WAHM - but can't work at home! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-22-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blah - this is so incredibly frustrating. I work at home, have my computer, printer/scanner/fax, client files and everything in my office, and can do pretty much all client services from there.

"D"H, is between jobs right now. He and I don't get along well in the best of times, and it is really bad right now. His every word sets my teeth on edge and bugs the crap out of me. When something is bothering him, he yells and curses, or is so amazingly passive -aggressive with snarky comments. (why I am still living with this guy is a longer story with an economic twist that will end with me and the kids happily in our own space in time)

Anyway, I am trying to work with my office door closed, getting stuff done before the kids come home from school (last three days of school - oh my!), and he just gets louder so I can hear him through the door. I play music, but have to turn it off when on a client call.

I have been tempted to go to Starbucks or the library to do my work, but I'd have to lug my client files, which have confidential information in them, which I don't like to take out of the filing cabinet unless I am working on them, and I'd have to go outside to talk anyway.

This is more of a vent than anything else, I guess, but ideas of "destination" workspace would be appreciated!
#2 of 4 Old 06-22-2010, 03:40 PM

Hiya! I've moved this to WAHM Well where our work at home mamas have been there, done that and probably have some fabulous ideas!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#3 of 4 Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 PM

I feel your pain! Does he not understand you are trying to work and need quiet or simply doesn't care? I do both a regular WAHM type job and also my WOH job allows me to do quite a bit at home as well. For a long time DH and I shared an office but the man never shuts up. (said in a loving way, lmao) I ended up kicking him out of the office and keeping it to myself. He would still just yell to me from the other room. I finally sat him down and said "Hey, when my office door is shut it means I'm trying to work or am on a work phone call. I can't work with you yelling to me or making so much noise. Do you want me to go work at my WOH office or would you rather me be home?" Laying it out and explaining why I needed quiet made him realize he was being super annoying and he's made a huge effort to change. Unfortunately he still occasionally walks in and plops down on my futon and starts up a long chat and then gets annoyed with me when I get annoyed with him for interrupting what I was doing. But at least its an effort. My kids generally "get it" better though, but they grew up with me working at home so they know the ground rules and that if I get my work done quickly it means more fun time with them.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#4 of 4 Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 PM

I feel your pain too... Sometimes my DH just doesn't think, he'll be talking really loud to the kids or have the tv on so loud in the other room that I can't make a phone call, or he just opens the door and starts talking without checking to see if I'm on the phone or not. Its the first week of his summer vacation, he's a teacher, so I'm hoping it improves over the next week or so. LOL Not sure of exactly what you do... but would a library work? I'm tempted to go there just to enjoy the quiet!

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page