Write at Home Moms - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 244 Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Happily reporting 1300w today. Getting a short work breather, so I put in a decent workout, came home and wrote. That puts me over 11,000w, which is good progress. As long as I keep it up, I need to learn to be happy with that.

Now, for the afternoon, I will shut down, get offline and be here now with my kids. Then I can write a little more before bed. Should be able to write again tomorrow, too, but the rest of the week is yet to be seen. But progress is progress!
awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 244 Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
Registration is closed but they'll start up a new session in April. I'll probably do it again at that time or another course

If you join for April I'll sign up again..it'd be fun to do it together
i'm thinking of doing this also... i am in some desperate need of connection from other writers! my editor/lit agent is on medical leave right now for who knows how long and i feel lost without her... with no one else to read my material i get stuck often in a 'this sucks' rut.

anyone else ever look back at something you've worked your dear ass off and see it all as flawed? obviously i don't really think it is but sometimes it's hard to convince myself that.

Mama to my three little loveys and living the good life in the beautiful Pacific North West 
#33 of 244 Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanna-cat View Post
i'm thinking of doing this also... i am in some desperate need of connection from other writers! my editor/lit agent is on medical leave right now for who knows how long and i feel lost without her... with no one else to read my material i get stuck often in a 'this sucks' rut.

anyone else ever look back at something you've worked your dear ass off and see it all as flawed? obviously i don't really think it is but sometimes it's hard to convince myself that.
Yay! I've done that but sometimes I look back and go "that was good!" so it evens out..lol
#34 of 244 Old 01-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Well, I have thousands of words toward my novel that I have to completely rewrite because the focus was wrong. So, um, yeah. But kinda both, because I'm happy with the writing itself, craft-wise, and I still find the story compelling. It's just a logistical issue...that will make me re-do the whole thing.

I never answered the question about what it's about.

My story is about a cross-cultural couple trying to create their own sense of family as a clash of cultures incites betrayal and deception, and the consequences ripple through their lives. I'm exploring the limits of breaking rules to do the right thing, unintended consequences, and of course forgiveness--its benefits and its limits.

I've got a MC who allows himself to be convinced to do things he knows are wrong out of guilt over his own good fortune, compared with his family who suffer in poverty. He realizes very quickly he made a mistake, but he's committed acts that can't be undone, and the consequences affect innocent people. The choices involved in "fixing" wrongs can be devastating, criminal and even fatal.
#35 of 244 Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

So I did my second assignment on Writer's village and signed up for mentor support

I'm finding it very helpful.

I really enjoy the chats. They're fun!

So what is everybody writing? I haven't written this week. But I needed to put it down. I've been busy with other things...such is life but I'll be back at it today!

I have been reading my manuscript

I get lost in it though and forget to revise..is that good?

Oh and I'm deep in plans for my book launch party! It's growing...it might be bigger than anticipated and I'm a little nervous about my reading though I don't usually mind speaking in public, it's a bit different when it's your own stuff kwim.

I am organising a new nutritional snack program at the school and it starts to day..big job but so worthwhile. Gotta scoot....

Allgirls
#36 of 244 Old 01-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Subbing...and just signed up for the April session of the writer's workshop.
I really, really need to work on my novel. I get distracted by too many other things, and it would be nice to see it done!

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#37 of 244 Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
Subbing...and just signed up for the April session of the writer's workshop.
I really, really need to work on my novel. I get distracted by too many other things, and it would be nice to see it done!
what I've learned about the editing process...

write that first draft as fast as you can! because the second draft is soooooo much more involved, you just would not believe the amount of work that goes into polishing and perfecting.

Just get that first draft done...then get down to the real work
#38 of 244 Old 01-28-2010, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

I love editing

I am also enjoying the class considerably! I just finished and posted my third lesson

I think you'll really find it helpful! I love learning
#39 of 244 Old 01-28-2010, 02:38 AM

yeah, I like editing too. It's the original writing I find difficult. For some reason I am able to write nonfiction like anything, but I stress about the fiction! I think it's an attachment thing.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#40 of 244 Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 AM

wmf, me too! I write for a living, and I can crank out copy like nobody's business. And it's good copy. But pulling this first draft out is like pulling teeth. It's got to be because it's really, truly all inside. It really kind of is pulling teeth. Impacted teeth.
#41 of 244 Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

It's all imagination. I walk around with my scenes and conversations twirling around in my head until I get a sense of how it's going to go. Right now I'm working on an argument/conflict and I'm playing different scenarios out in my mind...then I'll sit and write it with time. I consider the imagination part writing as much as the writing part. I see my characters...I know what she says, I'm having a little difficulty with his words..he's scared now, he wants her back but risks everything he has worked so hard to achieve if he takes her back...I think I have it. I'll sit and write it soon. It'll come.

I think you just have to trust the process...don't force it. If you are stuck on something move on to another chapter and come back to it. I know my story and I've done this quite a few times. So much so that I've written stuff I've forgotten was already done

Good luck!

Allgirls
#42 of 244 Old 02-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I love editing

I am also enjoying the class considerably! I just finished and posted my third lesson

did you pay the $75 membership to take the classes?
#43 of 244 Old 02-03-2010, 05:56 PM

I'm so sick of my book!

I started this book - the story - at a time when I was still dealing with some things of my past...and they are in the story, intertwined with the fiction - and it's been a real healing cathartic journey...but I'm so done with it now. I am feeling like my past is sneaking into my present now, I feel stuck in the past, and I know it's this book. I have polished and shined the first few chapters that really deals with it, and then my character MOVES ON and LIVES! I can't wait, because I just feel so stuck right now... just two more chapters to edit and then I'll be out of the woods...

anyone else do this and find that it was a bad idea? My next book - already outlined - has NOTHING to do with my own reality. Can't wait to start it!
#44 of 244 Old 02-03-2010, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
did you pay the $75 membership to take the classes?
No..F2K is a free class..it starts up again in April.

The $75 fee is to join for a year. I'll probably do that at some point I want to do the noveling workshop...it will be worth it for that alone
#45 of 244 Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mommy Hawk..I would think it's going to be fantastic then if it's affecting you so..two more chapters!

Sounds painful though..hope you get through it soon. I have real life stuff throughout mine but nothing painful like that.

I've finished chapter 45 of my novel and I'm through the rough spots!

.nice blurb in the paper about my poetry book launch on the 20th, great fan letter in the mail the other day, I booked an ad in the Gazette and I'm being interviewed for the local news program about my book

Lots of happy things..oh yeah and today I received a copy of another book I have a poem in..it's great!
#46 of 244 Old 02-05-2010, 09:28 AM

allgirls, here's to a great book launch and the momentum to follow!

I have not been working on my own book. Bright side, I have been writing for pay again. I know I need a new strategy for storage. I think I am going to upload to gmail, so that I can access the doc from wherever I am (as long as there's wifi) and keep working. Right now it's housed on one laptop, but I am often on the other, so something as simple as inertia keeps me from adding words.

And like I said, bright side, I am working for pay. I think this year, I'd like to get myself a Mac. I work on Mac for work and love my work laptop. I spilled coffee and gummed up keys on my PC laptop.

Working on fun projects at the job, which is great, but as insulated as I thought I'd be from office politics...*sigh*...notsomuch.
#47 of 244 Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

My husband bought me a flash drive...could you get one of those...you can just go from computer to computer...and it's a great little backup...just keep your main book file on there

I am revised up to chapter 57 out of 70...I have to go back and change a scene that was a bit lame and it came to me how to fix it so I'll rewrite that little paragraph. Best part...Chapters 60-70 are already revised and it's not rewrites but rather proof reading at this point so for all intents and purposes this sucker is finished!(until they send it back to me again )

Book launch stuff is moving along...a local news television show(the one I'm a reporter for actually) is coming to interview me about the book on Monday fora FEATURE and the local paper is coming to the launch as well.

I also am thinking of writing a screenplay for the novel as soon as it's off for publishing..in April...I have a contact who will take it to a person who makes movies...for serious...now that's kind of thrilling

It's very exciting around here!

Oh and my husband bought me a beautiful pen when he was away last time for me to use to sign books. I love that man
#48 of 244 Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 PM

this is the only place I'm saying this...I'm afraid to edit past chapter three...

Ok, I said it. Maybe that'll help me actually do it, admitting I'm afraid...

phew! I hate admitting fear, but it is what it is...next book? totally fiction! But this was THE BOOK that I had to write. I've heard other authors who have that one book that calls to them, and this was mine. And it's this stupid fear that had killed my new years resolution to be done editing by my birthday. So I'm moving my self-made deadline up, but no later than May...ok, time to put up or shut up! I can't let him win twice...

but in fun news, I was looking through a mag and found a picture of a woman who looks JUST LIKE my MC, the way she looks in my head! So I have her pick taped to the wall with her "name" (Matty Bell) written at the top, like a friend's pic close by to help me keep going. And it's a pic of her after all the crap at the beginning is over...so it's a helpful reminder that she does get past the crap...

you'd think I already know that since I already wrote the whole book, to the finish! But for some reason I just feel stuck in this junk at the beginning...I know what I have to do. Edit past these stupid chapters (which are great sounding, but painful to write/edit/read for me...kwim?)...
#49 of 244 Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

ha! Mommy Hawk...I'm in the same place and again, like you..this book has a lot of my own stuff in it..it's sort of a "what if?" story from an incident in my life.

I think I'm afraid for it to be over..it'll mean it's finally over...

I spoke to a writer friend of mine briefly and he said he had the same exact moment of panic just before his first book went to print and it too incorporated a lot of personal stuff.

Anyway..perfectly normal is what I'm saying

I'm writing several more chapters to my story..it's great because it's won't require much rewriting..it was a loose end from the beginning that I thought I might let dangle but I've decided to tie it up and I figured out how to do it.

Keep going..you can do it!

Allgirls
#50 of 244 Old 02-13-2010, 12:12 PM

OT: I don't understand why they closed the forum BEFORE they had the new one in place, ready to go. upsetting to say the least...
#51 of 244 Old 02-13-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OT: I don't understand why they closed the forum BEFORE they had the new one in place, ready to go. upsetting to say the least...
From the forum closing notice

MDC is undertaking a large software upgrade, and we do not currently have the time or resources to adequately maintain the Writing forums.

The writing forums required a lot of moderation/work. I couldn't keep up with it when I was moderator there.
#52 of 244 Old 02-13-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I love editing

ok, I love editing again!!! I just realized something...I am NEVER going to put true to life events in a book EVER again!!! It's just too much an emotional rollercoaster for ME...writing about it was one thing...re-writing and editing it is horrible. But I've passed the part that is 'real' so I don't need to revisit it again for a long while. Now I'm onto the GOOD, oh so good, parts of my book...

is it ok to fall in love with your own male lead???...
#53 of 244 Old 02-13-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
ok, I love editing again!!! I just realized something...I am NEVER going to put true to life events in a book EVER again!!! It's just too much an emotional rollercoaster for ME...writing about it was one thing...re-writing and editing it is horrible. But I've passed the part that is 'real' so I don't need to revisit it again for a long while. Now I'm onto the GOOD, oh so good, parts of my book...

is it ok to fall in love with your own male lead???...
I hope so...I LOVE mine so much..
#54 of 244 Old 02-13-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
From the forum closing notice

MDC is undertaking a large software upgrade, and we do not currently have the time or resources to adequately maintain the Writing forums.

The writing forums required a lot of moderation/work. I couldn't keep up with it when I was moderator there.
still...

in fun news, I just signed up for F2K! Can't wait...
#55 of 244 Old 02-13-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
still...

in fun news, I just signed up for F2K! Can't wait...
Yeah..there wasn't a choice there.

I should sign up again!

Allgirls
#56 of 244 Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 AM

Can I join you ladies? I just found the mothers writing forum, only to realize that it is closed.

I am starting a new novel, but I feel so drained I'm having a hard time feeling creative. I have a handwritten manuscript that I had abandoned, but now I am thinking I should pull it out and go back and forth between rewriting, and forming the new one.

I have so many problems in the first draft that I don't know if I need to just scratch the whole thing and start over, type it up as is and go on from there, or say it was great practice and just leave it alone.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#57 of 244 Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

welcome Paige

Can't advise you on how to do..I would walk around with the main character in my head see if you can think of ways to make him/her do something fantastic, see if they speak to you.

I got my first 20 chapters back for revision(on the final draft) and only a few mistakes and one paragraph rewrite

Is there any such thing as a final draft?

lol

I'm starting to think it's called "the book" lol.

Anyway I've finished 17 of them so will finish the other three today
#58 of 244 Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Per the UA:

Quote:
Concerns, constructive criticism and questions of clarification regarding the User Agreement or moderator and administrator actions are best addressed directly to the moderator or administrator by private message or personal e-mail. Please do not post on the board to debate, criticize, argue or challenge the MDC User Agreement, the moderators, administrators, or their actions.
Any further commentary regarding board decisions needs to be taken to PM. Thanks for your cooperation.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#59 of 244 Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 PM

let me just say, OMG... Paige, Welcome! don't worry about 'having to rewrite' your first draft. You will rewrite it again and again and again. Just go for it. If you have a hand written 1st draft, make your second draft from that, making revisions as you type it in. If you remove major parts, add others, that's all part of the editing process get into a groove and keep going. Have you written a previous novel? What about?
#60 of 244 Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 PM

I have only completed that first handwritten draft. I had thought there was no salvaging it because I was going to have to change practically everything. I started a second novel, but I keep thinking about the other so I think I need to actually get it into shape. They are both fantasy, I had intended young adult, but I think that's going to change.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page