Write at Home Moms - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 244 Old 03-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to join this thread, if you don't mind. I've had a few of you look over and edit some of my work, and you've given me the confidence to continue writing. Your advice was invaluable.

Last night, I plugged in my headphones to iTunes, downloaded a program called Bean, and wrote about 2600 words. I am writing a story about my son's life, and how his special needs have affected every one of us. I don't know if it will eventually be something I want to put out there, but right now I am writing it for myself. It's very cathartic.

Anyway, hello!
#122 of 244 Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Hello & Welcome! I love the idea of writing your family's story.

Has anyone done C. M. MAYO's Daily 5 Minute Writing Exercises? Felicia Day (love her!) wrote about using them when writing The Guild to spur her creativity. I'm thinking maybe I should commit and stick to that before I sign up for a class.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#123 of 244 Old 03-12-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace View Post
I know you can't share too much about the course, but can you give an example of a homework assignment and how much time each week it took? I'm wondering if I should add it to my plate or not.
I can't tell you what the exact assignments are but I can give you some details.

There is one assignment a week...some are shorter...some are longer...I spent no more than one hour per week on each assignment average...some took me ten minutes, some took more than an hour...however...I write very fast....my first assign was almost 1000 wds and took an hour...and I don't proof much.

You get the assignment..then you post it to your "study group" which is a bulletin board

Then the other students critique and they are kind...for the first lesson the mentors also critique but after the first the students have learned how and it's up to them.

The final lesson is a short story...the others focus on different aspects of writing..characterization, dialog etc. I found it very helpful...for example one of the first assignments I actually used characters from my novel so I could work out an issue I was having..nothing I wrote made it into the novel but it helped me work out things in my mind as to my character and her motivation etc.

There are chats on Sun and Wed nights which are optional..they are pretty informal..we talk about the assignment but we often digress...it's fun

I've gotten great story ideas out of there and one spawned a short story that will be published in a literary journal

I found the biggest advantage for me was using it to either work out something for my novel OR get my mind off my novel and clear out space in my brain.

It is all FREE though you can upgrade to full mentor support...I did that and found it helpful.

Though one of her critiques made me laugh a little...I used "shut up" in a dialog and she commented that she preferred "be quiet" because shut up was so rude sounding...I was going for rude

Anyway..I found it very worthwhile..tons of people didn't finish..but it was good

Carolyn
#124 of 244 Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM

Oh that is GREAT info. Thank you!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#125 of 244 Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Oh...and you should keep word count to around 500 or less except for the last one...I asked and was told 500-1000 by someone from another study group who had more time on her hands to read...so...500 wds week basically
#126 of 244 Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the LINK again if anyone is interested
#127 of 244 Old 03-12-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
I'm going to join this thread, if you don't mind. I've had a few of you look over and edit some of my work, and you've given me the confidence to continue writing. Your advice was invaluable.

Last night, I plugged in my headphones to iTunes, downloaded a program called Bean, and wrote about 2600 words. I am writing a story about my son's life, and how his special needs have affected every one of us. I don't know if it will eventually be something I want to put out there, but right now I am writing it for myself. It's very cathartic.

Anyway, hello!
Yay and welcome! I find writing makes my life so much better
#128 of 244 Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Anyway, hello!
So glad you are writing!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#129 of 244 Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
ENNE Imprints. It's a Canadian company.
Oh, this is cool! I missed that your novel is going to be published! Congrats!
Is it a new press? I can't find any info on it.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#130 of 244 Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 PM

midnightwriter, I took your suggestion and purchased that book, Stein On Writing. I also got copies of The Elements of Style, and On Writing by Stephen King, as recommended by the guy in the bookstore. While not a fan of Stephen King's books, I found that I really enjoyed this one. I am going to get into the others soon.

It feels really good to be writing about all of this stuff. I think it's doing me a lot of good, actually. Even if I never show it to anyone, it helps a lot to write it down and then look over it all. It's been a long journey for us.
#131 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post
Oh, this is cool! I missed that your novel is going to be published! Congrats!
Is it a new press? I can't find any info on it.
It's not new(I don't think, you know I never asked lol) but it's a small division of a larger company. It's online, that's how I found it, well that's how I submitted, they do have a website. They have several different divisions. They published my poetry book as well. My division is for new and emerging authors and they only accept Canadian work.

I just submitted for a new anthology they are doing as well. It's focus is "old loves." and I'm excited. It's poetry, short stories and essays on loves that didn't work out or died or whatever. It's a year away though.

The editor I'm working with is amazing. She was up front. This is not the American publishing scene but we will get you published and find you a fan base. That's all I want. I'm happy with them.

On to the next thing. My novel is due to be out on August 1. It's crazy how fast this is moving after stalling for so long. I was told it would take two years from acceptance to publication but it will be just under one.

And I'm writing a screen play next!

anyone else doing script frenzy in April?
#132 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
midnightwriter, I took your suggestion and purchased that book, Stein On Writing. I also got copies of The Elements of Style, and On Writing by Stephen King, as recommended by the guy in the bookstore. While not a fan of Stephen King's books, I found that I really enjoyed this one. I am going to get into the others soon.

It feels really good to be writing about all of this stuff. I think it's doing me a lot of good, actually. Even if I never show it to anyone, it helps a lot to write it down and then look over it all. It's been a long journey for us.
Stephen King's On Writing is the best writing book I've ever read. I am a King fan but that's not the reason. It's just easy, straight forward and makes sense. There's no bull in it. And it's extremely well written
#133 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:

I'm also not a fan of King, but I do hear everywhere, it is an excellent book. I kind of resisted buying it early on, and right now I feel I got my favorites to inspire me.

The one I find really inspiring, though it is not a strictly craft book, is Making a Literary Life by Carolyn See.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#134 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
It's not new(I don't think, you know I never asked lol) but it's a small division of a larger company. It's online, that's how I found it, well that's how I submitted, they do have a website. They have several different divisions. They published my poetry book as well. My division is for new and emerging authors and they only accept Canadian work.

I just submitted for a new anthology they are doing as well. It's focus is "old loves." and I'm excited. It's poetry, short stories and essays on loves that didn't work out or died or whatever. It's a year away though.

The editor I'm working with is amazing. She was up front. This is not the American publishing scene but we will get you published and find you a fan base. That's all I want. I'm happy with them.

On to the next thing. My novel is due to be out on August 1. It's crazy how fast this is moving after stalling for so long. I was told it would take two years from acceptance to publication but it will be just under one.

And I'm writing a screen play next!

anyone else doing script frenzy in April?
Cool! I still can't find anything by googling, but I suck at googling. I'm so interested because of my friend, she is a wonderful poet, just had some poetry published in a mag, and she would love the opportunity to query ENNE. Especially for an anthology!

If you don't feel sharing this publically, I'd appreciate a PM! Thanks!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#135 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I pm`d ya!
#136 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 02:49 PM

So, I have decided that I need some sort of waterproof notetaking system because I keep getting my best ideas in the shower.

#137 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I pm`d ya!
Thank you! Though for the life of me I still can't figured out who they are with. I forwared the info to y friend, she will have to decide what she thinks of them. I told her that I know one person (you) who is having great experiences with them.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#138 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
It's not new(I don't think, you know I never asked lol) but it's a small division of a larger company. It's online, that's how I found it, well that's how I submitted, they do have a website.
Oh cool!! What is the larger company name? Linkage? I'm interested to see what else they've published.

ETA: I forgot my other question! Were you able to skip the whole agent part because you had published with them before? Agents are pretty much required here in the U.S. to print with major publishers. (partly why I follow so many on Twitter and read their blogs)

#139 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace View Post
Oh cool!! What is the larger company name? Linkage? I'm interested to see what else they've published.

ETA: I forgot my other question! Were you able to skip the whole agent part because you had published with them before? Agents are pretty much required here in the U.S. to print with major publishers. (partly why I follow so many on Twitter and read their blogs)
No agents. Ever. Direct submission to the publisher.

googling my heart out..can't find a thing either...odd..I have it bookmarked on my computer...but it's disconnected and I"m on hubby's...if the royalties stop coming I'll worry
#140 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:

googling my heart out..can't find a thing either...odd..I have it bookmarked on m my computer...but it's disconnected and I"m on hubby's...if the royalties stop coming I'll worry
How do they send royalties, quarterly, or more frequently? Yeah, I only found the name in connection to your poetry book.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#141 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post
How do they send royalties, quarterly, or more frequently? Yeah, I only found the name in connection to your poetry book.
Yes and that's where I mention them online. They don't have an online presence.
#142 of 244 Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Here is something for the Canadians. I have nothing to submit but if I did I`d certainly give it a try!

SIMON FRASER COMPETITION

Let me know if you enter!
#143 of 244 Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:

googling my heart out..can't find a thing either...odd..I have it bookmarked on my computer...but it's disconnected and I"m on hubby's...if the royalties stop coming I'll worry
One main thing is to never pay a publisher to publish you. As long as you are not paying them, and they pay you; or even if they don't pay you, but you don't pay either, it is all good.

There are some presses who market themselves as a cooperative, and this also means they want the author to contribute to their own publication, either in part or in full. This is basically a vanity press with a shiny new face lifft.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#144 of 244 Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the novel link, Carolyn! I went to school there. Can I finish by May 31st? No idea, but I'll try.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#145 of 244 Old 03-16-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, agreed. They pay me. It's great

There is a place for those companies. I know a fellow who wrote his memoirs and he's paying to publish it to give a copy to each member of his family...he's got terminal cancer.

I hope you get it done in time Widemouthfrog!
#146 of 244 Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody doing scriptfrenzy? I've got the opportunity to write a screen play next year and I thought I would practice it this year..it's not something I've done before...
#147 of 244 Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, agreed. They pay me. It's great

There is a place for those companies. I know a fellow who wrote his memoirs and he's paying to publish it to give a copy to each member of his family...he's got terminal cancer.

I hope you get it done in time Widemouthfrog!
I agree that there's a place for the POD services. It only becomes a problem when a press has misleading advertising and makes writers believe that the publisher is not a vanity press, while in fact they are. They hope that new hopeful writers won't know the difference. It is easy to deceive a new writer and tell them that nowadays everyone has to pay at least something etc, and then they promise distribution, while book stores won't even consider stocking your book if it is pubbed by a vanity press.

Amazon now offers a POD service, CreateSpace, where you don't pay upfront. Lulu is another place, but Amazon seems to be a much better choice right now.

It seems that you have a great press that works hard for you, but it is worth repeating that one has to be very careful before signing anything, if there's no information on the press found on-line, when it is impossible to check what other authors were pubbed by them, when your work is solicited and so on.

Your situation is not typical at all, and most situation that seem like yours would, sadly, be a scam...

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#148 of 244 Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Anybody doing scriptfrenzy? I've got the opportunity to write a screen play next year and I thought I would practice it this year..it's not something I've done before...
I'm in...although I don't see anywhere stating that you 'have' to donate the $. Are you? I'm sure I would not be able to raise it by April (side note: I'm not good with reading OR following directions. I know this a shortcoming, has been all my life, and I'm not sure I can fix it...)
#149 of 244 Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 PM

I have been MIA for a month now...had tons of paperwork and doctor stuff to do...now feeling the need to write coming back . Hope it gets so out of control again that I can't go a day without writing! LOVE that feeling...

welcome to all new fellow writers

I read and posted my critique for Miss Snark's First Victim and dare I say, it was way more fun than going to my actual critique group! I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to go to the group. I just feel like I'm being held back, kwim? I'd rather write and take a few courses here and there that fit my own needs, instead of waiting to hear whether or not the people in my group liked what I wrote (none of them read anything in the genre I write in). But then again, I don't want to join a group just to quit...

Allgirls: I think I'm going to take your advice. Finish the final edits THEN write the query letter. I've got one in the works (note: NOT the one on my blog...that was totally horrible and totally for laughs ). But I'm still not sure about my ending. I love my Epilogue, but the actual last chapter of the book...not so sure yet...but since I'm only on chapter 4 in my final edits and the book is 25 chapters, I've got a while before I have to figure it out...not sure if that's a good or bad thing
#150 of 244 Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post

I read and posted my critique for Miss Snark's First Victim and dare I say, it was way more fun than going to my actual critique group! I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to go to the group. I just feel like I'm being held back, kwim? I'd rather write and take a few courses here and there that fit my own needs, instead of waiting to hear whether or not the people in my group liked what I wrote (none of them read anything in the genre I write in). But then again, I don't want to join a group just to quit...
o
I so agree that taking courses and writing is the best at a certain point. I was a part of a writing group, and it was great, because it was very small and I just loved hanging out with those people, but its purpose for me was mostly inspirational. I felt so energized after the meetings, just because of spending time with them. But then we moved, and I can't imagine going to another group--my needs have changed. Though I'm looking forward to wanting to be part of a group again...

I've been away from here too, and am sort of trying to jump in now!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page