Selling Art - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-02-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some paintings piling up that would fit folk-art / children room decor style. Anyone was successful at selling their art? How did you do it? Where did you start? What about selling prints vs. paintings themselves? What else to do with the images you make?

Thanks for all and any advice.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-05-2010, 11:43 AM

I haven't but would love to see them! (hint: take pictures and post them for us to see somewhere, lol) If it were me, I would make a website, even a simple blog, that you can put pictures of them on like a portfolio site that you can direct people to. Include your contact information so people can get a hold of you if they are interested in one. I love artistic stuff like that and would jump on something that I thought was amazing. I'm sure lots of people would. You could even try Etsy? I don't know much about selling stuff locally though.

My husband and I do photography and I just set him up a website this weekend. He wants to sell prints eventually but wants to amass a bigger collection first. I want to sell them as stock photography and we'll probably do that first. A totally new area for us both, probably similar to the area you are venturing into as far as the sales side and art.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 8 Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 AM

I used to sell my paintings. I started by having art shows in cafe's.
From there, you can try to get into galleries.

In my current area, they only seem to want oil paintings at galleries. I don't want to work with oil so that's out for me.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#4 of 8 Old 07-06-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well, since you asked...

here is a link to the three uploaded cats' paintings in Flickr.

I just don't know how to set up my website. What to market? What to sell? I don't have framing, or the money to invest into framing (it's so expensive!), so what do I do? Try to sell unframed prints?

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#5 of 8 Old 08-06-2010, 02:38 AM

i think you could frame cheaply enough (look for standard size matting and frames, metal black frames are cheap enough and look simple and classy)...

i'd say etsy is pretty feasible (i have a pretty inactive site there, but i find it affordable and a nice setup)... i also like the blog/portfolio idea, but i'm yet to discover how to set up a gallery on a blog.... if someone has info, I'd love to know...

your art sounds sorta like mine, but i'm off to look at yours! mine is child-like (Miro, Klee type stuff, i'd like to think! )

let us know what you decided?

ilse, happy mama to Emma and Max
:

#6 of 8 Old 08-06-2010, 03:03 AM

loved the kitties, btw!!

ilse, happy mama to Emma and Max
:

#7 of 8 Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 AM

You could set up a blog or you could try selling them through etsy.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#8 of 8 Old 08-07-2010, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a friend who makes money selling his art on Ebay. You can also get rolling on Facebook, and post your art there. Here, there is a huge art fair in the summer, and the poorer artists set up on lawns just outside the fair. Our town also has an outdoor artist's market near the farmer's market, and artists aren't required to rent a booth all summer, only when they want to set up. It's nice because folks can browse after veggie shopping and not always see the same artists. So, if you have a decent farmer's market you might start a movement for an artist's market. Also when we have street fairs like july 4th or etc. some artists set up booths. If you feel your demographic is really kids, you might try setting up at maternity fairs. If you do a lot of work with animals you could market to vets or pet owners somehow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page