How much would you pay for this website? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a quote from a web designer. I'm not going to say how much she's asking. It's for a simple site, nothing flashy. Below is what she's offering to do. For those of you who design sites, how much would you charge? For those who have had sites designed, how much would you pay?

Quote includes:

* WordPress setup and configuration (blog + a website)
* Preparation of pages and sections in your site that allow you to add your own articles/content, etc
* The website theme of your choice
* Minor modifications to the theme to account for your branding/logo
* Some coaching on how to use the WordPress system to edit your site
* Basic search engine optimization
* A contact form for people to contact you
* A 30-day complimentary warranty for any work defects (if any)
* email setup through Google Apps for an account associated with the site

I have no idea what this sort of thing usually costs, so I'd appreciate any input.

Also, I'd like for this to stick to your estimates. I'm not interested in talking about how I could theoretically do the website myself. Trust me, it is completely, totally, and absolutely outside my area of expertise. Please don't try to convince me otherwise.

ETA: I'm talking about how much you would expect to pay, fair market value, not if you were getting a discount from a friend or doing some sort of trade with another wahm.
#2 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 12:49 AM

Have you thought about just getting a few more quotes? In my experience, websites are always way more than you'd think--I knew nothing about the process until my web designer BIL started doing ours--lots and lots of hours. But ultimately if the quote seems high to you, I'd get a second and third quote to compare.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 AM

I agree, that I would get a few more quotes. Prices with this type of service can vary widely. I have a few web developers as clients and I would guess somewhere in between 2-4k.

I used SquareSpace to build by own site which includes all of the features you are looking for. I know you don't think that doing your own is an option, but I thought the same thing. Now, if you are on a time crunch... doing your own is probably not the right move... Mine took me forever - but I love the finished product- and I know that I can fix anything that goes wrong with it. If you think it may be an option watch one of the intro videos on SquareSpace.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
#4 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 01:02 PM

I agree, I'd just check out more designers and get a few quotes. You'll want to checkout design style as well. Someone may give a good quote but the design style is not what you are looking for and that makes a big difference. Design prices vary greatly and can range from a couple hundred up to a couple thousand.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#5 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

It's not that I think she's asking too much. I'm just curious what you think this should cost.
#6 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
The website theme of your choice
Minor modifications to the theme to account for your branding/logo
Can you clarify that? How minor is minor? Is she installing a pre-existing theme, or is she making graphics, etc. to make your site look custom/branded?

It sounds like a pretty typical Wordpress install package which web designers charge a wide range of prices for. What I would pay depends on the designers portfolio, experience and reviews. I can't just throw out a number without those details. Sorry!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#7 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Making graphics, as I understand it.
#8 of 8 Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If you are getting a custom "look" on top of an premade site/cart, I'd say about $1500.

If the whole website is built from scratch, then considerably more. But there are plenty of companies who provide standard websites and make it very easy for you to customize it however. Some people sell premade templates for these to get a different design. These can be as cheap as a few hundred.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page