ECommerce Websites ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-10-2004, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe that a lot of you here have ecommerce websites. How did you get them set up - especially the shopping cart part of it ? Did you go with a service provider who had tools you could use to make it easy ? Did you hire a web developer to do it for you ?
Did any of you set it up yourself from scratch using web design software ? If so, how hard was it ?

Right now, I know basic html and Frontpage. I'm also pretty comfortable with programming. I love to learn new things, so I could easily bog myself down with learning more technology than is necessary. If I want to do an ecommerce site on my own, what are the basics I would need to learn to be able to do it ?

Thanks !

Linda B.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#2 of 9 Old 03-10-2004, 11:51 AM

there is a thread stickyed to the top of the WAHMwell forum that talks about shopping carts different wahms use

Our was custom made with our site, but there are many out there that are free and or affordable
#3 of 9 Old 03-10-2004, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

I saw that, but I was still wondering how much time and knowlege goes into the setup once you sign up for the cart service, if you elect to do the setup yourself ?

Linda

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#4 of 9 Old 03-10-2004, 04:08 PM

My site and shopping cart was custom made by a programmer, so I don't have a lot of info for you on that.

I do know that he just received a 166 page manual for trying to integrate my shopping cart with my new merchant account for accepting credit cards. A lot of work!

If he hadn't already made the cart, I would have just paid for the cart that went with the merchant account. That probably would have been easier.

I'm not sure if I'm giving you the info you are looking for....

~Dana

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#5 of 9 Old 03-11-2004, 02:16 AM

It was several hours overall, fine tuning and adjusting, and swithcing carts, trying again, adjusting again....and finally found a simple easy cart I just love www.emartcart.com Not totally customizeable, but close, and is soooo easy, there isn't anything i have found that is better. Oh, and for a merchant account i use www.propay.com That took all of 5 mins to set up...easy as pie.

I heard oscommerce works great, but you have to do you whole site with it.

I tried a few other carts....and none did paypal AND credit cards....either that or they cost an arm and a leg..

hope that helps a little
#6 of 9 Old 03-12-2004, 02:03 AM

I use wahmshoppes.com. They only charge $6.00 per month, and it is very easy to use!
#7 of 9 Old 03-15-2004, 04:00 AM

If you plan on accepting Paypal payments you can use their shopping cart. THen you don't even have to worry about getting one set up! Also, my SIL is a webmaster and gave me a site that you can use for hosting, etc. it is http://www.godaddy.com Good luck!
#8 of 9 Old 03-15-2004, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love godaddy.com! I don't use their hosting, but you can purchase a domain name from them for only $8 a year and have that domain name forwarded to anywhere! It is good for me, who now has changed her domain name again LOL, I just didn't care for the first one I picked and so I went and got another one and it didn't break my bank at all.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#9 of 9 Old 03-15-2004, 12:17 PM

we, also, use godaddy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page