Write At Home Moms - September - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MommyHawk, I do that to myself every time I hit 50k words, and then I start over.

I should be happy that work has not called for the past week. Instead of being happy and focusing on myself and my own goals, I have been stalking the office calendar and wondering why they don't call. Dumb, I know. I hit a motherlode of new ideas in August-September and should get going.

My trip is cancelled, but obviously dh still has to go. I am hoping to use the 3 weeks of his absence to jump-start my work. Again. Sigh.

I am also seeing an ophthalmologist today about a major eye infection. I can't see out of my left eye anymore. This is some bad stuff. Next time I post here, it will be with good news about my own writing. Promise.
#32 of 45 Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Next time I post here, it will be with good news about my own writing. Promise.
I was just going to say I think we all need some positive thinking on our writing! I was driving home from preschool drop off today repeating over and over to myself "I will be efficient. I will be productive. I will appreciate the opportunity to achieve my goals."..."I AM efficient. I AM productive. I appreciate the opportunity to achieve!"

OK. Off to write!

Chin up mammas!
#33 of 45 Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There is a new publishing house for books about homeschooled kids. They are accepting submissions of children's books and young adult books. Here is the info: http://www.doliferight.com/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#34 of 45 Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 PM

I am totally sucking

I have done barely any freelance work! We went away to Woodstock and I 100% concentrated on doing the momma thing which was actually a blast. I wasn't concerned with writing, nor feeling motivation to do much besides swim and play in the woods with my daughter.

Now, I want to get back into action. Have my mothers helper coming 3x per week for a few hours so I can write, and I need it. I'm going nuts! Going to take on some Demand stuff just so I can earn a few bucks and get back into the grove, while I apply to a few jobs I've had my eye on.

Good luck to everyone! And thanks for the links ladies

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#35 of 45 Old 09-24-2010, 10:41 AM

Thrilled to stumble across this thread today; sublime timing! I am in the process of leaving my current position (Exec. Dir. of a smallish nonprofit) to spend more time w/ our homeschooled monkeys (my husband works FT + is in school FT). Remaining at the current gig until about December, at which point I morph into writing mode. Will likely keep 10 hrs/wk of communications work for the nonprofit, but our budget needs a bit more help. Have dabbled in freelance writing over the years, from a weekly newspaper column to articles in local women's/parenting magazines. I adore writing (well, more accurately, love having written), and truly want to make this work financially for our clan.

Going to start right out of the gate with a query:

If I was to select just one of the following to strike up a relationship with, which would you recommend (or is there a better option not listed): Associated Content, Suite 101, or Mahalo?

Many, many thanks in advance for your guidance. Hope to be able to share some wisdom down the road with others.

Kim
#36 of 45 Old 09-24-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingBlessed View Post
If I was to select just one of the following to strike up a relationship with, which would you recommend (or is there a better option not listed): Associated Content, Suite 101, or Mahalo?
Hi FeelingBlessed! I have only a little bit of experience with Suite101 and just signed up for Demand Studios to write for their Livestrong.com website. I chose Suite101 over Associated Content because the writers here felt that you get more editorial guidance at Suite and that Suite101 demands a higher quality of content. I have very few articles at Suite so I only count pennies. I understand that once you hit 20, 50, 100 articles that you start to see some consistent monthly income.

Demand Studios is more of a fast cash option. They pay per article.

Hope this helps!
#37 of 45 Old 09-29-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round2 View Post
Hi FeelingBlessed! I have only a little bit of experience with Suite101 and just signed up for Demand Studios to write for their Livestrong.com website. I chose Suite101 over Associated Content because the writers here felt that you get more editorial guidance at Suite and that Suite101 demands a higher quality of content. I have very few articles at Suite so I only count pennies. I understand that once you hit 20, 50, 100 articles that you start to see some consistent monthly income.

Demand Studios is more of a fast cash option. They pay per article.

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much for the feedback; this is exactly the sort of guidance I was seeking. Enjoy the day!

Kim
#38 of 45 Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM

I need some motivation! Who's up for a challenge?
#39 of 45 Old 09-29-2010, 05:30 PM

Hi ladies,

I'm thrilled to have stumbled across this thread, and I'm fired up and full of questions. I need to find more ways to supplement my income and this freelance writing gig seems like it could do the trick. I've written off and on, just as a hobby, for years. A friend suggested last year that I give this a go, but I'm just now in a place where I think I could put the time in.

I've read through the thread and am looking hard at Demand Studios, Suite 101 and Mahalo. All three want a writing sample, which certainly seems like a reasonable request. I was just wondering the thoughts of you rock-star mommas, who are already in the mix, on submitting a fiction sample, or if I should only submit non-fiction samples since that seems to be the bulk of the work available. (And any other tips and tricks for getting off to a good start are greatly appreciated!)

A whole big heaping pile of thanks (and oodles of encouragement) to all you writing moms!
#40 of 45 Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 PM

i don't use the content sites, so i can't really give an opinion on the recent questions, but welcome to the mamas who have just joined us!

i'm feeling jazzed and super productive - just went over 100 pages on my middle grades novel (it's a first draft, and i think i'm about 2/3 of the way through), and just completed a 26,000 word novel for a client and started contracts on another one for the same client, to be written by the end of November.

what kind of challenge did you have in mind, Round2? i don't know if i'm up for anything more than i'm already doing, but who knows?
#41 of 45 Old 09-30-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismamadances View Post
I was just wondering the thoughts of you rock-star mommas, who are already in the mix, on submitting a fiction sample, or if I should only submit non-fiction samples since that seems to be the bulk of the work available. (And any other tips and tricks for getting off to a good start are greatly appreciated!)
Just applied yesterday and was accepted to write at Suite 101. Opted to submit a sampling of nonfiction only:

* blog excerpts: www.familyfriendlylife.com
* published editorial: http://www.concordmonitor.com/articl...ore-regulation
* published brief article on recent event: http://www.concordmonitor.com/articl...moms-night-out

Sure there are many different approaches for a successful application; good luck!

Kim
#42 of 45 Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still waiting for the farm work to wind down, but once it does, I might be up for a challenge.

I have an eye infection that got so severe last week I'm still sort of shocked about it...and now the first eye looks better. The second eye is just starting. Hoping the abx keep the second eye from exploding comparably to the first.

I am back to cranking out writing. I know I said I'd write when I had good news about my own writing...well, I am going to have to settle for writing at all for a while. I have an assignment to burn through a structural edit of about 60 short docs over the next two weeks. I am thinking I might actually be able to accomplish this. And it will mean a nice paycheck to help out with some of the bills that feel like they're piling up.

On my own with farm and kids for the next three weeks, so my only time to myself is 8-3. I try to work about 4 hours a day, so I can at least take a couple hours for myself. I need to work out and relax in order to survive the rest of the day. So for now, happy to be working at all.
#43 of 45 Old 09-30-2010, 03:38 PM

I think the challenge I need is a TIME and ATTENTION challenge. I think I need need to carve out a certain number of hours per week and devote 100% of my attention during that time. So, my challenge is going to be to add 4 hours this week of devoted writing time. I am going to track my estimated income during the week so that once I get my budget straight, I can set a monetary goal for a family vacation!!! That will be motivating.

So... 4 hours of devoted writing. 1 hour AFTER those 4 hours of developing a budget.

Anyone else want to add undivided writing time?
#44 of 45 Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round2 View Post

Anyone else want to add undivided writing time?
I'm in, Round 2. 4 hours/week seems doable for me, too.
#45 of 45 Old 10-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismamadances View Post
I'm in, Round 2. 4 hours/week seems doable for me, too.
GREAT! See you in the October thread!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page