business URL - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to decide on a url for my doula website. I would really like it to be a .com address, the name i have chosen is Labor of Love, so the available urls are
laboroflovebirthservices.com
or
laborlovebirth.com

what do you think?

thanks

#2 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 03:44 AM

No question the second one. Think about it, you could even make it jive with your logo... some image then labor love birth in a ring around it. You could stick it on your business card and it would be perfect.

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
#3 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basje View Post
No question the second one. Think about it, you could even make it jive with your logo... some image then labor love birth in a ring around it. You could stick it on your business card and it would be perfect.
Agree! It will be simpler to remember too.

On a side note apparently only us West Coast folks are sill awake at this hour.
#4 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 AM

I like the 2nd one. Who can really remember long URLS?

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#5 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 AM

The second one.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 12:29 AM

As cheap as URL's are, I'd get both. My biggest concern is that if someone knows the name of your business, they are going to type that into google and if you have a URL with the actual business name in it, it's more likely they will find you. I do agree that long names are difficult to remember but if you have a website that isn't the name of your business--that's a risk too.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#7 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
My biggest concern is that if someone knows the name of your business, they are going to type that into google and if you have a URL with the actual business name in it, it's more likely they will find you. I do agree that long names are difficult to remember but if you have a website that isn't the name of your business--that's a risk too.
This. I really dislike long URLs, and would normally say NO go with the short one. But, as long as the first one is, laboroflovebirthservices.com better reflects your business name. If your business name is going to be Labor of Love Birth Services, when people google for you, they will be more likely to hit that before laborlovebirth.com I would also have an easier time remembering that the website name is exactly the same as the biz name. YK? Sorry.

As a side note - I recommend checking your state to see if anyone has already registered and protected 'Labor of Love' as a Birth Service business name before buying a domain.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#8 of 9 Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 AM

I agree... I would do a name search on your state's department of corporations website to make sure there isn't a business operating under the same name already. This will help to minimize any legal issues down the road should you choose to incorporate your business and will help protect you from a possible order to stop using your business name after you have already been in operation

To answer the orignal question... I like the second as a domain name.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
#9 of 9 Old 04-16-2010, 02:25 AM

I like the second one better and really like the idea of working that into your logo. I would also just go ahead and purchase both domains, though. You can pick your favorite to put on a business card or other material you give to people, but have the other available so that when someone can't remember the name of your url and types in "labor of love birth services," they'll also be led to your site. Also, are you going to have a blog? It'll increase your chances of being picked up by a search engine. You could offer tips on essential oils, birth positions, what to bring, etc. That way you're adding more value to your potential clients and they'll get a better idea of what you'll offer them if they choose you.

I'm Nina. Writer, doula, student midwife, non-conformist. Follower of Jesus. Wife to one sexy fireman, mama to four adorable kids. Lover of simplicity. And babies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page