Starting To Work At Home... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-18-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do I begin?

My mom owns a dance studio and I basically run it for her (I deal with customers take in payments send out bills do advertising edit music etc etc). I have a bachelors degree in Business Management. I also have a seven month old son. Running the dance studio is the only job I've ever had. Since it's my mom's business I can do what I want. Bring the baby there when I work do part of the stuff at home etc etc. Since it's a small business I don't get paid a ton of money about $850 a month which is about half of what my husband brings in. He is always complaining that I don't have a REAL job that uses my degree and make REAL money. Whatever. I don't wanna work. I wanna be a mommy and take care of my baby all day. It's all I've ever wanted since I was 16. And yes I know we need money to live.

My mom is thinking about selling the business. (She'll be 50 this year and she doesn't really want to work anymore and my father makes plenty of money so she can do whatever she wants.) She said she'll give me some money and she says she wants like $200K or more for it and so I think she'll give me about $50K or so. But lets assume she doesn't give me a dime.

Now I'm out of work. I need to bring in at least $850 a month because we need the money I make at the studio even if it's not what my husband considers REAL work. I don't really want to get a job outside of the home because while I know my mom would take care of him so there wouldn't be any daycare costs I know I wouldn't be happy not seeing my baby from 9 to 5. So maybe I can figure something out to do at home. Maybe something I could start part time now while I still have a job and then move to full time once the studio sells.

I tried doing chacha before the baby was born and never made any money there. I know I don't want to do anything over the phone (or very little) since you never know when the little one will scream. I was thinking maybe one of those medical typing up jobs, but I wouldn't know where to start or what to even do.

So for those of you who work at home. Now you know a little about me and what I have experience in. What do you think I should do?

Where do I begin?

~Melissa
I've got a son named Trenton born Sept 15th, 2009 and a daughter named Graelyn born November 27th, 2012. Plus three furbabies, Thomas the cat, Chester the rabbit, and Henry the dog.
#2 of 4 Old 04-19-2010, 04:04 PM

Since you have a business management degree, you could look at doing business consulting from home. You could work certain days and either have your child in part time daycare or hire a nanny part time. That way, you would be at home and could do a good portion of your work in the evenings/nap time, but by hiring a nanny or part time day care, you could have appointments/consults during that time.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#3 of 4 Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea!

~Melissa
I've got a son named Trenton born Sept 15th, 2009 and a daughter named Graelyn born November 27th, 2012. Plus three furbabies, Thomas the cat, Chester the rabbit, and Henry the dog.
#4 of 4 Old 04-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftyqueen View Post
Since you have a business management degree, you could look at doing business consulting from home. You could work certain days and either have your child in part time daycare or hire a nanny part time. That way, you would be at home and could do a good portion of your work in the evenings/nap time, but by hiring a nanny or part time day care, you could have appointments/consults during that time.
I agree with this suggestion... you already have the skills ( with your degree and running the studio). Check out some of the freelance job boards, there are probably some jobs on there that you could pick up.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page