Do you think my cross-nursing blog header is too much? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A dear friend just made me a beautiful banner for my new birthing blog. The picture is of me nursing my son and hers at the same time. I think it's lovely, but am worried people will be offended. Can I please have your honest opinions? Should I have something more neutral as my banner?

You can view it here - http://writeaboutbirth.com/

I hope it's OK to post the link - my website is totally non-commercial.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 05:13 PM

I love it! I think most people who would be reeeaaaaly offended by it would probably be unable to even comprehend the idea and would think it was photo shopped.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#3 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 PM

I like it

I will be honest and say I think there are probably some (a lot?) of mainstream people who would be offended by it. So it depends on what you want to accomplish- do you want to draw mainstream people in to read about different (new?) ways of doing things? Or do you want to just focus on giving like-minded women something to read? Depending on what your goal is, you could either keep it or change it.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#4 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM

I agree with Steph. While I personally think it's cool--I think it could be a major turnoff to most of the general public. So it's ultimately about what you hope to accomplish. It certainly will be not only acceptable but also potentially a draw to a certain audience. I think the hard thing with pictures like that is that for average-joe public, it draws an instant negative reaction rather than curiousity to investigate further.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I posted about the header on my blog, and I hope I'll get some opinions from people reading it... If someone is offended, I guess it will have to change. I do assume crunchy folks are not put off by cross nursing, but I would like to be a source of good info, rather than the "crazy breast lady"!

Does it bother anyone that the picture is not related to birth, which is what the blog is all about?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#6 of 14 Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
I agree with Steph. While I personally think it's cool--I think it could be a major turnoff to most of the general public. So it's ultimately about what you hope to accomplish. It certainly will be not only acceptable but also potentially a draw to a certain audience. I think the hard thing with pictures like that is that for average-joe public, it draws an instant negative reaction rather than curiousity to investigate further.
I love the photo, and I agree with the above.

To answer your other question, it IS a bit disorienting to see a photo not directly related to the site's theme. If they were newborns, it would make more sense. Now it seems that the photo is there just for the sake of a photo, and most mainstream folks would be turned off.

Also, be prepared for the photo to be copied and plastered all over questionable sites, the best of which will put it under "funny". You also might not want that kind of traffic to your site either. I've seen really gorgeous birth and nursing photos copied under "funny photos" and that was shocking, to say the least, even if the site itself wasn't offensive. These photos where among funny animal photos, funny kids photos and so on. But I can only imagine where else such photos end up, shudder.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#7 of 14 Old 07-29-2010, 01:22 AM

Personally, it wasn't the cross nursing that caught my mind as what would be offensive to mainstreamers. I imagine they'd likely have more of a problem with how much breast is showing before they even notice one of those babies isn't the same color as the other one and therefore probably isn't yours. It isn't related to birth, so you may want to change your header for that reason alone, but I think it's a good one. So it just depends on you and the reactions you get from your readers I suppose. I think cross nursing is great. And when my weaned DS stole a bottle of EBM from my SIL's still nursing infant, I thought it was cute, but DH thought it was icky.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#8 of 14 Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, folks! Yeah, I have huge breasts . When my friend took that picture, I was not expecting to see it on the header of my blog! Otherwise I would have covered up more, hahaha.

Do you have any suggestions for what the banner SHOULD look like? I wanted a pregnant belly initially, but my friend said it was not working out design wise, because the picture ended up really distorted, or really small. Perhaps a belly on one side, and a newborn on the other, with the blog title in the middle?

#9 of 14 Old 07-31-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

My friend made another banner - now viewable at http://writeaboutbirth.com/.

I'd specifically like opinions from those who already saw the cross nursing banner. Personally, I much prefer the cross nursing banner to this new banner, and I am considering putting it back, and keeping it. Could you tell me what you think of this banner? It's certainly neutral, but I am not sure I like it.

#10 of 14 Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i don't like the picture. I just don't find it visually appealing. And I love a good toddler nursing shot, just not this one. the squished boobies and lack of head on the woman is just awkward. I also don't see how it relates to the web site.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#11 of 14 Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 PM

I didn't see the first one, but I'm kind of curious to know what it looked like. I don't like the current one either.

While I'm not so much concerned that a cross-nursing pic would be offensive, I just don't think this one is the one to use.

If there is a beautiful, tasteful cross nursing pic, I would say go for it. So what if the "general" public is offended. They are probably not the kind of people you're writing for anyway. Having a banner/header that, in itself, connects with your market/audience is awesome. You just need to find the right image.

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#12 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Here I am again! Thanks for the additional comments. Just to be clear, I don't like it either. But I do prefer it to the other banner my friend made using pictures she "borrowed" off the internet, or the free banner with shower curtain rings that wordpress provided. I don't have photoshop and can't make another banner myself.

The last thing I thought of when I was nursing those kids is that a picture would end up on my own website. But there you are . I have to admit it has grown on me.

#13 of 14 Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 PM

I actually kind of like it! I never saw the original one, though. I guess for improvements, I'd say it would look better if you could see the woman's head, and maybe a little less contrast in the overall picture. Otherwise, I think its cute! I'm sure it might offend a lot of mainstream people, but who cares!
#14 of 14 Old 09-02-2010, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

You can now see a the other banner. I'd love comments on this one too. Keep in mind that for this banner, my friend used pictures off the internet, and the pregnant belly picture I have seen several times elsewhere since she first showed the banner to me. I think this one looks too "mainstream" and not personal enough. Sure, it might have more to do with birth... but I also have to say that I am a bit concerned those pictures might have copyright issues. At least the nursing picture is mine. I know you can't see my head (because there isn't space in a banner, which needs horizontally orientated pictures), but it's ME!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page