Balancing working and mothering? Need help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If this is in the wrong forum, please move
I just have the hardest time defining time to work and time to be a mother and take care of the household needs. I just am trying to find every free moment I have to work. So, as many of you know with a baby, that means a task that would normally take 5 minutes can take 50 minutes, and it ends up just exhausting me.

I want to take off Tuesdays and Thursday to be with the kids, take care of the finances, create a warm household. I REALLY do love sewing, crafts, holiday prep, etc... but at the moment I am just trying to squeeze those things in last minute. I would like to work an hour in the morning on those days, and then just leave it. HOW DO YOU JUST LEAVE IT?

Just for background, I have a nanny that comes 15 hours a week to hold the baby and clean while I work. I still breastfeed on demand and take her when she cries. I also have a house cleaner every other week. I have a 5 year old and a 6 month old. I not only LOVE my job (photographer) but it provides the more significant part of our household income.

Does anyone have any advice, experience, books, workbooks, or websites I can go to? My son just turned five and I am very fearful if I don't take care of this NOW, I will regret it my whole life. Thank you!! I know you mamas have the kind of wisdom I am looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-25-2010, 02:23 PM

hi!
We are in very similar situations. (i am a wah photographer too!) I only have a 12 month old though - i seriously cant imagine trying to do this with two kids! I just posted THIS yesterday.

I know what you mean about not having time for for the "other" stuff like sewing and crafts. if i have free time, and the baby is occupied- work takes precedence.

hope someone has some good insight!
#3 of 3 Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM

Have you considered outsourcing some of your business?

Make a list of all the tasks you do as part of your business -- website maintenance, marketing, sales, billing, etc. Then outsource those tasks that you don't like doing, or don't have to do yourself in your business.

Also, if you're making enough money, you might consider bringing in another photographer. That way, if you want to take the day off, the work will still be done.

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page