WWYD-Take a chance and not get paid? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you quit or would you try to make it work?
I'd Quit 15 93.75%
I'd Stick it out you never know! 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple weeks ago I took on a part time data entry gig on top of my full time job. The idea was to have a little bit of extra money ($50 a week or so) just to cover the cable bill (to pay for my internet since I work from home, net is neccesary!!) So this data entry gig announced that if we do not meet a quota of 400 quotes (its a travel company, and we quote how much the trip will cost them) we will not get paid and forfeit whatever quotes we did make that week.

Now I have an EXTREMELY tight schedule. I do the data entry 7 days a week from 9am-12pm, my other job from 12pm-3pm..dinner break from 3-7 then my other job from 7-10pm. I have kids in school so I have to be up to get them ready to go at 6:30am then pick them up at 3:30 from the bus stop. I have nowhere else to stick in more time for the data entry without cutting into either my 3-7 break (which is family time and while my husband does cook everyday its the only time we get as a family) or my sleep, which I tried, but 4 hours of sleep is not a way to be productive. I will not cut my hours down from my other job because its hourly and DH works solely on commission so its the only stable income we have.

So my thinking is to quit the data entry thing, I dont really feel that its worth putting any time into if I don't get paid in the end. BUT otoh if I can make it work to hit the quota then the extra money would help.

So what would you do?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#2 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 PM

honestly, I would drop this job just on principle. I don't think it is fair for this company to have people complete work and not pay them. what if you did 399? They wouldn't pay you?

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#3 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM

Well how many quotes have you been averaging since you started the job?

Do you have control over the # of quotes? Could you work on the weekend or something if you really needed just 10 more quotes? How long would it take to get 400 quotes?

If you could do 400 quotes easily in 1-2 hours a day, I'd stick with it. If it would require 3-4+ hours a day to get to 400, OR if you don't really have control over how many quotes you do, then I would quit.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
Well how many quotes have you been averaging since you started the job?

Do you have control over the # of quotes? Could you work on the weekend or something if you really needed just 10 more quotes? How long would it take to get 400 quotes?

If you could do 400 quotes easily in 1-2 hours a day, I'd stick with it. If it would require 3-4+ hours a day to get to 400, OR if you don't really have control over how many quotes you do, then I would quit.
Last week I did 111 quotes. I ran out of work quite frequently as there are many different little rules you have to follow at any given time of the day (IE you can only quote a specific company with a specific number of quote requests, then it can change an hour later where you cant quote that company at all etc) to hit 400 you need about 58 quotes a day the highest day I have had is 45 and that was staying logged in all day and just doing the quotes as they came in which obviously I don't always have time to do.

I think I am with carmel23 on this though, I really do believe you should be paid for what you work. If they were willing to roll over until you got to 400 I think I might be more inclined to stick it out, but they have already said no.

What I find interesting is that only 2 of 8 people hit the quota this past week. I am sure the other 5 people who did not hit that quota are probably thinking the same thing as I am

#5 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 08:57 PM

I think that's really scammy to not pay you for work you've done. I wonder if that's actually legal. I wouldn't keep a job like that.
#6 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 PM

I would definitely quit then!!!

And I agree it's very scam-y of them to pay this way. It would be one thing if there was unlimited work available and the average person could easily complete 400 quotes if they did their hours & did the job well. To put so many limitations on your work flow makes it almost impossible to reach their quota. QUIT!! There are much more legit jobs out there!!!! Especially if you really only need $50 a week or so -- you could make that doing a few hours at almost any low-pay job, or just babysitting or something.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Not only does it sound weaselly, but there's no way I'd be putting in an EXTRA 21 hours a week for $50 - $50 I might not even get. Even if you do make quota, that's less than $3 an hour! No way no how.
#8 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
honestly, I would drop this job just on principle. I don't think it is fair for this company to have people complete work and not pay them. what if you did 399? They wouldn't pay you?

I work for a company where I do thinks and it is per task. I don't know if they are hiring, but pm me if you are interested, and I can send you the info.

It isn't anything to quit your day job over, but at least you get paid for the work you do, and you can select what you want to do...
I agree! And what a nice person you are, too.
#9 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 PM

Honestly, it sounds like a total scam. They get a bunch of people to sign up to work from home, set up a system where very few people can meet the goals, then say you don't get paid unless you meet the goals. This results in them getting a LOT of production for very little output. Even though straight commission is not fun (as I am sure you know with your DH on it) at least you get paid for each sale you make, you don't forfit any if you don't meet goal.

Quit, there are much more legit WAH deals.
#10 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well I decided to quit. I dont mind hard work, but I do mind not getting paid for it. I really only want the extra $200 a month to cover the bill budget so we don't have to count on DH sales which would all be icing and we can sink that money into stuff like clothes for the kids and baby stuff and what not.

#11 of 12 Old 05-02-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Honestly, it sounds like a total scam. They get a bunch of people to sign up to work from home, set up a system where very few people can meet the goals, then say you don't get paid unless you meet the goals. This results in them getting a LOT of production for very little output. Even though straight commission is not fun (as I am sure you know with your DH on it) at least you get paid for each sale you make, you don't forfit any if you don't meet goal.

It sounds like a total scam I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this! It seems like it's not worth the stress and time it's taking you, especially if you don't have guaranteed income for your hard work. Hope you can find something better soon!

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
#12 of 12 Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

I agree, it doesn't sound very legit. I think it would be very stressful to put in all of that time and energy and possibly not get paid. I would look for something else to do instead.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page