website addy question (.co or .biz?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-20-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I do a type of bodywork and am working on my website now. I need to get a new domain name. Pretend my technique is massage therapy...which one would you go with?

www.massagetherapy.co

or www.massagetherapy.biz

.net is available but expensive

Should I try and get a different .com addy or does it matter?

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 PM

IMO you always want to try to get a .com address. That's what people instinctively go to first and if its a competitor you are basically promoting them with all your efforts.

It may seem expensive to start but its a once a year charge, not monthly. Usually they are about $10 or so for a .com

Hosting is the one that is a monthly charge and that's where most the money goes when talking about website costs.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 7 Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That seems to be the consensus I'm getting. One of the domains I looked at was for sale for like $700. I think I'll stick to the $10 range!

I could do www.massagetherapynow.com or I could do my name... I get so bogged down in this stuff it takes me a long time and I need something by the end of the week.

I'm just doing vistaprint because it matches my cards and is easy enough for me to do.
#4 of 7 Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 AM

I agree with Kristine. Picking a good website name that isn't .com is just asking for problems. No one looks at whether a site is .com, .biz, etc. They just remember the name and inevitably type it in as .com and find someone else's site. Better to pick something unique that you can get as a .com.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 7 Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 PM

If you are going local and want to create a name for yourself I'd lean towards using your name. Especially if you are a one-person business and want word-of-mouth advertising. Or work it into your business name. I'd go with the more general name, or a catchy business name if it was primarily web based. The business name can work for both in almost all situations, given that the business name isn't too general.

#6 of 7 Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Oh great! I am one person and I work out of a chiropracter's office but am independent. On my cards it says Name @ blank center.

I have a business name that is on paperwork but I don't use it and it actually doesn't apply to my business as well as it did when I first started.

A friend pointed out that the one I was thinking about is only one of my techniques that I use and that it may change over time...

So yes, my name for now and then if I come up with a great business name I will change it and get the .com website later on.

Thanks so much! This really helped.
#7 of 7 Old 09-21-2010, 11:52 PM

Glad it helped! I keep a "myname.com" set up with a basic portfolio for local stuff as well. (although very out of date right now, lol) Its just far more personal and I know that at least in our community that is a big deal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page