Write at Home Moms ~ July 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-12-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our previous thread was long so here is a fresh one.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Thanks, mama!

I know I have posted writing goals before, and I am sure I am meeting my overall word count goals, but not on my work for ME!

So I am once again committing to a goal. Making it modest. 3k per week, which is only a couple hours of work. If I can make time for (almost) everything else (don't look at my floors!), I can write a few words each week.

OK, then. What new things are you writers up to?
#3 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 AM

My goal is, apart from my regular job, to write one blog article a day. What are your goals, blogging mamas? And do you meet your targets?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#4 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 01:17 PM

Blogging: My goals are to have a few posts weekly. Comment regularly on my favorite blogs. And to try to switch over to my own website with Wordpress.org. That is intimidating to me though, because I know absolutely nothing about to do that kind of thing, and can't afford to hire anyone. I'd just like to do Amazon Affiliates and then maybe add some local ads of places I like around.

I'd love to join a critique group. I'm starting to query publishers. I'm working on the blogs, and two novels. I'd be up for joining with any others in any of those categories. I would like to keep it off MDC though. I don't feel right about posting excerpts here.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#5 of 22 Old 07-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Hey Ladies!

fullofgrace - thanks for starting this!

Olivia - I don't blog because, for me, it's time consuming, I don't think anyone really cares to read the minutia of my boring life, and (to totally contradict myself) blogging also makes me feel exposed...

Jo - I'm just hoping to find time to finish the latest revision of my novel and get it out to a few readers for comments. Once that's done, I'll reward myself by revising a short story. That said, I haven't touched any of my work for over a month due to planning a move.

eastkygal - What's the best way for us to critique each other? Private website? Email? Snail mail?

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#6 of 22 Old 07-15-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyClaire View Post
Olivia - I don't blog because, for me, it's time consuming, I don't think anyone really cares to read the minutia of my boring life, and (to totally contradict myself) blogging also makes me feel exposed...
Yes, I get that . Mind you, you don't have to blog about your life at all - you can blog about anything! My new blog is about everything related to birth. My birth stories are up on there, but I mainly hope it will be a source of information for people who wants specific answers about any birth-related topic.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#7 of 22 Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyClaire View Post

eastkygal - What's the best way for us to critique each other? Private website? Email? Snail mail?
I know you weren't asking me, but how about a Facebook group? Or a blog? Can also do a free website on Yola or something like that.
#8 of 22 Old 07-15-2010, 03:26 PM

JennyClaire - For me, especially if it is a longer piece of work, I like to have a paper copy. We could email our copies to each other. Handwrite on them, and snail mail back. To me that is simplier. I'm not to good with technology, and I don't enjoy reading fiction on a computer screen.

Blogs though are another story.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#9 of 22 Old 07-18-2010, 01:47 PM

I'm most comfortable with snail mail too - both for security and ease of reading (I become nauseated when reading too long from a computer screen).

When we're ready to be critiqued, how about we request addresses to be private messaged from those interested in critiquing our material?

My own material won't be ready for at least another few weeks, but I'm willing to be a reader right away. Just keep in mind that while I'm willing to critique any sort of material (in whatever way would be most helpful to the writer), I'm mostly a reader of mainstream, contemporary fiction.

The two most recent books I've finished are:
* The Lonely Polygamist, by Brady Udall
* A Moveable Feast: Sketches of the Author's Life in Paris, by Ernest Hemingway (not fiction, or contemporary, but entertaining)

What have you all been reading lately?

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#10 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 AM

Hey mamas - I'm a professional writer about to embark on a new project. We just moved, my husband is going to SAH with the baby for the time being, and I don't have a desk yet. Many, many crazy changes!

Hope everyone's projects are going well.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#11 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM

Good luck with the new project, lalemma.

I have been blogging and have published a few pieces at AC. I was accepted at Suite but haven't done anything for them, and I am not sure I will. What I really want is to be accepted at Demand Studios. And maybe Break Studios, too. But I need a resume to be accepted. I have been a SAHM for years now (and worked regular, not writing, jobs before that), so I am not sure whether I can make up a resume good enough to be accepted. Can I use my blog and AC and ezine articles on my resume? The first tutorial I wrote for my blog was picked up by Craft Gossip and LaBobine (a french blog)....can I include that in my resume? Another tutorial I wrote was a semifinalist in a contest. And my ezine articles have been run by lots of websites. These are the ONLY things I have to put on a writing resume.....so I am hoping they are suitable things to include?

Blogging isn't making me much money yet, and we are at the end of our tax refund; I need to start bringing in some cash so we can eat! It looks like Demand Studios pays much better than AC or Suite; I would really like to write for them. Any tips for getting accepted there?

Mama to 3 boys 

#12 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Lalemama, that sounds exciting! How old is your baby?

Millie, you are doing great with your blog! It seems to be expanding really fast!

I am planning on waiting at least six months before adding ads to my blog. As far as I have heard, the best way to increase your potential income is by adding lots of backlinks. AC, ezine articles and so on are really good for that. The key is that the content has to be unique, and therefore different to what you already published on your blog, though. Do you do twitter and facebook too? That appears to have a lot of potential, but I don't do them.

I just joined a mom blogger network, and it has increased my traffic immensely. Google is also starting to pick my blog up really well. I feel that I am moving in the right direction, but I don't have a lot of time to spend on my blog.

#13 of 22 Old 07-23-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope you don't mind if I join you. I'm trying build up my portfolio & refresh my writing skills so that I can hopefully transition back into journalism/freelancing. I have recently applied for a position with my local community newspaper. I'm very excited about that possibility, even though I think the pay is likely terrible.
I'm also looking for demand studios application tips. I submitted an application earlier this week & was turned down. I'm not sure if I can re-apply--does anyone know? My main problem is that all my clippings are at least 10 years old and I don't have an on-line portfolio. I likely didn't put enough energy into my writing sample either, I know it could be improved.

I'm also looking for tips for suite101 applications. I haven't applied, but I'd like some suggestions about how to prepare a successful application.

Very happy to be joining you

Thanks so much mamas!
#14 of 22 Old 07-25-2010, 01:38 AM

I think I like writing book reviews, and so I set up a new blog for them. Although I will need to solicit guest posts in order to keep it updated regularly; otherwise I will just feature my few favorite selections.

proudmama, you could easily make a current online portfolio using Associated Content, ezine articles or something similar (altho i am not sure about ezine articles after having put 2 articles there; that is like giving too much away, maybe). At AllVoices, you can just publish immediately without waiting for editorial review, but I am less sure about them. I would say AC would be the best place i know to do what you need to do about quickly generating an online portfolio....

Mama to 3 boys 

#15 of 22 Old 07-25-2010, 11:52 PM

Subbing so I can find you all when I am ready to start writing again

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#16 of 22 Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 AM

Hello Everyone-

Not sure I am in the right place, but I'm jumpin' in with both feet. If this is too far afield, I would welcome some thoughts on where best to take my questions.

I am currently at home with two kids-4 and 9- and looking to start writing, primarily for myself at first, but with an eye down the road to trying to perhaps actually get paid for my efforts. I have written both fiction and creative non-fiction in the past, but am woefully out of practice-read 15 years out!! There are some questions in here, stick with me.........How do you make time to write with the kids? I need it broken into baby steps, : ). Any and all thoughts welcome. What are some good sites to use to educate myself on the writing "marketplace"? Are there sites you would recommend to post writing and get feedback? What on-line communities have you found helpful and supportive?

Thanks much!
#17 of 22 Old 07-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmamanow View Post
I hope you don't mind if I join you. I'm trying build up my portfolio & refresh my writing skills so that I can hopefully transition back into journalism/freelancing. I have recently applied for a position with my local community newspaper. I'm very excited about that possibility, even though I think the pay is likely terrible.
I'm also looking for demand studios application tips. I submitted an application earlier this week & was turned down. I'm not sure if I can re-apply--does anyone know? My main problem is that all my clippings are at least 10 years old and I don't have an on-line portfolio. I likely didn't put enough energy into my writing sample either, I know it could be improved.

I'm also looking for tips for suite101 applications. I haven't applied, but I'd like some suggestions about how to prepare a successful application.

Very happy to be joining you

Thanks so much mamas!
I've heard of people reapplying with Demand by using a different email address.

As for an online portfolio, try using AC, Examiner, InfoBarrel, etc. to post a few articles and then create a site or blog for your writing and link them there. Wordpress and Blogger might be a good place to start.
#18 of 22 Old 07-31-2010, 02:59 AM

I am so happy to have found this thread! I need writing motivation so badly right now, I don't know what my deal is.

About 2 years ago I was so gung ho, got accepted to Suite and DS and wrote in all of my spare time for the both of them and really enjoyed it. Now, 2 years later I can't seem to find any time to put pen to paper. I have a busy life, but who doesn't these days?! I need to make the time to do it. Just recently I have been having myself write for 15 minutes everyday. I always say you can always find 15 minutes. It's been working, but of course it's not enough time to actually write anything more than journaling. I figure it's a start though. I am still active at Suite and DS and would love to bring an income in. I currently stay at home with my two daughters who are 7 and 3.
#19 of 22 Old 07-31-2010, 10:22 AM

Oh nuttymom, I am with you right now. I have been sooooo busy, and so now when I am not busy, I am just exhausted. I am a writer in my day job, which is part time, but these days I have been too tired to bring much creativity to that, even. My dh is coming home today after 2 weeks on the road. I have been taking care of the 21 sheep, 8 goats and countless chickens, plus two big gardens...and I didn't plan on working this summer, so I have had no childcare for my two kids. Ended up working more than I ever could have imagined I would, due to staffing changes and workload explosions at the agency. Shouldn't complain because I'm lucky to have a job, but I am just cooked, and there is a month of summer vacation left.

I think dh is home for the next 6-7 weeks, but it's harvest season. Between picking and putting up the harvest...oh, forget it. Maybe come November I'll have time. I'm just so sad, because this July-Aug time is such a creative period of the year for me, and my hands are tied with work, work, work. /rant

Sorry. Carry on.
#20 of 22 Old 07-31-2010, 01:50 PM

Jo, you have been busy! rant on! get it out of your system! Sometimes you need to just vent.

maybe you could start small like me and start with 15 minutes a day of writing for yourself?
#21 of 22 Old 08-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Hello everyone,

I don't write for a living or even for a hobby but recently I made up a nonsense song for my 6 year old daughter at bedtime, rather than sing the usual lullaby. She insisted I put it in writing. I sang the final product to her the next day and she suggested I "copy" it.

I now have minor delusions of publishing it.

With my nephew's help I think I can put some basic sheet music together for it.

Realistically, is there any avenue for the average joe to try and publish a single work while protecting their intellectual property?

Thanks,
~Cath
#22 of 22 Old 06-19-2011, 12:36 AM

Hi I'm new to MDC.  I had no idea there would be writing moms here too.  Hurray!  

I'm taking a writing course at MatadorU., which I absolutely recommend.  There are writing labs, a forum, help with blogging, twitter, FB, and job leads.  (Although, I've never been paid to write.)

I have a blog but, (I'm glad I'm not alone in this) its hard to get anything done.  I've started a series called "Why I am an AP parent" that I've opened up for contribution.  I'd love for any of you to contribute and if you have a blog, I'll link it to the post. 

I'm kind of like coming out of the attachment parenting closet to my writing community and out of the writing closet to my parenting community.  This group is the best of both worlds!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page