Write at Home Moms - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok...so I had it right the first time...I was second guessing myself...I had were...was going to email to say "was" but it really is "were" and it makes perfect sense...I knew what felt right when I wrote it but then I started thinking(I really shouldn't do that )...which is why she didn't change it....

it's because I can't let the darned thing go...it's really hard to see a manuscript with no red marks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace View Post
In getting my OpenOffice set up for a spreadsheet, I found a great template on openoffice.org that I'm going to try because it is free.
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/node/1577

Also: allgirls, I saw this free software and thought of you since you mentioned you're writing a screenplay in April - http://celtx.com/screens.html
Thanks! I'll look into it! I need something for sure That's awesome!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Hi,

I hope that you don't mind me butting in with my question. My writing is a lot less literary than most of your work seems to be.

I am writing some texts for an informational website and I cannot decide whether to use the second or third person. They are on a parenting topic that gives a lot of people a lot of frustration. A lot of information in this area is controversial. I feel that the third person makes it easier to present information, but can get impersonal and unwieldy.

Another site I write for uses second and third person at different points in articles. Third person is used for presenting information and second person to get people to perhaps change the way they think about things. But I feel that this can get a bit 'messy'.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts and suggestions.

Mama to DS1 and DS2
Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 PM

RUN!!! March 24th only on Miss Snark's First Victim -- A new contest!!

Quote:
Something New! Gimme Your First 25 Words
We've done "First Sentence" once or twice, and the rest is mostly the first 250 words. Today, let's chop off a zero and look at the first TWENTY-FIVE.

Starting now, send the following to me at facelesswords(at)gmail.com:

TITLE
GENRE

25 words
Full Details and Rules

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 PM

Did anyone enter? I wasn't sure if the manuscript had to be completed or not, so I held off.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

I started my next novel. This writing thing is addictive.

I have had the story idea for a while and now is the time! I wrote 2000 words. It is a completely different genre and I will have to start the whole finding a publisher thing over.

That 25 word thing...I thought wow, cool I think I will enter.

Then today I sat down and read some first 25 words of some of my favourite books. It made me think. I can do better than I have been. They are the first lines closes to 25 words.

Here they are...can you guess who wrote them and which is your favourite. It got me thinking..first lines are important.

Peoples lives-their real lives, as opposed to their simple physical existences-begin at different times. The real life of Thad Beaumont, a young boy who was born and raised in the Ridgeway section of Bergenfield, New Jersey, began in 1960.

Dr. Jordan said quietly,” your wife is dying, John. She has a few hours more, thats all. “ He added, conscious of the pale, anguished face of the slight young man before him.

Renowned curator Jacques sauniere staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum’s Grand Gallery. He lunged for the nearest painting he could see, a Caravaggio.

Bobby Garfield’s father had been one of those fellows who start losing their hair in their twenties and are completely bald by the age of forty-five or so.

It unrolled slowly, forced to show its colors, curling and snapping back whenever one of us turned l
oose.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
That 25 word thing...I thought wow, cool I think I will enter.

Then today I sat down and read some first 25 words of some of my favourite books. It made me think. I can do better.
This is what happened to me, too. I actually tweeted about it this morning - that it has been a good exercise in tightening up my writing and packing a bigger punch with less.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 PM

Even though I didn't enter, I'm commenting on several of the entries. It's been fun. I have to stop for awhile though, since I went through 76 and still have 100 to go.

I recognized both your and MommyHawk's entries!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

I havenèt been back to check..I entered the first line of my prologue instead of my first chapter by mistake. Huge difference. I commented on a bunch of the first ones. I might pop over there. I figured I was too biased to comment on Mommy Hawks because I am fascinated by her story anyway. It would be too glaringly favouritism...or perhaps I should...either way, it gets published I will buy it

I had an email from the publisher today. They are working on the cover photo now...should have some idea of what it will look like soon....that is exciting!

Here is the first sentence of the first chapter of my novel. The one I should have entered. Too late to change it now..book gone.

The kitchen smelled of turkey-neck soup and fresh-baked bread. Mercy Cormack had no idea that her daughter would never eat that meal again—her favourite-- for many years
Old 03-26-2010, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did anyone enter? I wasn't sure if the manuscript had to be completed or not, so I held off.
No I dont think it had to be completed..please excuse my typos..my punctuation keys are wonky.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Just popped back from my 25 worder...they are dead on...lol..but I do have to laugh at the last one...too much show, not enough tell..seriously? Is there such a thing? Guess I listened to my editor a little too much...haha!! I cannot wait to show her this. She was all Show dont tell all over my manuscript...and I had to rewrite so much to do just that....As to the title..she does not like it...I will live.

I would never do it but...

If they had this again it would be interesting to post the first sentences of a famous novel...to see the reactions.

Like this one by John Irving from Hotel New Hampshire...

The summer my father bought the bear, non of us was born--we werent even conceived; not Frank, the oldest; not Franny, the loudest;not me, the next; and not the youngest of us Lilly and Egg.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadaan View Post
Hi,

I hope that you don't mind me butting in with my question. My writing is a lot less literary than most of your work seems to be.

I am writing some texts for an informational website and I cannot decide whether to use the second or third person. They are on a parenting topic that gives a lot of people a lot of frustration. A lot of information in this area is controversial. I feel that the third person makes it easier to present information, but can get impersonal and unwieldy.

Another site I write for uses second and third person at different points in articles. Third person is used for presenting information and second person to get people to perhaps change the way they think about things. But I feel that this can get a bit 'messy'.

Hm, it is difficult for me to envison how this would work...Second person would be something like: "You get up in the morning and grab your favorite sling"...But how can you write an entire information article in the second person? To me that would be too informal.

Then third person would be something like: "Sally was never certain whether cosleeping made her baby cranky"...but again, how would the entire article sound? Or do you mean something like a scientific paper would be writter: "It is said that parents who co-sleep are less tired and accident prone. Research suggests that...:"

Well, after writing this down, I think that 2nd person is too informal, because it is basically an equivalent of the first, in terms of comprehension. It is almost even more intimate that the first.

It all depends on the tone you want to strike.

Good luck!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
ENNE Imprints. It's a Canadian company.
Is it the same as ENNA Imprints?

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Just popped back from my 25 worder...they are dead on...lol..but I do have to laugh at the last one...too much show, not enough tell..seriously? Is there such a thing? Guess I listened to my editor a little too much...haha!! I cannot wait to show her this. She was all Show dont tell all over my manuscript...and I had to rewrite so much to do just that....As to the title..she does not like it...I will live.

I would never do it but...

If they had this again it would be interesting to post the first sentences of a famous novel...to see the reactions.

Like this one by John Irving from Hotel New Hampshire...

The summer my father bought the bear, non of us was born--we werent even conceived; not Frank, the oldest; not Franny, the loudest;not me, the next; and not the youngest of us Lilly and Egg.
Yeah, that was a strange comment--too much show!

So I'm a bit obsessive and since I started that search re Enne / Enna imprints i can't let go

So I'm finding cool stuff about you So neat of you to start the poetry society! Do you offer classes yourself or someone else teaches? How was the enrollment? I dream of doing something like this one day... For flash fiction.

I just wonder if people are eager to sign up and participate. How do you promote / advertise? Do you have authors other than yourself so far? The page looks super nice!

I keep thinking, Hm... flash fiction society...or like a club or a group. Maybe it could work...

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I do readings at local seniors residences for free and they buy my book. I teach, enrollment was small, 3 students but fun. I sort of collaborate unofficially with the local libraries and their poets in residence. I haven't updated the site in a while..the library has been at a stand still, the main guy has been away. So far the website has been all about me and I stopped posting because that was not the intent...but until the library has some stuff happening there is nothing to say.

Officially, my own website is Breeze Daze Books. That is my company. At the advice of my publisher I started my own business to promote on this end. A website is in the works...That way no matter what, there is one place to find my books.

I have a video of my book launch reading and it's being edited into a short promotional video. It was just shot by a friend of mine but came out really well. I'm also working on You Tube videos, poetry readings.

Oh and I will be hosting my own radio show online in the fall all goes well. So anyone on here with work being published or any other success may be invited to be interviewed. The show will focus on up and coming writers, artists etc. to help them break into the field.

My career is very local and regional but I can call it that now..there is a little money, local recognition(which is mostly because of the television reporting gig) and it frees me up to do the important stuff. Writing.

I'm busy.

Which means I won't be around for a bit...kid has chicken pox and I am in the middle of painting the house. And I'm reading and writing.

How's the agent thing going?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post

I keep thinking, Hm... flash fiction society...or like a club or a group. Maybe it could work...

I think you should go for it! My friend in Florida attends a similar thing...start a website/blog, we have a local yahoo group I tapped into, go on to writing forums like Nanowrimo etc, and check out the local/regional groups and invite them to join...just do it...

I would so join if I were nearby! Oh..and university English departments, high school English teachers..all great resources to find students.

I'm actually speaking at some high schools in the fall and helping the school put together a book about the town. The local newpaper press is publishing it for them. It's about the town, written by students.

I like the way things are going and the things I get to do and I just got out there and started to do them. People are very receptive.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I think you should go for it! My friend in Florida attends a similar thing...start a website/blog, we have a local yahoo group I tapped into, go on to writing forums like Nanowrimo etc, and check out the local/regional groups and invite them to join...just do it...

I would so join if I were nearby! Oh..and university English departments, high school English teachers..all great resources to find students.

I'm actually speaking at some high schools in the fall and helping the school put together a book about the town. The local newpaper press is publishing it for them. It's about the town, written by students.

I like the way things are going and the things I get to do and I just got out there and started to do them. People are very receptive.
That's awesome! Good for you for just doing things. Maybe one day...If / when my novel is published...I feel like such a nobody to go and do readings, but somehow I think this feeling won't really change with publication . I'd love to go to nursing homes, but I don't really write anything appropriate I can't go with a story called "sh$t", right? I don't really write feel-good-inspirational stories. Or who knows...

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:

you are so brave!! my aunt wanted me to speak at her school about my book and i just can't do it. i have a "meet the author's night" at our local library tonight and i'm so nervous. i don't even have to do anything! sign some books and answer some questions, i guess. say "thank you" a lot, i imagine. i'm too terrified to do book signings in book stores where they expect readings etc.
i like hiding behind my computer doing freelance work MUCH better! i get paid to write and i don't have to do anything nervewracking for it--except worry about bad feedback but so far, so good on that front.) i'm even getting used to interviewing people on the phone (i hate talking on the phone-i like one-on-one better.)

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Hi,

is it possible for you to ask an editor for guidelines? i hate working without guidelines for sites with specific purposes, though occasionally i do. they get what they get if they don't give me any.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
So, I have decided that I need some sort of waterproof notetaking system because I keep getting my best ideas in the shower.
i think they call those assistants!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:21 PM

ok, I'm back! How's everyone's writing going? What's the news around here?

I've had my nose in Strunk & White trying to figure out my problems, and I think I might have it figured out...we shall see...

oh, and again, rewriting chapter one. Pretty soon, it'll be so rock solid you can build a house on it! Or at least a novel
Old 05-21-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I'd go for 3rd person if you haven't already written them. Like you said, easier to 'hear' from.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean! I've talked to a few people about my book in the survivor world and now I'm going to a conference in October to talk about it and be a vendor to sell it. Also, I started guest blogging with them and I've got fans already how nuts! this is so exciting, to see it all happening, all because I 'just did it'. I'm just so amazed.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Hi all. Haven't been here in a while - still revising - and need some community - and possibly readers.

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
Old 05-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
I know what you mean! I've talked to a few people about my book in the survivor world and now I'm going to a conference in October to talk about it and be a vendor to sell it. Also, I started guest blogging with them and I've got fans already how nuts! this is so exciting, to see it all happening, all because I 'just did it'. I'm just so amazed.
Awesome!! Will you link the conference so we can check it out?

Old 05-24-2010, 03:47 PM

For a bit there, all of my writing time went into composing IEP arguments and proposals since we were having a big issue with the Middle School and getting appropriate services, etc. My creativity was zapped. BUT! All is resolved so I am back to work on my novel.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyClaire View Post
Hi all. Haven't been here in a while - still revising - and need some community - and possibly readers.
I'll read!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
For a bit there, all of my writing time went into composing IEP arguments and proposals since we were having a big issue with the Middle School and getting appropriate services, etc. My creativity was zapped. BUT! All is resolved so I am back to work on my novel.
congrats! getting back to the good stuff is always good

I'm getting back to it myself. Took a week off, felt like a year! I'm giving up TV watching until I finish. Not that I watch it ever, really, unless I'm folding laundry, but if I do have time at the end of the day, I can veg for hours and not even realize it...I should be editing instead! Insomnia wrote my book, I need to start not sleeping again
Old 05-28-2010, 01:25 PM

I see a lot of aspiring novelists here, which is powerful! How many of you have ever participated in NaNoWriMo? I entered (and finished) for the first time last year. It was grueling, but a lot of fun. I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in becoming a novelist.

Do any of you publish on AC? What about Examiner?

Also, if any of you are ever in the market for freelance writing work at home jobs for moms, I'd suggest you visit:

http://www.workathomemomcenter.com/joblistings

And, of course, there are content sites you can write for like DemandStudios, BreakStudios, BrightHub and QualityGal.

They list all sorts of telecommuting jobs, including freelance writing.

Also, just FYI, I've gotten a few private clients off of CraigsList, as people are frequently looking for writers there.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:51 PM

User Tag List