Good idea or terrible idea? ...etsy - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 12-11-2010, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post

You are so helpful. You are my new best friend! lol I will probably have a whole bunch of questions about SEO!
I think you are totally right about starting my own site. Is there a place I can make one for free?
Quote:
So your domain name(s) should be clothtampons.com and reusabletampons.com (keyworded domain names often dominate) and if you want something cute, like "suzy's cozy whatevers.com" then get that, too.
Forgive me. I'm slow. I don't really understand this part. Wouldn't I then have multiple websites? lol. Maybe I will understand more once I get started on making it.

Quote:
But honestly, your product is innovative and so very niche- that you'll generate a lot of social sharing anyway, once you get the initial word out.
Thank you. This makes me excited. lol.

I'm a little nervous to use facebook as I have a LOT of church friends and relatives that would be like... what... in the heck... is she selling? lol.

You have one website. That site can be hosted anywhere. Unrelatedly (though they can be done through the same place) you have your domain name. the domain name is the URL address, like www. bcbtampons .com or whatever. Each URL you have can be set to go to any website. So you can have clothtampons. com and reuseabletampons. com and clothtampons .org and clothtampons.ca and as many likely options as you can think of and afford, and each of these URLs goes to the same website.  Think of it like mail redirection. Your physical house is somewhere, but your postal address might be elsewhere, and you can set up mail redirection for as many postal addresses as you like and have the mail all go to your physical house. Websites are like that. Mothering. com for example, is a website that is stored - all of it - on a physical computer somewhere. The URL "mothering.com" is just the redirection that points users' computer browser to view the website hosted on that physical computer.  If you chose to, you could buy your own domain, like www. bcblovesmdc. com and have it forward to MDC.

Lots of sites sell domain names, and you can shop around for a good deal, especially if you're registering multiple domains. some of them include hosting for an extra fee (hosting is the physical computer where your website and all of it's information will be stored), they usually include email aliases which you can set up - you can set up email addresses, say for example you have clothtampons. com, you can have info@clothtampons.com and order@clothtampons.com and contact@clothtampons.com etcetc. you can set each of those addresses to go to a different email, or you can set them all to be forwarded to your personal email. this looks more professional than having whatever@hotmail.com, and you can even have the hotmail or gmail or whatever in the name of your business and have all the "official" addresses forwarded to your one web based email.

The other option is having a "catchall" email. I think for a small WAHM business, this is the best option. it means you have your domain, like clothtampons.com and every email address anyone could think of that is @clothtampons.com will be forwarded to the email address you nominate. Say for example you set up an email account called clothtampons@yahoo.ca and then set your catchall to be forwarded to there. anyone can email *anything*@clothtampons.com and it will be forwarded to your yahoo account.

This means you get *all* of the info@ and contact@ and faq@ etc *and* you can just make things up on the spot to give to people when appropriate. Like if somewhere down the track you meet a rep from a major company wanting to buy out your business, you can give her the email invest@clothtampons.com or if someone approaches you for a job you can say employment@clothtampons.com. Or if you meet a really hot chick named Ela, you can gush and say "let me give you my email, it's ela_is_a_goddess@clothtampons.com"

Does all that make sense?

About Facebook, you create a facebook user for your store and do all the networking through that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post

Thank you.

How much does it cost to have a signature here on MDC? That' would definitely be worth it. This is the crunchiest and busiest forum I've been on. lol.

funnily, I just tried searching everywhere for that, and couldn't find it. nor the ddddc link. have to ask in Q&S

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#32 of 51 Old 12-12-2010, 06:52 AM

I think I paid $45 for a year of signature advertising.  I think if you do it monthly it is $5/month.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#33 of 51 Old 12-12-2010, 09:05 AM

The new pay-to-use feature info is in the Wikis - Paid Subscriptions. I'm not sure of all of the specifics because admins only just recently placed them. So the best place to ask questions about the various options is in Q&S. smile.gif

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#34 of 51 Old 12-12-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thank you guys so much.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#35 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so I'm slowly working through all of this. I called an insurance broker and left a message, to see what he thinks about all of this. What do you think would be a fair price for insurance for this type of thing?

I also went to active-domain.com and the domain name clothtampons .com is available. Can you believe that? That seems so rediculous to me. How am I the only person that has thought of this.

Anyways. To buy that domain from that site would be 10 bucks for one year. They also have this "Who is" protection that suposedly keeps people from seeing your personal info. Is that type of thing necessary? It's 2.50 more.

Oh I have another question. What determines which site comes up first on a good search?

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#36 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Lol. One of the suggestions that came up with I searched it's availability was tamponart .com. Gross.

#37 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 PM

is it $2.50 more per year? sometimes I've seen that for $2.50/month for private listing.

#38 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'm assuming it's per year, yes, becuase when you pay for the domain name itself it says it's per year. But I guess I should read the fine  print!

#39 of 51 Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, per year.

#40 of 51 Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Oh. One other thing. I'm much more a tampon girl than a pad girl myself. But I recently had a miscarriage and of course you can't use tampons. And far be it from me to spend 10 bucks on disposable pads. For half the price I went out and got some cotton (thick stuff, feels like flannel) and made some cloth pads (My own pattern). I used a fleece backing and my snap pliers to apply snaps to keep it in place. It worked AMAZING. I'm seriously suprised. It stayed in place better/flatter than disposables, and i didn't have a single leak, even with the "sudden rapids" miscarriage bleeding. And no more bulky than sposies...

I'm thinking I could sell those too... why not, right? if the site is already up....

#41 of 51 Old 12-14-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Help. I've hit a snag.

The insurance broker called back. She said she called 2 places. The one place said no immediately. The safety of the product concerned them. The second place said maybe, if I could provide them with some proof of it's safety, (and also projected sales, etc.) But seriously. How can I prove it? I'm not a doctor. I doubt no doctor will research this for me... It's a common sense thing. There are chemicals and bleach in regular tampons... There's NOTHIGN but maybe the tiniest bit of detergent residue left in cloth tampons... Couldn't be worse than bleach! What's worse than bleach?!

Ugh. What do I do? 

#42 of 51 Old 12-14-2010, 02:06 PM

:hug

that might be why no one else is doing it. I've no idea how you'd move forward from there.

I do think you could sell the cloth pads though.

#43 of 51 Old 01-23-2011, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Oops. I'm only FINALLY seeing your reply now.

I AM tempted to sell the pads. Too risky I think, to sell tampons without insurance. But do you think I could sell teh pads without insurance?

I've honestly been so shocked with how well my pads work. Mainly how well teh fleece liner works as a moisture barrier. But I guess I also thought the "moisture" would wick around the wings and leak but it doesn't. I'm so impressed with myself. lol.

There's definitely a lot more competition out there, for cloth pads. And I have a disadvantage becuase my shipping would be more expensive than others. :(

#44 of 51 Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM

I personally do business w/out insurance as an LLC (limited liability corp).... This seemed to me the best option b/c A. we don't own much of anything worth anything..... and B. the cost of insurance is cost-prohibitive, and C- insurance makes it sooo much more likely to be sued.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#45 of 51 Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

That's true. People are less likely to sue if you have nothing to give tehm. Although if you do make a regular paycheck they could garnish your wages....

#46 of 51 Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM

I didn't read your whole thread, but wanted to comment on the shipping costs - I don't know what the border is like south of Winnipeg, but if there is a post office just across in the US you can walk your product across and not have to pay taxes on it, then ship with the USPS.  It is much cheaper to ship in the US than it is in Canada (even within Canada).  I would suppose that if there wasn't a post office there, you could possibly arrange for a pick up with UPS or something.

Tjej

#47 of 51 Old 01-31-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. But it's a bit of a drive. About 2 hours to the border I think. Never been...

#48 of 51 Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Do you have any stores near you that might be interested in carrying your products?  Or any local farmers markets?  Those might be some other options to look into instead of selling online.

If you can register as a LLC, that might be the best way to get around the insurance issues.

It's a great idea - I use mama cloth but I miss using tampons, and would love a cloth option!

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#49 of 51 Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 PM

I would think tampons wold be tricky from a liability stand point.  First of all regular tampons are dangerous and come with warnings about TSS.  Then there is the whole reusable + cloth factor.  All kinds of things can get trapped in the fabric.  Things like pads and diapers, that is not a concern since they are external.  but with tampons its a different story since they are internal.  And without lab testing you just do not know how much bacteria they are harboring.  You really could be opening yourself up to a lawsuit.  

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#50 of 51 Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah... you're probably right. I could always just sell pads...

#51 of 51 Old 06-05-2011, 07:39 AM

I would set up a website around mama cloth or another term that DOES have some competition. The fact that 'reusable tampons' has little competition means that few people are searching for it.

I don't think you're going to get found, unless you use SEO to bring in people who are looking for something similar. Someone who is looking for cloth pads would probably be open to cloth tampons.

Just my $.02. Cloth/reusable tampons is pretty 'fringe', and I would hedge my bets by using other search terms to draw in qualified prospects. If you don't wind up selling cloth tampons, you might set up an article about them and how to make them and see how much interest there is.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page