Teaching online? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone give me some ideas about how I can start teaching classes online? I was the Librarian at a for-profit university until last week, when my position was eliminated. I have two Master's degrees- one in Social Work, one in Library Science. This seems to be something I can do that would make sense right now. Any forums about online teaching would be helpful. Thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 06-27-2010, 06:26 PM

You know, I'm not sure how to start but my guess would be to figure out what you'd be interested in first. Once you know what area you'd like to teach then check with colleges that offer online classes and see what the requirements and openings might be. I'm sure there are some broad requirements for anywhere but my guess is that each college is going to have thier own as well.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 3 Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 PM

Here's some general information, as well as online tutoring companies that may help you get started:

Tutor Online

Also, on the same site, there's a separate section for job leads. This company was just listed there today under online tutoring:

Learner First

I've also seen jobs advertised by universities. UCLA is the most recent one that comes to mind, so you may want to check directly with a few of these.

And here are a few more tutoring companies you can try:

Smart Thinking

Florida Virtual School

Link Systems International

Nimble Mind

Finally, check with some of the homeschooling moms. They may have more resources for you. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page