Can WAHMs make decent money sewing diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking about doing this, but i am concerned that it will not make much money. I really believe in cloth diapering and can sell it if i need to. I am just concerned that it might be real hard to make money doing it. The materials cost money and there is a lot of time that will need to be devoted, which should also be factored into profit. Do any of you other mom's make a decent living doing this?
#2 of 8 Old 02-01-2010, 04:16 PM

Check out the business forum on the Diaper Sewing Divas.

The general consensus is that the market is glutted to overflowing with cloth diaper makers, with commercial manufacturers entering the market from overseas, as well. That being said, doing what you enjoy and believe in from home, has it's benefits even if top dollar financial rewards isn't one of them. You can still find your niche.
#3 of 8 Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi View Post
Check out the business forum on the Diaper Sewing Divas.

The general consensus is that the market is glutted to overflowing with cloth diaper makers, with commercial manufacturers entering the market from overseas, as well. That being said, doing what you enjoy and believe in from home, has it's benefits even if top dollar financial rewards isn't one of them. You can still find your niche.
Thank you for your resource. i can see how it is glutted on the net, that is for sure. I live in a community that is a little isolated where no one is making diapers locally. i think people really like to touch and see what they are thinking about buying. one of my friends from university owns a children's boutique and another boutique owner in town mentioned they would take my product on if they liked what they seen. I could market on the net, and probably would, but i think my primary aim would be local, boosting the local economy. I just have to get a few hundred dollars together so i can get the right materials. It will take some time.
#4 of 8 Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 PM

I have heard that local sales of cloth diapering supplies can be a real gold mine for WAHPs. Check in with your local LLL for marketing opportunities. I heard that they can be a wonderful resource for potential cloth dipe clients. Good luck!
#5 of 8 Old 02-02-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

what is "LLL?" yes, i might be able to make some money here. It is a pity i cannot start on it right away. i hope no one steals my idea
#6 of 8 Old 02-03-2010, 12:37 AM

La Leche League
#7 of 8 Old 02-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if you can sell locally in a shop that totally changes things. definitely get some samples made up and talk with the shop owners about pricing and stuff. As a general rule I would say there is not much money in it but if you could sell in a shop that would be awesome. I am much more likely to buy stuff if i can walk into a store and have a little while to fall in love and justify the expense.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#8 of 8 Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
if you can sell locally in a shop that totally changes things. definitely get some samples made up and talk with the shop owners about pricing and stuff. As a general rule I would say there is not much money in it but if you could sell in a shop that would be awesome. I am much more likely to buy stuff if i can walk into a store and have a little while to fall in love and justify the expense.
Hi again Lil! I was thinking the same thing. I am in the designing phase right now, this will take time. I want to make them super functional, and super cute too. I see that you knit, i have been hoarding yarn for over a year because one day i will be able to knit better too. It is amazing what someone can do with two sticks and some string.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page