Write At Home Moms - October - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 10-24-2010, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome! thanks for delurking! do you freelance, or do you have a steady gig?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 70 Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 PM

I freelance, but I also just interviewed for a corporate job responding to RFPs and managing large projects. I enjoy the work and derive great pleasure from it.
#63 of 70 Old 10-24-2010, 10:58 PM

I know I have a few Nano buddies from last year... anyone new this year, feel free to add me

I've changed my story three times in the past two weeks, and I'm hesitant to say I'm set, but I've started outlining and need to nail down the plot...

Hope everyone's had a productive weekend. I'll aim to pop back in more than once every other week

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#64 of 70 Old 10-29-2010, 09:57 PM

Hey NaNoers and others! I'm resurfacing after almost 11 months of not writing again.. and getting ready for NaNoWriMo #3 for me..So of you are still on my list of buddies from previous NaNos, feel free to add me if I'm not on your list.. my name is the same there as here! Looking forward to another writing adventure.. and PRAYING that this year my house and our diet won't fall to pieces as I attempt to carve out 50K! (ie neglected housework, and too many fastfood/delivery meals!)
#65 of 70 Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyClaire View Post
Oh, what do you all think a reasonable amount of turnover time is for the first readers (critiquers) of a 90,000 word manuscript?

I'm feeling a wee tad impatient.
Jenny -- I just handed mine off to 2 readers. It's about 97k. One said he'd have it back to me in 5-6 weeks; the other didn't specify but I am expecting a similar return. It's not a "first read" by any stretch -- my novel went through my crit group and has been revised and is not at all rough. If it was an earlier draft I think it would take longer, but I'm mostly looking for overall comments that I wasn't able to get from my crit group since the group say it 2-3 chapters per week over 4 months.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#66 of 70 Old 11-01-2010, 05:52 PM

hi i'm a freelance writer. i'll be one of the lurkers to come out and show myself i write about a lot of stuff but at the moment, i write primarily about fashion and for a eco-conscious online mag. i've interviewed some pretty cool people for the eco mag. i have one steady job writing about baby products/gear but it doesn't pay a lot. i feel like my jobs are few and far between though. i don't know how writing mamas do it without a hubby with a good job! those who could actually make a living writing are lucky, lucky mamas.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#67 of 70 Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 PM

I figure most of the NaNoWriMos are like me, staying off the message boards as they work on their 50,000 words.

I'm at 7,174 words now on day two. Whew. It's pure crap. I'm not trying to fool anyone. This is purely a creative exercise for me and I won't be asking any of my friends to read it and give me their opinions!

But I am feeling cautiously optimistic at this point that I might actually win NaNoWriMo. I was worried that 50,000 words was an impossible goal in a month's time. Okay. I am still worried. But so far it is going oaky and I am enjoying the challenge.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#68 of 70 Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 AM

Finally, a response from one of my readers!

I don't have all of his comments back in the mail yet, but (via email) he felt as though the characters were real people, and he wanted to read more about them at the end of the book. I'm so thrilled, b/c (as a reader & writer) character is the most important element of fiction to me!

He also had several solid suggestions for improvement (regarding certain scenes being over or underdone, not enough plot hints given, and areas he would have liked to have read more about).

One critiquer down, five to go...

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#69 of 70 Old 11-03-2010, 10:03 AM

Oh, and welcome out-of-the-closet lurkers! Glad to have you.

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#70 of 70 Old 11-06-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jenny -- Hee, I was just coming to report that I got mine back from one of my readers last night. Her comments were mostly positive, she caught a depressing number of typos and unfinished sentences (unfinished sentences??? how did I manage that??? -- ok, there were only 3, but still!!), and caught onto what the bad guy was up to at the end half a chapter too early.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page