Mothering Forum banner

How to start my own website

889 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Naturopath Mom 
#1 ·
I need very basic first steps, thanks

#2 ·
Call godaddy.com, get their website tonight and 1 year package. They will give you a domain name you can pick. Designing it is pretty easy and as long as you know what you want it is kinds like fill in the blanks.

HTH

Reactions: shamarico
#3 ·
Do not go with website tonight! Very very hard to use, you are limited and IMO not worth the money. I also wouldn't buy a year worth of hosting or services from anyone. Try them for a month to see if you like it first, that goes for any hosting company.

First step would be to determine the type of site you need. Informational? Blog? eCommerce with a cart? These are going to determine the type of site you need and the hosting and software that will run it.

I'm assuming you don't have experience with this, thus you should go for something that will allow you to set up without learning code and is manageable through an easy storeadmin/admin panel. Sites like website tonight via godaddy put out "dirty" code and run slow, not to mention godaddy has one of the most confusing control/admin areas that I've ever used. (and I hosted with godaddy for 4 years and still have my domains with them)

If you are wanting to sell things check out Merchant Moms. If you want a blog or informational site, try Wordpress.

If you need more help ask away and the moms here will be sure to try to answer your questions.

#4 ·
Hmm, I didn't think website tonight was hard at all! I have not tried any other companies though so I don't have much to compare. I had my website up in a few days, which was only a few hours of work. Sounds like Kristine might know more what she is talking about though!

But I am still very happy with my website and the price ($62/year total!) and I always get compliments on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.