Write at Home Moms - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 244 Old 02-17-2010, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Paige...if it's begging to be written you have no choice. What helped me was an outline of what I had and then I did an excel spreadsheet with notes on what had to be changed.

I started my novel in September...it's in its final draft and being published...I completely rewrote it after it was done..you can do this. I write about one to two hours a day however I stop at times for real life and come back refreshed.

But the outline with notes made it work..one chapter at a time...

You can do this!!!
#62 of 244 Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 PM

Oh I like the excel spreadsheet idea! I write after the kids go to bed. I try for an hour or so every night, but I will admit the last couple nights I just went to bed too!.

It's funny, as soon as I decided to pull out the first novel, I realized I was imagining the other one in the wrong setting, and all the sudden I am starting to visuals scenes for it again.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#63 of 244 Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post
Oh I like the excel spreadsheet idea! I write after the kids go to bed. I try for an hour or so every night, but I will admit the last couple nights I just went to bed too!.

It's funny, as soon as I decided to pull out the first novel, I realized I was imagining the other one in the wrong setting, and all the sudden I am starting to visuals scenes for it again.

As long as you don't give up..taking time off is fine..once i realized I would always write and wasn't as desperate if I skipped for a while it became easier to find the time and not get into block.

In fact when life is busy sometimes I set it aside on purpose..though I do now tend to read or write a little every day...and it's harder because I have an actual deadline.

And in exciting news..my book launch party is on Saturday! I am so excited!!

Carolyn
#64 of 244 Old 02-21-2010, 11:32 PM

OMG I'm having tachycardia! I want our home back. This thread is really confusing. Is the social club really better? I have no idea what that is. I'm glad you mamas are still here though.

treehugger.gif Wife of over 10 years to hard working DH and Mom to DS (25)violin.gif,DD1 (10)joy.gif and : DD2 (6)joy.gif 
#65 of 244 Old 02-22-2010, 12:44 AM

congrats about the book launch! Hopefully I will get there some day.
I've realized that if I just manage to do 500 words a day (pretty easy), I will likely have my first draft done by May. That is my goal, so I am feeling .

(Yes, I am using an arbitrary word limit to let myself know when it's time to look over my writing, but otherwise I would never feel like it was time and would continue to write the first draft forever).

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#66 of 244 Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryMom View Post
OMG I'm having tachycardia! I want our home back. This thread is really confusing. Is the social club really better? I have no idea what that is. I'm glad you mamas are still here though.
What do you find confusing? It's a very short thread, relatively speaking. Is there something in particular you want to talk about because we can post it there.

My book launch was fabulous...everybody said my reading was really good and I sold ALL of the books and have an order for another. The newspaper came out and took photos and said they would call for an interview. It's really the jumping off point for other things so there is a mini book tour going on and I"m going to local places to read and hopefully sell more books. The reading will change a little to be geared to the audience each time.

On Wednesday I'm going to the launch of this book in which I'm a contributor!

What a roller coaster...I'm probably going to write on my blog about it later.
#67 of 244 Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=allgirls;15099787]What do you find confusing? It's a very short thread, relatively speaking. Is there something in particular you want to talk about because we can post it there.

QUOTE]

Nothing. I just felt like I jumped in in the middle of some else's conversation. I'll get the hang of it again. I am realatively new to forum writing so I was just begining to get comfortable with the whole system to begin with. Like I said, glad you all are still here.

I'm really glad your book launch went well. I've been rooting for you!!

treehugger.gif Wife of over 10 years to hard working DH and Mom to DS (25)violin.gif,DD1 (10)joy.gif and : DD2 (6)joy.gif 
#68 of 244 Old 02-23-2010, 05:37 PM

Hello! I'm just sort of jumping in here. Congrats to everyone working towards their goals and reaching goals! I'm getting back to writing. When I realized I needed to talk to other writers, I went looking for the Writing forum, sorry to see it go. What are social clubs? Ah well, I'm along for the ride. I signed up for the free Writer's Village Course, very excited about that.
A question... one of my main characters is based, very loosely on a real person. The character isn't even based on the person, but inspired by events that happened to them, but I changed the events... I'm not explaining well. My story is pretty far away from what happened to them...

Walking the slow & steady path to crunchy with my all granola kiddo and not at all crunchy husband.
#69 of 244 Old 02-23-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiapa View Post
Hello! I'm just sort of jumping in here. Congrats to everyone working towards their goals and reaching goals! I'm getting back to writing. When I realized I needed to talk to other writers, I went looking for the Writing forum, sorry to see it go. What are social clubs? Ah well, I'm along for the ride. I signed up for the free Writer's Village Course, very excited about that.
A question... one of my main characters is based, very loosely on a real person. The character isn't even based on the person, but inspired by events that happened to them, but I changed the events... I'm not explaining well. My story is pretty far away from what happened to them...
Me too..about the story...elements of my main character are based on a person...elements of the story are real...the character and the story are complete fiction and not even remotely what happened. From my experience...it's almost impossible to do completely fiction writing

Social clubs are coming with the next upgrade and I don't know exactly what they are but I do know they are supposed to be ideal for "groups" etc.

I'm in the middle of the Writer's Village Course and I am really enjoying it..though my assignment is late

Welcome!
#70 of 244 Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=PoetryMom;15104782]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
What do you find confusing? It's a very short thread, relatively speaking. Is there something in particular you want to talk about because we can post it there.

QUOTE]

Nothing. I just felt like I jumped in in the middle of some else's conversation. I'll get the hang of it again. I am realatively new to forum writing so I was just begining to get comfortable with the whole system to begin with. Like I said, glad you all are still here.

I'm really glad your book launch went well. I've been rooting for you!!
Ok...well just jump in..we're all over the place but at least we're here. Thanks about the launch..it was super exciting!
#71 of 244 Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the welcome, Allgirls!

Walking the slow & steady path to crunchy with my all granola kiddo and not at all crunchy husband.
#72 of 244 Old 02-28-2010, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

This book has been temporarily pre-empted because the author is olympic-game addicted.

So I managed to finish my writing course but it was a sloppy last two assignments.

I haven't touched the manuscript..deadline April 8...well first 20 chapters are done..but nothing since..so...50 remaining..

I have a mini tour for the poetry book...

I'm sold out of books!...every last one and I've made a few more Amazon sales...and it's hitting some bookstores th is week.

I have a radio interview on Monday at 6pm(it's online, 6 pm EST me if you want a link to tune in)

I am completely wrapped up in the Olympic games...we always do well but this is our games and we are doing fantastic and I'm so proud of our athletes and they way this is going.

A few bad news things with two of my uncles..one looks like a terminal diagnosis and the other broke a leg in 3 places today..he's 70, type 1 diabetic and was finally mobile again after a long healing from a knee replacement...

Writing is in a lull..but it'll be back..it always comes back

Allgirls

Life is great..and crazy and sometimes a little sad!
#73 of 244 Old 02-28-2010, 01:54 AM

anyone wanna give me feedback on a small piece of my book? it's a story/legend being told within the book but sometimes i'm not very good at short stories and would like some additional oppinions.i just wrote it this afternoon so haven't even had time to think on it yet... i can pm it using google docs to anyone who would like a go! it's not very long, 9 pages double spaced.

on another note finally getting back to regular writing after lets see... a 3 month break! i just haven't been into it lately but finally feel the vibe coming back. i must say... it's good to be back. i've soooo missed my charectors.

Mama to my three little loveys and living the good life in the beautiful Pacific North West 
#74 of 244 Old 02-28-2010, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanna-cat View Post
anyone wanna give me feedback on a small piece of my book? it's a story/legend being told within the book but sometimes i'm not very good at short stories and would like some additional oppinions.i just wrote it this afternoon so haven't even had time to think on it yet... i can pm it using google docs to anyone who would like a go! it's not very long, 9 pages double spaced.

on another note finally getting back to regular writing after lets see... a 3 month break! i just haven't been into it lately but finally feel the vibe coming back. i must say... it's good to be back. i've soooo missed my charectors.
Pick me...I'll read it...and provide some feedback for sure..I'm kind but will offer opinions and advice...
#75 of 244 Old 02-28-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
No, Writer's Village U. Someone today even said "I wish I could write like you."

I'm chuffed..I was so scared to post...they're not mean but they are picky...

Now the actual class part might be tougher...writing under pressure, on a deadline, assignment stuff.

But I'm excited for my first real lesson.

You should sign up...I think it's going to be a great experience...not sure if you can still join this one but another one starts after it. And it's free!
I free. I'm a little scared to sign up for the 7-week course, though. I majored in English, but I need to brush up on the basic mechanics to give that part of my memory a nudge. So, I'm reading Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell and Beginnings, Middles & Ends by Nancy Kress. After that, I think I'm going to start with Writer's Village's independent study style Character Building Workshop.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#76 of 244 Old 02-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Ok - I have a question. I know who my main character is, what she is (urban fantasy), what she does, where she works, who her friends are, etc. But I can't quite get a grab on what happens to her to set the action of the novel off.

How did that come to you? Did you meditate? Have a dream about it? How did you decide at what point in your character's life to start your novel?

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#77 of 244 Old 02-28-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace View Post
Ok - I have a question. I know who my main character is, what she is (urban fantasy), what she does, where she works, who her friends are, etc. But I can't quite get a grab on what happens to her to set the action of the novel off.

How did that come to you? Did you meditate? Have a dream about it? How did you decide at what point in your character's life to start your novel?
I did have that issue...my mc has a huge character flaw that follows her for her entire life yet the actions starts later so I wrote a prologue of a pivotal event....it's a prologue now...it started as a memory in a chapter but was moved and rewritten into a prologue. I have the male character have memories of pivotal events throughout the story...so...

How it came to me? It was walking through her life..in my mind even for parts of it that didn't make ti into the novel. I walk around imagining how her life was...before the action and it came to me how she got to be this way
#78 of 244 Old 02-28-2010, 11:47 PM

Quick!

NPR's Three-minute fiction contest.

Three-minute fiction:

Write a short story, under 600 words and submit by 11:59 Eastern tonight.

There's still time if you're fast.
#79 of 244 Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM

Well, apparently long, hot showers (which I virtually never get to take) are great for brainstorming! lol
Quote:
It was walking through her life..in my mind even for parts of it that didn't make ti into the novel. I walk around imagining how her life was...before the action and it came to me how she got to be this way
This helped! Thank you! While showering this morning, I wondered what my MC did after she got up and showered on a regular day, so I thought about it and built from there. Then I hurriedly got dressed so I could run and write it all down!

#80 of 244 Old 03-01-2010, 03:33 PM

March Secret Agent Contest at Miss Snark's First Victim!

Full Guidelines are here --
http://misssnarksfirstvictim.blogspo...t-contest.html

A snippet -
Quote:
This month's contest will include the following genres:
  • Women's Fiction (including Romance)
  • YA/MG (including SF/F)
  • Chapter Books (no picture books)
  • Fantasy
  • Commercial Fiction
  • Literary Fiction
Submissions are for COMPLETED MANUSCRIPTS ONLY.

Submissions are for THE FIRST 250 WORDS of your manuscript. Please do not stop in the middle of a

Your submission for this contest should be formatted as follows:
SCREEN NAME
TITLE
GENRE
(Followed by the excerpt here.)
*No "chapter one," chapter titles, etc.
If you enter, tell us!!!

#81 of 244 Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yay

Foggy is inspired and clean

I was on the radio! You can listen...let me know if you want to hear me I spoke about my poetry book and creating a business from your passion...it was fun and I think I did well!

#82 of 244 Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 PM

I'm new to this WAHM forum, but I'm a WAH writer/editor with an 11 wk old and am dying for the advice and commiseration of other WAHM writers! Please keep me on whatever list/group gets created - I'd really love that!
#83 of 244 Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerdoo View Post
I'm new to this WAHM forum, but I'm a WAH writer/editor with an 11 wk old and am dying for the advice and commiseration of other WAHM writers! Please keep me on whatever list/group gets created - I'd really love that!
Will let you know but meanwhile stay here with us! Welcome
#84 of 244 Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:

A snippet -

If you enter, tell us!!!
Can anyone tell me where to find a description of those genres? I think YA is Young Adult, but what is YA/MG?

Thanks for sharing that!
#85 of 244 Old 03-04-2010, 12:46 PM

YA/MG is Young Adult/Middle Grade

Middle Grade is generally ages 8-12, while Young Adult is usually ages 12 and up.

#86 of 244 Old 03-06-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiapa View Post
if you are going to write about real people/real events, even if the events/people are fictionalized and distorted within your story, YOU personally will still need to relive that event and come face to face with that person OVER and OVER and OVER again during the editing process...so beware.

Check out my writer's blog. I go over this issue extensively as I too wrote about a person and event that are real. There are some real heavy questions to ask yourself before doing so...
#87 of 244 Old 03-06-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanna-cat View Post

sure! email me
#88 of 244 Old 03-06-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:

I just wrote and wrote and wrote to the end...then started editing from the beginning and some of my events changed entirely, namely my climax and ending. I could never have thought up these new events if I had just sat and thought about what I wanted to happen. I had to let my story and characters take charge, and the only way to do that was to just write to the end. Even though that meant some chapters were written like this..."something happens here..." and left blank. That is totally ok to leave things blank in the first draft, or try something out and later trash the entire section because it no longer works after polishing the book from the beginning.

Plus, you'll learn more and more about your characters as you move on. DOn't get caught up trying to come up with the perfect events. Just skip it and keep on writing the rest of the story and come back to it when inspiration strikes!
#89 of 244 Old 03-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:

A snippet -

If you enter, tell us!!!
wow! how often does she have these contests? THANKS for posting this info here on MDC. So many contests out there, how do we find them all, eh?

I was going to enter, but I think I"ll wait until the next contest. Plus my genre I'm not sure about just yet. I'm thinking alternative/edgy/contemporary/fiction/women's...I don't know where I belong yet!...
#90 of 244 Old 03-06-2010, 04:22 PM

She has then periodically. Nathan Bransford is another I can think of who will have contests off and on as well. Colleen Lindsey just had one for a scholarship to the Backspace Conference. If I had thought ahead I would have posted that one.

I follow several writers and agents on Twitter. SO much great stuff and a lot of agents will post tips and answer questions during designated chat times. I use TweetDeck so I can organize who I follow by topic. I have a column for Books/Writing, one for Geekery, one for Friends, etc. Twitter is such an awesome resource.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page