Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Work from Home Parents (http://www.mothering.com/forum/181-work-home-parents/)
-   -   Write at Home Moms (http://www.mothering.com/forum/181-work-home-parents/1181816-write-home-moms.html)

allgirls 01-09-2010 08:23 PM

This thread is for moms from the Mother's Writing Group forum to hang out in until the Social Club Function is in place.



Allgirls

1jooj 01-10-2010 09:06 PM

Thanks for having the presence of mind to take care of this.

OJazzy1 01-11-2010 12:08 AM

That is a bummer that "our" place is being closed... can totally udnerstand the lack of time/funds though!

MommyHawk 01-11-2010 02:04 AM

did I miss something? why are we stuck back here? and what is closing?

allgirls 01-11-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
did I miss something? why are we stuck back here? and what is closing?
The writer's forum...it's closing Georgia has a notice in the forum.

When the function is set we will get to set up our own social club(which is really cool and better than the forum set up I think).

Until then we are here.

Allgirls

MommyHawk 01-11-2010 08:45 PM

OMG...I've never been homeless before...I'm glad you mamas are here...

so...let's play...what's your genre? and if you can, fill in the blanks to tell us what your book/story is about in one sentence:

My story is about ___(character)_________that wants more than anything to _____(goal)_________ but can’t because ____(conflict)_______.

I got the idea from this link

MommyHawk 01-11-2010 08:57 PM

ok, here it goes...

genre:
women's fiction (I think it's got too many 'issues' to be considered chiclit)

my story in one sentence:
Matty Bell longs to rediscover her self-confidence, empowering her to pursue and enjoy the passions of her life once more, yet she is held captive by her painful past until the night of her thirtieth birthday.


it's good to have a pitch ready in case you get into an elevator with an agent

allgirls 01-11-2010 10:20 PM

My story is about Christianna(Chris)who wants more than anything to __reunite with her lost love_________ but can’t because he went to prison and she refused to wait for him.

And regrets it her entire life...and then.....

Women's fiction/chicklit

allgirls 01-12-2010 02:01 AM

I jumped in and posted some excerpts from my novel in my writing class and WVU and it was well received!

In fact..there was nothing but praise, no criticism.

It made me happy

Just sharing.

MommyHawk 01-12-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
I jumped in and posted some excerpts from my novel in my writing class and WVU and it was well received!

In fact..there was nothing but praise, no criticism.

It made me happy

Just sharing.
what class are you taking? is that West Virginia Univ? online?

MommyHawk 01-12-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
My story is about Christianna(Chris)who wants more than anything to __reunite with her lost love_________ but can’t because he went to prison and she refused to wait for him.

And regrets it her entire life...and then.....

Women's fiction/chicklit
is this the guy from the bar that no one else can see?

allgirls 01-12-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
is this the guy from the bar that no one else can see?
Nope..must be somebody else's novel. My guy is a poor misguided guy who took a wrong turn after his beloved aunt passed away, fell in with the wrong crowd blahbitty..blah blah..he's beautiful though...I love my guy

allgirls 01-12-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
what class are you taking? is that West Virginia Univ? online?
No, Writer's Village U. Someone today even said "I wish I could write like you."

I'm chuffed..I was so scared to post...they're not mean but they are picky...

Now the actual class part might be tougher...writing under pressure, on a deadline, assignment stuff.

But I'm excited for my first real lesson.

You should sign up...I think it's going to be a great experience...not sure if you can still join this one but another one starts after it. And it's free!

allgirls 01-12-2010 07:14 PM

Here is what I posted...three separate ones..they've been on my blog and they are mine so I don't think there are copyright issues(except I have copyright..lol)

1. "The two men looked at the horizon and as they did the divine hand that drew the seven natural wonders of the world and placed them exactly where they belonged, the hand that sketched the constellations and the planets, the ocean floor and the blue faces of the arctic glaciers, began to etch the grey coast of Newfoundland shade by brilliant shade. Eventually the unlikely companions could make out the individual rocks and trees and by and by they could see the ferry terminal where they would part ways."



2. "She was off plucking a dead flower from a planter and it gave Chris a moment to hesitate and then she offered words that rang fake in her ears.
“Time will make it easier I guess” her mind still on the revelation of the moment before. Oh God, what if this was her fault.
Guilt laid a familiar net over her head, trapping her in its mesh, tangling her with the idea that she had caused this, that she had been the reason he was sad. The reason he had died. She was caught in the idea, the thoughts repeating themselves, dragging her under, drowning her with the possibility that because she had let him go he had gone for good."


3. "Clothes were strewn in surprised piles. The counter held dirty dishes, there was stale water in the sink, the traces of soap bubbles disappearing as the water cooled to a tepid, grey pond. The greasy algae stuck to the sides of the stainless steel sink in a slubby white ring. The beds were unmade and boxes were scattered all over the apartment, as though they had been distributed randomly by some selective tornado. Christianna revelled in the mess. Her nose wrinkled at the smell, tempting her to clean it up, put it back the way it was but she resisted the urge, smiling to herself. She would clean it up in her own good time. It was her secret revenge for the days of living in what she called sanitary confinement."

OJazzy1 01-12-2010 08:54 PM

I got some writing books at the library to hopefully spark some new thoughts so that I can get rolling on both my fiction and start filling in the outline for my non-fiction. I also have an idea for a children's book rolling around in my head but we will just have to see.

allgirls 01-13-2010 06:03 PM

So I submitted my first assignment to the class...I'm scared

We had to write from the point of view of a character describing ourselves...and we have to answer/give feedback to the character about how to deal with the writer.

I think my piece reveals more about my character than me...but I'm limited for time and I've really needed to flesh out my character more.

So I went with it.

I hope they aren't too hard on me

Jazzy...what books did you get? I have so much reading to do I'm not sure why I'm even asking...I just want to know and possibly add them to my list!

Allgirls

MommyHawk 01-14-2010 02:40 PM

SCRATCH THAT!!!

I revamped my "one sentence" pitch for my novel...the other was too lame...here's my new improved squeaky clean version:

Matty Bell longs to rediscover her self-confidence, empowering her to pursue and enjoy the passions of her life once more, yet she is held captive by her painful past until the night of her thirtieth birthday.

phew! much better! and tells the whole story in one sentence...that only took forever I think it's really important to sit down and do this so YOU know what your story is about. Helps with that first chapter that is supposed to set up the whole novel without telling the whole novel...I'm re-editing that chapter this week...and probably again a few more times until I get it right...why are first chapters sooo darn difficult?!

MommyHawk 01-14-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
No, Writer's Village U. Someone today even said "I wish I could write like you."

I'm chuffed..I was so scared to post...they're not mean but they are picky...

Now the actual class part might be tougher...writing under pressure, on a deadline, assignment stuff.

But I'm excited for my first real lesson.

You should sign up...I think it's going to be a great experience...not sure if you can still join this one but another one starts after it. And it's free!
What? Wait? did i just hear my favorite word in the whole wide world (besides LOVE)...FREE??? FREE!!!

Oh, baby, I'm there!!!

allgirls 01-14-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
What? Wait? did i just hear my favorite word in the whole wide world (besides LOVE)...FREE??? FREE!!!

Oh, baby, I'm there!!!
Yep..We just got our first lesson for the class Wednesday...should I ask if it's too late?

Yes..it's free...and actually it's pretty cheap to join! I'm loving it so far

I'll see if I can hook you up..the assignments are short 500 to 1000 words and they like shorter and you can use it to work out your WIP plus it's very supportive.

I do not work for the company and this is not spam. I'm just happy pleased so far

Eta..posted it on the board so now we wait

Allgirls!

allgirls 01-14-2010 10:52 PM

Registration is closed but they'll start up a new session in April. I'll probably do it again at that time or another course

If you join for April I'll sign up again..it'd be fun to do it together

Bella Catalina 01-15-2010 12:49 AM

Glad I found you mamas over here! I think my mouth fell open when I saw the notice that the forum was closing. At least we can hang out here for now.
I signed up for the course in April
I've done very little (read no) writing since we've been back (a week now). We've all been sick (me and the kids twice in a month, thanks to DH), plus with jetlag, the boys have been up really early every morning and crashing by dinner time. Prime writing time at 5am... but only when there are no children whining in my ear I really hope that this is the end to a very rotten six months... life can only get better from here on out!

allgirls 01-15-2010 01:18 AM

Yay..that will make three of us in April

1jooj 01-15-2010 10:06 AM

If my current schedule is any indication, I'll need a new strategy to make progress. I'm back to creative work, which does suck the juices. And I kinda got pulled into a minor crisis, so it has been a lot of hours. I've already talked to my boss about it, and she knows they'll need to manage my workload to reduce my hours. It's too bad. I like the work (love the paycheck), but need some time and energy left to write my own work.

I will absolutely make some progress this weekend, though. We'll be shoveling manure during the day, which is sure to leave some creative energy for the evenings!

allgirls 01-15-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
If my current schedule is any indication, I'll need a new strategy to make progress. I'm back to creative work, which does suck the juices. And I kinda got pulled into a minor crisis, so it has been a lot of hours. I've already talked to my boss about it, and she knows they'll need to manage my workload to reduce my hours. It's too bad. I like the work (love the paycheck), but need some time and energy left to write my own work.

I will absolutely make some progress this weekend, though. We'll be shoveling manure during the day, which is sure to leave some creative energy for the evenings!
Life's like that. I've written very little this week..something else to do every day. While I like that in someways, it's good to be busy and it gives me some alone time to think I miss the creative outlet.

I find I write in bursts. When I get the time I just go for it...because there will be times when I'm busy..like the end of Nov early Dec when I had the kids catching every virus going around

Join the class with us in April..that might help you. You can work on your own stuff as the assignments


Things will work out.

MommyHawk 01-16-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
Registration is closed but they'll start up a new session in April. I'll probably do it again at that time or another course

If you join for April I'll sign up again..it'd be fun to do it together
which classes are you taking?

MommyHawk 01-16-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
I find I write in bursts. When I get the time I just go for it...because there will be times when I'm busy..like the end of Nov early Dec when I had the kids catching every virus going around
have you tried kefir? it tastes like yogurt, but unlike the good bacteria in yogurt that passes through your system along with everything else, the good bacteria in kefir colonizes and continues to fight off pathogens in the gut. I get mine at the grocery store, not too hard to find.

allgirls 01-17-2010 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
have you tried kefir? it tastes like yogurt, but unlike the good bacteria in yogurt that passes through your system along with everything else, the good bacteria in kefir colonizes and continues to fight off pathogens in the gut. I get mine at the grocery store, not too hard to find.
They won't eat it. They caught H1N1 and it knocked their immune systems down...we had strep, bladder infection, pneumonia, ear infection, stomach virus, common cold..pretty much every thing out there. I had a mild case of the stomach virus(cramping only) but fought it all off myself.

I'm taking a beginning creative writing class but I'm looking into a novel writing workshop..it's designed specifically for writing a novel.

MommyHawk 01-18-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
They won't eat it. They caught H1N1 and it knocked their immune systems down...we had strep, bladder infection, pneumonia, ear infection, stomach virus, common cold..pretty much every thing out there. I had a mild case of the stomach virus(cramping only) but fought it all off myself.

I'm taking a beginning creative writing class but I'm looking into a novel writing workshop..it's designed specifically for writing a novel.
ever tried kombucha? you really have to like a vinegary taste to like it...probiotic tablets go down easy too - I hope you guys feel better soon! that stinks to be so sick

1jooj 01-18-2010 07:27 PM

allgirls...got more info on the novel writing course? I haven't actively sought anything, but I wonder whether the structure might be a help. I don't know...

Happily reporting 1300w today. Getting a short work breather, so I put in a decent workout, came home and wrote. That puts me over 11,000w, which is good progress. As long as I keep it up, I need to learn to be happy with that.

Now, for the afternoon, I will shut down, get offline and be here now with my kids. Then I can write a little more before bed. Should be able to write again tomorrow, too, but the rest of the week is yet to be seen. But progress is progress!

allgirls 01-18-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
ever tried kombucha? you really have to like a vinegary taste to like it...probiotic tablets go down easy too - I hope you guys feel better soon! that stinks to be so sick
nah..I'm a let the body heal itself kinda gal..I give nothing They seem to be moving past it now..the sugar cravings have gone from the little one and she's eating much better foods. I think we've turned a corner. They had all of that in a six week span that ended two weeks before Christmas but they've been well for a while. I'm not a big herb user myself. Hopefully their natural immunity will kick in now.

The class..I'll pm you a link if you like. I've got 2 of my fb friends registered and it's great practice. I really liked it. Had my first chat last night..it was very light hearted and fun. I drank scotch and told this story...had 'em laughin'

Oh..I wrote my first entire show for the news. I did the interview, transcribed it and wrote it..let's hope the producer likes it

I'm not writing much..exhaustion. But it'll come back, it always does. I do wonder how people on strict deadlines do it


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.