How can you tell - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How can you tell if a work at home advertisement for a job is actually legit? How do I know its not a scam? Something like data entry from your home computer? I would love a job like this, but I'm so suspicious about these things. Any advice?

ribbonrainbow.gifMarried to my photosmile2.gif / geek.gif husband, trying to keep up with mybabyf.gif born 1/2010, and we have one dog2.gif
#2 of 2 Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Generally it's a scam if they're asking for money upfront. However, there are a few exceptions to this as some, very reputable companies, ask you to pay for your own training as an independent contractor. Frankly, I'm totally against this and think it's unethical, but I do know a few companies who do it and I know quite a few people who work for these companies and are regularly paid by them. That said, I'd avoid companies that want you to pay for a job list, pay for your own training, buy any special books for training or that sort of thing.

Also, ads that are very vague and who don't tell you anything about the company or the exact duties, but play up the fact that you can work from home are generally scams. While some companies do prefer to remain anonymous (to avoid a barrage of phone calls) and will post anonymously on CraigsList, you'll notice that they at least do offer a description of the company and of the duties required. That you can work from home for these companies is a benefit, but is not the main thrust of the ad.

For data entry jobs, I'd check CraigsList using the keywords "data entry home" (without quotes) or even "data management home" (without quotes) and apply the logic above.

Some jobs may require you to have special equipment or software and I think it's fair to have you pay for it if you're an independent contractor. Also, because you may be handling sensitive client information, a background check may be required. Most are free, but some companies may ask you to pay for your own fingerprinting (which is less than $20 if I recall from your local law enforcement agency and then you mail them in). Again, these are fair charges, but asking you to pay to work OR train, imo, isn't.

Hope this helps and good luck on your job search!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page