New here ! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-06-2004, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I just signed myself up here. Lately I feel a very strong urge to think very seriously about ways to become a WAHM. I am currently working fulltime in a 9-5 job, as a technical writer, and thoughts of working at home rattle around in my head all day long now. I have an 11 month old son and I desperately want to be able to spend more time with him. I am hoping to pick up on what it's really like to have a home business, how to get started, legal steps to take, how to manage caring for children while getting work done, what realistic expectations are, etc.

Did anyone here start their home business or businesses while working a 9-5 job ? I am not in a position to quit my 9-5 right now, but I've got this burning urge to get some sort of independent business going. I am planning to start out with some moonlighting on evenings and weekends and hope that I can leave my 9-5 job when my side business or businesses grow enough. Is this possible ?

Thanks !

Linda B.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-07-2004, 09:52 PM

Welcome to the board! I am also pretty new here.

Are you looking for a job you can do from home or are you wanting to open a home based business?

I think it would be possible to start working on getting your new job/business going before you quit your 9-5.

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#3 of 7 Old 03-07-2004, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Nice to meet you

I'd like a business of my own, even if my business consists of doing contract work of the type I would do in a j-o-b. The main thing is that I want to work on my own schedule and not have to go into an office. I wouldn't mind selling something too. I'm thinking about a combination of both perhaps. On both fronts, I would have to start small and grow to the point that I could leave my 9-5 j-o-b.

Linda

#4 of 7 Old 03-08-2004, 12:05 PM

I'm not sure what technical writing involves, but I have heard people on these threads talking about proof reading from home. Is there some place you could register yourself to do contract work? That would allow you to do it from home and on your own time schedule.

As far as home based business, I have a couple of friends who make decent money on ebay. They buy things at garage sales and resell them on ebay, sometimes for *huge* profits!

If you are a good salesperson, I know people who make money selling everything from Premier Jewelry to Creative Memories. You would just have to get people who were interested in booking parties.

If you have an idea of products you'd like to make yourself or buy at wholesale and then resell, Ebay again I think, is a good place to start. At least to see if there will be interest in what you are sellling.

~Dana

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#5 of 7 Old 03-08-2004, 02:24 PM

me me me! LOL....starting a work at home business while working an 8-5 is one of the most trying things i have ever done, and i am still doing both, until my business really takes off. Whew! I work 8-5, come home and dh and I alternate cooking dinner, and then i work for a couple hours every night. Either sewing, packaging, cutting, buying fabric, checking and answering emails...

and I also run a co-op groups of almost 200....I would kill to have an extra 8 hours a day...lol. But if things keep progressing as well as they have been, I will be able to work at home full time by the end of the year. It's hard...you are more than welcome to email me if you like, I'd love to offer any help I can on balancing and such. LOL, or even if you just wanna yap a little about it. *hugs*

good luck mama!
#6 of 7 Old 03-09-2004, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Speaking of Ebay, today I listed four items - they were baby gifts that were too small by the time we received them. I felt like it took me forever to get those four items listed, and I am pretty computer-savvy. So I figure there must be a faster way to list items...these people who are making all this money selling stuff on Ebay must have a more efficient way to get their items listed. Does anyone have any tips for streamlining the listing process ?

Thanks ! Linda

#7 of 7 Old 03-09-2004, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I make 90% of my sales on ebay, I would not exsist as a business without it! If you have one item that you are always selling it makes it really easy. For my slings, the most I have to do is change the picture and the title to have the correct color for the auction. When I first started, I was doing all sorts of odds and ends and it really took alot of my time.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page