Importing Goods? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-22-2010, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone imported goods from Europe to sell retail in the US?

I'm not asking anyone to tell me the entire process for this, but rather, how easy / difficult is it, how expense is it, and where can I find some resources about how to do this myself.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

TIA :-)

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

#2 of 2 Old 06-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have imported from Europe both professionally and personally.

Some countries have trade agreements with the US where imports have no duties.

Really it's fairly simple and straightforward. Be sure you have a good forwarder and a good customs broker--have that lined up in advance. You really can't import by yourself unless you are a customs broker or are importing something so small it doesn't need formal clearance.

If you want more control of things, have your forwarder coordinate the entire shipment instead of the company in Europe.

Cost depends on size/weight, mode of transport and whether or not the items are hazardous so it's really hard to give you a ballpark based on what you've posted. On average, freight costs will be roughly around 5% of the goods' value, but if you have a small sample shipment freight costs can be 100%+ of the goods' value, kwim?

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page