Could i get sued? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Please move, mods, if there's a better place for this--i couldn't find one)

I'm starting up a soap business, and i've thought of the perfect name. It's indicative of my ancestry, as well as my community, and i love the sound of it. So like a smart little business woman, i googled it to make sure another soap co. of the same name doesn't exist. And one doesn't, but there's one that's close to it. I don't want to give out either name here, so i'll make up parodies, so you can get an idea of how close the names are.

Celtic Soap Makers
Celtic Green Soap Makers

(The only word that's really used from the above is "soap")

So if you were Celtic Soap Makers and you found Celtic Green Soap Makers, should you expect to go to court once they find you? Oh, yeah, and Celtic Green Soap Makers is based about two hours away from you.
#2 of 8 Old 05-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I would check with my department of commerce and file all appropriate business papers.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 8 Old 05-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just asked my attorney DH and he said it's possible that they could/would sue.

He says to check with the state (Sec. of State probably) to see if the trade name has been registered at all. Although, just because it's not registered, doesn't mean they don't have grounds to sue.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 8 Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 PM

The people who do the registrations should be able to advise you on how separate names have to be for businesses in a given distance.

There also might be possible that a different order of words makes it more okay.

Meanwhile, make sure to take a look at their logo to avoid overlapping that!
#5 of 8 Old 05-06-2010, 08:13 PM

Moved from Arts and Crafts to WAHM Well.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#6 of 8 Old 05-06-2010, 09:13 PM

I'd come up with a different name. Assuming for a moment they don't/can't sue, do you really want another company around with a similar name? It's not just they're customers getting confused, it's yours too.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#7 of 8 Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas! I did change it, but I still really like the original name i came up with. Oh, well.
#8 of 8 Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber913 View Post
Thanks, mamas! I did change it, but I still really like the original name i came up with. Oh, well.
It sucks when you have to compromise but I agree with the others who said to change it. It would be more confusing for your customers and you could lose a lot of potential business just because of that reason alone.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page