S/O Help me change my company name - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my company is Mrs. Turner's Gluten-Free Kitchen. I love that name, but since I'm not going to be Mrs. Turner anymore I want to change it. I supply to local stores so it will be easy to get the word out.

So....my products are gluten & dairy-free, so far all baked. In the future I plan on expanding perhaps to frozen meals or jarred sauces.

Would you buy a product from a company called, let's say, The Barefoot Baker's Gluten-Free Kitchen? Would that give you a visual of toe lint getting into the mix?

I'm open to all of your lovely, creative ideas mamas!!!

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Definitely keep references to "foot" out of your name!!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM

I would also avoid the foot reference. Maybe Miss/Ms. <your first name>'s Gluten-Free Kitchen? I think it sound kind of down-home and friendly - something that definitely appeals to people when they're thinking food...
Old 06-10-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'd thought of that but I have a first name that is ALWAYS mispronounced and I'd rather keep it out of the company name

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

Old 06-10-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Turner View Post
So my company is Mrs. Turner's Gluten-Free Kitchen. I love that name, but since I'm not going to be Mrs. Turner anymore I want to change it. I supply to local stores so it will be easy to get the word out.

So....my products are gluten & dairy-free, so far all baked. In the future I plan on expanding perhaps to frozen meals or jarred sauces.

Would you buy a product from a company called, let's say, The Barefoot Baker's Gluten-Free Kitchen? Would that give you a visual of toe lint getting into the mix?

I'm open to all of your lovely, creative ideas mamas!!!
OHHHH, where in Upstate NY are you? I have a little guy allergic to dairy, and am always on the lookout for yummy stuff for him. Homemade would be AWSOME!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM

What about just Gluten-Free Kitchen? Short, homey, direct.

(and yeah, I'd keep foot imagery out of it!)
Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 PM

let's say your name is jane (pronounced jah'NAY and therefore you don't want to use your first name) doe. in that case, what about:

JD's gluten-free kitchen
Ms. Doe's gluten-free kitchen
Mama J's gluten-free kitchen
Mama Doe's gluten-free kitchen

or something without your name but still identifying you as the cook, like happy mama's or freebird's gluten-free kitchen OR something that reflects the consumer instead of the maker. like happy tummies! gluten-free kitchen.

eta: or something that describes the food, like "wicked good gluten-free kitchen" lol . . . okay i will stop now!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM

I don't mind the foot reference--hey, it worked for The Barefoot Contessa, right?
But don't go by me, I was also in favor of The Dirty Hippie sandwich shop from whenever that thread was still around
Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could always make up a name-- first or otherwise. TBH, as it's a company name, I'd be tempted to keep it as Ms. Turner's. Youv'e worked hard to build that brand-- I'd leave it as is.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 06-10-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogautumn View Post
I don't mind the foot reference--hey, it worked for The Barefoot Contessa, right?
But don't go by me, I was also in favor of The Dirty Hippie sandwich shop from whenever that thread was still around
Yep my first thought was of the Barefoot Contessa.

I like it

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 PM

"Mrs. T's Gluten=Free Kitchen" -keeps some of the brand recognition, but isn't "turner"

"Mrs. J's Gluten Free Kitchen"- where J is the initial of your first name

Mrs. Goodtummy's Gluten Free Kitchen" - Not your name, but certainly references You. And says something positive about your products.

Yeah, "barefoot" doesn't call up positive connotations to me in this case. Not so much toe lint as "barefoot & pregnant" (and probably poor and subjugated).

If you've got some brand recognition, why change the name? So what it it's not your name (any more). Lots of companies are not named after their owners - McDonald's was bought by (and made into what it is today by) Ray Kroc.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Old 06-10-2010, 08:25 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
You could always make up a name-- first or otherwise. TBH, as it's a company name, I'd be tempted to keep it as Ms. Turner's. Youv'e worked hard to build that brand-- I'd leave it as is.

I second the idea of leaving it as "Mrs. Turner's."

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 PM

How long have you been in business? If it's only been 1 yr or less, I would change the name if you feel it necessary.

If your business is established, I probably wouldn't change the name.

Having said that, how about Mom's Gluten-Free Kitchen.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 06-10-2010, 09:28 PM

I like mama j's gluten free kitchen (ot whatever your initial is)
and i wish you were in my area! i'd love some more gf local products!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Banned

I like the barefoot baker, or mama J's. I wouldn't keep it Mrs Turner though. You want it to reflect who you are.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Can't believe no one suggested it, but what about using one (or maybe all) of your kids' names and/or initials. That's what they did with Amy's if you believe what's on the box.

So you could have "Amy's Gluten-Free Kitchen" (though, actually if one of your daughter's is named Amy, better pick the other one 'cause that sounds like trademark infringement to me).

You could do initials: "A J & B Gluten-Free Kitchen" if you wanted to include all of them

You could do the family pet, or your mom (if you have a good relationship). Presumably someone(s) in your family has issues with gluten?

Amy & Sara's Gluten-Free Kitchen

I like the Barefoot Baker, too. I don't have any bad foot conotations and if you like it I think it's fine. It's a little close to the Barefoot Contessa, but I think you could probably get away with it. Don't think you could get away with Amy.

You could also think of another word to go with Baker. There's a company in our area called The Accidental Baker that makes these artisan crackers.

Oooo, how about Mrs. Baker's ? Gets rid of the Turner and kinda creates a mythical persona like Betty Crocker or Mrs Fields.

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 06-11-2010, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I fancy Gluteus Minimus, but I'm maladjusted like that.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:50 AM

You don't want the name to be long. Short and catchy is best. You want people to easily remember the brand.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 06-12-2010, 09:40 PM

I would purchase something from The Barefoot Baker's Gluten-Free Kitchen, but there may be some people that are turned off by the name. I like the idea of using a kids name or their initals.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

User Tag List