Art quilts? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can one make real money selling art quilts? I see some on the internet that look pretty beautiful, but do people pay for them? I am not yet a quilter, but will be taking a class real soon and i have most of the tools i need for the job. I wonder if this would be something worth doing, or should i aim for making money another way? I am trying to stay at home with 5 kids and make money. Welfare is a slap in the face, the rates are so low it is criminal.
#2 of 7 Old 01-26-2010, 03:29 PM

I think in this economy, people are only justifying spending money on things that are very functional as well as pretty. I'm not sure if the amazing quilts are selling, but possibly custom bedding for kids sells better? I see people advertising on Craigslist for it. I love quilts, but only ones I can afford are ones on clearance at box stores.

I hate to be a downer, but coming from someone whose sole family income comes from self-employment/full time home business, it's rough right now. You have to get money coming in from different streams to keep you afloat.
#3 of 7 Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it. I am keeping my eyes and mind open to possibilities of things i can do from home. I have a few ideas. I will likely do quilts, perhaps stockpile them until the Christmas season when people are looking for unique gifts for their loved ones. What sort of business are you into?
#4 of 7 Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 PM

We have screenprinting/embroidery/graphic design company. I think getting some stuff worked up is a great idea. Keep an eye on the current retail color trends and motifs when you're shopping for fabrics. Sometimes we take a stroll through the department stores when we need to get new ideas on what is selling and get lots of inspiration there.
#5 of 7 Old 01-31-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa View Post
We have screenprinting/embroidery/graphic design company. I think getting some stuff worked up is a great idea. Keep an eye on the current retail color trends and motifs when you're shopping for fabrics. Sometimes we take a stroll through the department stores when we need to get new ideas on what is selling and get lots of inspiration there.
Those are great ideas! I do look at trends, yes, but sometimes i feel real stubborn about what i am working on. I want it to not be like other people's, i guess it is hard to be unique all the time. I have had other people tell me not to take offense when something you poured your heart into does not sell, it is a matter of personal taste i guess. Maybe i can have my "for profit" stuff and i can have my "art" stuff. I am sure there is a way. i am interested in screen printing too, maybe one day i can mix medias, i think that would be way cool!
#6 of 7 Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Honestly I think you have a better chance using your quilting skills to make less expensive more practicle quilts. You may sell one or two really fancy expensive quilts in a year or you dould sell 5-10 simple practicle quilts in a month and end up making more money in the long run. if you are selling a nice product at a good price word will travel fast. I make simple block quilts with left over scraps and can not keep them in stock. I don't make a ton but I can crank them out pretty quickly and I have very little materials cost. Another thing I have made good cash on is bedding sets (like a previous poster mentioned) toddler and infant sets are so cheap and easy to make. crib bumpers are glorified quilts, and crib sheets are super easy.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 7 Old 02-04-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
Honestly I think you have a better chance using your quilting skills to make less expensive more practicle quilts. You may sell one or two really fancy expensive quilts in a year or you dould sell 5-10 simple practicle quilts in a month and end up making more money in the long run. if you are selling a nice product at a good price word will travel fast. I make simple block quilts with left over scraps and can not keep them in stock. I don't make a ton but I can crank them out pretty quickly and I have very little materials cost. Another thing I have made good cash on is bedding sets (like a previous poster mentioned) toddler and infant sets are so cheap and easy to make. crib bumpers are glorified quilts, and crib sheets are super easy.
I completely understand what you are saying. i took a class and so far, i am doing well. there is so much to learn. What a beautiful hobby quilting is. What i find unfortunate is that my two teachers have turned up their noses when i mentioned using materials from old clothes, blankets and such to make quilts. They also made the whole class buy their materials from the most expensive store in town, and there was no warning, so no budgeting time, it came out to like $85.00! There is no way i would have normally spent that much when i only had $200 to go the WHOLE month with 4.5 kids and myself. I do think i can make a go of it for fun and for profit tho. I am also looking into making diapers from home to make money. There are no other diaper makers in my city, i have an old friend who has a children's boutique, AND i am sure they would love custom made children's bedding sets as well. I know all this sewing takes time away from family. I am pretty much doing it alone, so my time is extra precious. I am looking at ways to make it all work out...baby steps, right?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page