. It is a red flag when it just goes on and on about freedom you get working from home. But no info on what it actually is!

What do they do or sell?
That's a team for either Melaleuca or another company like that. They say no selling, but you're wanting people to sign up for a monthly autoship, and you earn commission on down the line.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:01 PM

Not sure if this will help but I thought I'd share! I have 3 jobs currently. (2 WAHM for now and 1 out of the house on weekends) Here are my rates for each;

shiatsu therapist (just starting) but I charge $50 per hour currently, I will raise my rates to $65 eventually as I get more clients and experience (I used to be a hairstylist so I am applying the same business tactics I used successfully for 12 years previously)..

face painting- $75 hour ( w/ a 2 hour minimum) just started doing this in November. Oh and $75 is the low end of the scale, I know quite a few face painters charging up to $150 per hour! Especially for corporate clients! So my rates will likely go up as I get more gigs.

web writing-on average I make $15-$40 per hour

My goal is to work approx. 20-25 hours per week combined which will make me roughly $1000+ per week (I am not making nowhere near that currently but this is my plan within the next 2 years as I grow my businesses!) I can make a few hundred per week web writing alone depending how much time I want to devote to it. Face painting will be my moneymaker though so I am anxious to line up more this year gigs! (I know that's out of the house but it's fast cash and FUN!) The only caveat w/ the face painting is a professional kit is a fairly large investment upfront for professional high quality paints and other supplies.

Currently I do web writing at night. Save the weekends for face painting gigs and hope to do shiatsu during the week as I start my practice. My partner works at home and we home school as well. I am also doing some crafting for a local art co-op and etsy whenever I can but that is more a hobby than anything else!

Good luck finding something that works for you and your family!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!

User Tag List