Ideas for flexible childcare? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

I currently work at home about 15 hours a week, but DS has an unpredictable nap schedule lately and I am really struggling to get enough work done during the day and by bedtime I am mentally exhausted.

So I am seeking suggestions for flexible part time childcare. I was using a nanny I like a lot, but my hours are inconsistent and not enough to support her so she took a full time job and cannot provide me with enough hours. My DS is pretty picky so I do not want a rotating series of sitters. I live in the Seattle area and have been looking for a combined workspace/childcare option as they have in San Francisco - but have not found anything here locally.

I would love any suggestions, ideas for how to get some support in this area.

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 02-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I mostly work at home, with about one meeting a week that I have to attend. I have had great success with a local college student, she has a flexible enough schedule that it has been working out great since last summer. I know her class schedule and can schedule my things around it, we are the only family that she works for. She is graduating this spring and I do need to start the process of finding another child development major to replace her. I am hoping to start using a local homeschooled teen to come and hang out with kids while I am in the house because I am attempting to study for an exam this summer and I am struggling to fit it with everything else. While I love our regular sitter, I really can't pay the price of a sitter "just" to study, so I think it might work out well for those needs.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 4 Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM

Not sure if this would work because you may run into rotating sitters, but have you considered a babysitting co-op? Perhaps if you did it with just one or two other work at home moms, it wouldn't upset your son.

My best to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowheart View Post
Hi All,

I currently work at home about 15 hours a week, but DS has an unpredictable nap schedule lately and I am really struggling to get enough work done during the day and by bedtime I am mentally exhausted.

So I am seeking suggestions for flexible part time childcare. I was using a nanny I like a lot, but my hours are inconsistent and not enough to support her so she took a full time job and cannot provide me with enough hours. My DS is pretty picky so I do not want a rotating series of sitters. I live in the Seattle area and have been looking for a combined workspace/childcare option as they have in San Francisco - but have not found anything here locally.

I would love any suggestions, ideas for how to get some support in this area.

Thanks!
#4 of 4 Old 04-27-2010, 11:09 PM

You could try posting in your tribal area to see if there's an MDC mom who would be interested.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page