Is it just me or do the projects on oDesk and elance pay very low?? Can anyone explain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Title is self explanatory, I am just curious as to why these projects pay so low. For example I saw one today for a virtual assistant, 40 hrs/wk pay between 3.7x and 6.75/hr based on experience. Is that really what the pay would be? That just seems crazy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 03:53 PM

There are people willing to accept that level of pay. Those who are not are usually better served by finding their own clients.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:16 PM

In general, the bidding sites have really, really low rates. You'd be better off keeping an eye out on Craigslist, and applying at some of the content mill type companies.

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 PM

I agree, Odesk/Elance is a waste of time. I've had people contact me via elance for a proposal, and then disappear into thin air. Making me think all they wanted was a proposal.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Old 09-17-2010, 03:05 AM

i'm not familiar with Odesk, but i agree Elance is worthless. i HAVE, however, had excellent experience with Guru.com. i make WAY more than the content mills pay. yes, there are the ridiculously stupid "ghostwrite my novel for $250" jobs, but there are also lots of great projects on there.

also though, even on Guru, there are a fair amount of providers who are in countries like India and Malaysia. i think they drive the prices down.

ETA: i think things may be better on Guru, because it is more expensive to join, excluding people who aren't truly serious freelancers. i have found the membership fee worth it.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me!
I have checked out guru and will probably join soon, it does seem the prices there are a little more acceptable for the cost of living.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:45 PM

No, it's not just you. I had a conversation with someone about this last week. This person blames wahms for driving prices down (for writers, anyway), but I really think it's because of overseas contractors who can afford to bid insanely low prices and still make a decent living, as well as the website owners who only want cheap content and don't care much for quality. I agree with the previous post about searching Craigslist and other sites. To me, bidding sites just aren't worth it.

There are a couple of administrative assistant jobs you might want to take a look at on this site:

http://www.workathomemomcenter.com/9...jobs-for-moms/
Old 09-18-2010, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just won a project on Guru and while the pay isn't going to be bad, it's well below what the work is probably worth. But it's my first project though and I figured I need a good rating right now more than higher pay.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
Old 09-18-2010, 03:16 PM

I have checked out several freelance marketplaces and Elance is the only one with jobs that actually pay well. They have escrow to make sure you get paid AND they protect you from having to provide work on spec.

I suggest you take another look at Elance. I'm a premier provider there and am very happy with what they offer. I just don't bid on the low budget jobs!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post
I just won a project on Guru and while the pay isn't going to be bad, it's well below what the work is probably worth. But it's my first project though and I figured I need a good rating right now more than higher pay.
yay, glad you got a job! though i wouldn't worry too, too much about ratings and experience (on the site). i got the first job i bid on there, and it worked out to over $40/hour. i think most serious clients understand if you've just joined the site, and they're going to be more interested in your writing samples, resume and references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotV View Post
I have checked out several freelance marketplaces and Elance is the only one with jobs that actually pay well. They have escrow to make sure you get paid AND they protect you from having to provide work on spec.

I suggest you take another look at Elance. I'm a premier provider there and am very happy with what they offer. I just don't bid on the low budget jobs!
welcome WotV, i see this is your first-ever post on MDC. just FYI for everyone interested, Guru also has Escrow, and doesn't allow working on spec, either.

User Tag List