Write At Home Moms - October - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 10-02-2010, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To quote 1jooj:
Quote:
I've placed a link from the August thread, but FYI, this is a place for moms who write at home to discuss, share, commiserate and celebrate. We have bloggers, novelists, ghostwriters, poets, tech writers, copywriters, journalists and probably many other writer mamas working hard--at the kitchen table or tucked someplace else, and we squeeze it in between the rest of life, including husbands, housework, children, studies, jobs, etc.

...and since I liked doing intros last month...

I'm Erin. I write fiction (mostly science fiction and fantasy). I get paid for producing articles for Demand Studios, and at the moment I've got a contract from Guru.com to survey writers about their writing process. (So that's not exactly doing writing myself, but! very interesting and paid.) I am hoping to get a fiction/novel ghostwriting gig....

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#2 of 70 Old 10-02-2010, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismamadances View Post
Hi ladies,
I was just wondering the thoughts of you rock-star mommas, who are already in the mix, on submitting a fiction sample, or if I should only submit non-fiction samples since that seems to be the bulk of the work available.
I submitted a copy of a blog entry I'd written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyMC View Post
i'm feeling jazzed and super productive - just went over 100 pages on my middle grades novel (it's a first draft, and i think i'm about 2/3 of the way through), and just completed a 26,000 word novel for a client and started contracts on another one for the same client, to be written by the end of November.
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I have an eye infection that got so severe last week I'm still sort of shocked about it...and now the first eye looks better. The second eye is just starting. Hoping the abx keep the second eye from exploding comparably to the first
Yikes!! That sounds miserable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round2 View Post
Anyone else want to add undivided writing time?
If I could figure out how to possible get any undivided writing time in the first place, I would be ALL over it! So far I'm working with having a mother's helper (costly, compared to how much I make!), hanging out in the lobby of the YMCA after checking kids into childcare (which is ok as long as I don't need to access the internet, so no Demand Studios stuff), or working 10 minutes at a time while Tristan entertains himself.

Though I actually did get some non-paid fiction writing done. I think I've written nearly 2000 words in the last few days, half of that tapped out by my thumb on my 3rd-hand iPhone while Tristan sleeps on my lap. I have maybe 3000 words total written of Book 2, woohoo.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#3 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! I can't believe I found this sub-forum! I am an author and one of the few WAHMs I know. And here's a WRITE-AHM thread! Yay! You all have made my day!

I am an author, mother of three, and expecting a new little girl next month. I lovelovelove being a WAHM, but because I have two books coming out next year instead of my usual one I have a really, really busy year this year and my deadlines just seem to be coming faster as my due date draws nearer. Thus, the time I would like to be spending preparing for my homebirth I am working on revisions instead. *sigh* Still, love my job, love my kids, and all of the juggling is worth it. I am also lucky enough to have a SAHHubby and that helps immensely.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Mom of , , , and . Looooooove my SAHHubby and spend a lot of time here ---->
#4 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 05:10 PM

I wish I were a write-at-home mom. I have a 1yo and a 3.5yo. I'm doing part time child care right now.

I have a BA in Spanish and a certificate in Technical Writing (which I completed while pregnant). I would love to do copy editing of technical documents, or maybe even write them. Bilingual product manuals would be awesome. Nerdy, I know.

Any suggestions about how to get there would be welcome, including resources to help hone my editing skills.

I'm totally inspired that you all are here!
#5 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM

Has anyone ever done NaNoWriMo? Does anyone ever get published from doing that? Cause, you know, if I were a publisher looking for talent, I'd go there and read the novels....

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#6 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 PM

Actually, a LOT of authors have published NaNo books and a lot of already published authors still swear by getting their next novel done that way. However, most of them take their NaNo novel, spend a couple months cleaning it up, and then submit it the traditional way. Publishers just don't have time to glean sites like the (totally awesome!) NaNo site for talent.

#7 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 PM

hi Maprilynne, i recognize your username from Absolute Write - it's so unique. is it your name?

hi to all the other writer mamas. i'm super swamped and was just popping in for a second. got to get back to the old book - i'm trying to plow forward and finish the first draft.
#8 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 PM

Whew, I'm hoping October will be a decent month.

I have my mothers helper coming for a few hours EVERY afternoon [2-3 solid bits of writing time] because I am really needing to let loose creatively. I've been working on personal stuff at night, but the sleep deprivation wiht a babe isn't worth it darn it. I also managed to snag a few part time jobs so that I can A: pay babysitter and B: have some side money.

so here's to a hopefully, good month!

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#9 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 AM

I'm crawling back out. We bought a needy house, so that's my excuse for not doing much in the past 5 months. BUT!!! I've been feeling the urge to write over the past week, so I pulled out one of the old drafts for a long poem (about a fairy ), polished it up a bit, and made 5 packets ready to be submitted as a manuscript for a picture book. I'm placing the submissions in the mail today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMae09 View Post
Has anyone ever done NaNoWriMo? Does anyone ever get published from doing that? Cause, you know, if I were a publisher looking for talent, I'd go there and read the novels....
I've done it. That's how my YA novel gained its first 30K. Overtime it grew into a 50K manuscript, but I'm still working on it. (It's much harder to work on it since my laptop died, and I've yet to recover what I've lost. )

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#10 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 02:05 PM

I was going to say, I recognize Maprilynne's name from AW as well! I'm just starting the querying process in regards to my novel, and it's awful and nerve-wracking and I hate it. I need to get started on the next one to take my mind off of it...
#11 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 AM

Hey mamas

I'm coming out of hiding... I have not posted here in probably six months. Now that we're gearing up for Nano again, I thought I'd jump in and say hi.
Hoping to make it 4 for 4 this year, and preferably without a life-changing event (major move from CA to US, birth of DS #2 or death of my mum) this year! No idea what I'm writing yet--my muse is stubborn and refuses to be provoked .

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#12 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM

LOL! I read (lurked forever) and now post at Absolute Write, too!!
Quote:
Actually, a LOT of authors have published NaNo books and a lot of already published authors still swear by getting their next novel done that way. However, most of them take their NaNo novel, spend a couple months cleaning it up, and then submit it the traditional way. Publishers just don't have time to glean sites like the (totally awesome!) NaNo site for talent.

I'm planning on doing NaNo this year. As extra motivation, I'm telling myself I can buy an iPad if I win. We'll see if that works!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#13 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'll play!
I'm a professional writer, have nine YA books published, lots of adult short fiction published in snooty literary mags and journals.
I'm also a paramedic, and work two days a week at 12+hour shifts at a station that's nearly an hour commute away.
I'm also a mama to a toddler, and in the works to have a second via IVF, if we can.
I'm here to find out how other writer mamas manage their time.
I'm actually in a coffee shop this morning, editing a manuscript that was due at the publishers a month ago. I got up at 530am and came here, and am still here at 830am. Getting a lot of work done. Little one is at home in bed with DP, who doesn't have to go to work until noon.
I just can't seem to squish it all in? How do you mamas do it?
Will it be harder with two? I work well under pressure, so maybe two would get me in high gear?
I like the idea of hiring mother's helpers. What do you pay them? Do you leave the house? Lock yourself in your office?
I haven't been inspired much lately ... feel like I'm slogging along as a YA writer when I'd like to be working on other things. My publisher has stuffed me into the YA pigeonhole, and while I'm enjoying it, I would like to have the time to write what I love, which isn't YA (at the moment.)
Anyway, great to meet you all! Will be back later! Back to the editing!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#14 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 PM

starling&diesel I would love to check out your books if you don't mind sharing a title or two--I have a voracious 13-yr-old reader in my life. Sorry you're being pigeon-holed though. Hope you get to work on other things as well.

Anyone else have book recommendations for ages 9, 13, or adult? I tend to get the best book recommendations from writers!

#15 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
hi Maprilynne, i recognize your username from Absolute Write - it's so unique. is it your name?

hi to all the other writer mamas. i'm super swamped and was just popping in for a second. got to get back to the old book - i'm trying to plow forward and finish the first draft.
You take the M off and that's my name. (Scuze not just typing it--avoiding Google alerts.)

*waves* Hi!!!

#16 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
I'll play!
I'm a professional writer, have nine YA books published, lots of adult short fiction published in snooty literary mags and journals.
I'm also a paramedic, and work two days a week at 12+hour shifts at a station that's nearly an hour commute away.
I'm also a mama to a toddler, and in the works to have a second via IVF, if we can.
I'm here to find out how other writer mamas manage their time.
I'm actually in a coffee shop this morning, editing a manuscript that was due at the publishers a month ago. I got up at 530am and came here, and am still here at 830am. Getting a lot of work done. Little one is at home in bed with DP, who doesn't have to go to work until noon.
I just can't seem to squish it all in? How do you mamas do it?
Will it be harder with two? I work well under pressure, so maybe two would get me in high gear?
I like the idea of hiring mother's helpers. What do you pay them? Do you leave the house? Lock yourself in your office?
I haven't been inspired much lately ... feel like I'm slogging along as a YA writer when I'd like to be working on other things. My publisher has stuffed me into the YA pigeonhole, and while I'm enjoying it, I would like to have the time to write what I love, which isn't YA (at the moment.)
Anyway, great to meet you all! Will be back later! Back to the editing!
I get this question a lot as I am expecting number four and I always get a little chagrined and tell people I cheat, as I have a SAHHubby. But even with that, it can be SUPER busy! I write while my oldest two are at school and my husband watches our 3yo. But as soon as kids get home, it is all kid time. Homework, piano practice/lessons, general snuggling, etc. Then dinner (I love to cook, it is cathartic for me) and our bedtime routine takes about 45 minutes. And I save the evenings for time with hubby. Compartmentalizing my time helps me to not feel guilty about work taking away from kids, kids taking away from hubby, hubby taking away from work etc. (trust me, the guilt cycle is deadly, don't go there!)

That being said, I got my first contract when my hubby was just starting his second year of law school so there was quite a span where I wrote with three kids and VERY little help at home and, well, my house was not very neat, laundry backed up, and sometimes the kids just got put in front of a movie. Even with lots of help, there is never enough time unless you make it. Though it sounds like you do great!!

I do lock myself in my office--it's the only way my little bubs leaves me alone, even with Daddy to entertain him. I have never done the mother's helper thing, but I am anxious to see what kind of rate other moms pay them too.

#17 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowvalleymama View Post
starling&diesel

Anyone else have book recommendations for ages 9, 13, or adult? I tend to get the best book recommendations from writers!
Oooh! I am reading Peter and the Starcatchers (Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson) with my kids right now and I have been SO impressed! (good for a 9y.o.) I really like the Gallagher Girls (Ally Carter) series for a 13y.o. and there is a new book called Paranormalcy (Kiersten White) that is also really good.

#18 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I was going to say, I recognize Maprilynne's name from AW as well! I'm just starting the querying process in regards to my novel, and it's awful and nerve-wracking and I hate it. I need to get started on the next one to take my mind off of it...
LOL! That's hilarious! I haven't done anything more than lurk there in literally years! Hello to you too!

#19 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 PM

I'm subbing to this thread because I've signed up for NaNoWriMo for the first time and will be spending November attempting to write my (I assume piece of crap never to be read by anyone) novel.

I am planning to take my laptop somewhere without Wifi and try to work each morning after the kids go to school.

We'll see. . .

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#20 of 70 Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maprilynne View Post
and there is a new book called Paranormalcy (Kiersten White) that is also really good.
I have been eyeing this one! I should go pick it up.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#21 of 70 Old 10-07-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:

There's a series called The Roman Mysteries, about four young detectives in Ancient Rome that your 9yo may enjoy. I've read quite a few of them.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#22 of 70 Old 10-07-2010, 03:59 PM

I am jumping over to this thread from September's, where I promised myself 4 hours lsat week and a budget. Well, I did get at least four hours in because I was working on the paid copy editor for a nutrition newsletter gig. I almost feel like it's cheating to count that, but, hey, it's my WAHM stuff and it's a priority! I did the budget so now I am trying to come up with a new goal for November maybe. For this coming week, I finally finished my profile for Demand so I am ready to roll!

We pay our babysitter $6/hr. If I had a guaranteed income on that hour, it would be worth it. Not so much if I exhibit my usual lack of focus.

I really like Maprilynne how you compartmentalize your time. Working on that...
#23 of 70 Old 10-07-2010, 06:43 PM

I stay at home and homeschool my son, but my entire day is so scheduled that I don't have time to write (and I absolutely CANNOT write with my ds coming in and out of the house every five seconds, which he does after school when he's playing outside with his friends). So my 108K novel was written entirely from midnight-2 am. Took me just over a year to write and edit the heck out of it, and now we'll see what happens to it. Starting #2, but I've been sleeping better lately so not much has gotten done.
#24 of 70 Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM

i am fortunate that my husband gets home from work around 3:00 and he and DD go out for a few hours while i work. of course, now i have a new baby who stays with me, but at this point he's taking a long late afternoon nap, so i'm still getting a couple hours each afternoon (with him in a carrier). and sometimes after DD goes to bed (which is not early) i work some more with baby in a carrier.

we (will) also homeschool, so i will not have the kids-off-to-school time some folks might look forward to. but i know it will work out.

anyway, i'm looking forward to cheering on the NaNoWriMo participants. i want to keep moving with what i'm working on and not stop for something fresh, but maybe next year.
#25 of 70 Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I stay at home and homeschool my son, but my entire day is so scheduled that I don't have time to write (and I absolutely CANNOT write with my ds coming in and out of the house every five seconds, which he does after school when he's playing outside with his friends). So my 108K novel was written entirely from midnight-2 am. Took me just over a year to write and edit the heck out of it, and now we'll see what happens to it. Starting #2, but I've been sleeping better lately so not much has gotten done.
*applauds* That's how you have to do it sometimes!! Go you!!!

#26 of 70 Old 10-08-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
starling&diesel I would love to check out your books if you don't mind sharing a title or two--I have a voracious 13-yr-old reader in my life. Sorry you're being pigeon-holed though. Hope you get to work on other things as well.

I spent a couple of days wondering if I wanted to 'out' myself ... and have decided to, but not so that this post would show up in Google. So, here's my pen name in a riddle. First name: Stephen King character who has pig's blood dumped on her in the prom, or Laura's older sister in the Little House on the Prairie books, or the main diva in Sex in the City. Last name: brand name of a famous computer, three letters, starts with M, ends with C.

Does that make sense?

Thanks to everyone who's been chiming in about how to make time to write. So helpful! I've been talking with DP about her working later, so that I can get more work done in the am. She's a chef, so it would be totally doable, except that we have a sit-down dinner together as a family every night.

Off the top of my head for a 9 year old ... Diary of a Wimpy Kid, all of the Gordon Korman books, the Redwall series, Rats of NIHM, Witch Week by Dianna Wynne-Jones (or anything by her), Choose Your Own Adventure, Holes, the Roald Dahl books, illustrated myths and legends, the stinky history books, anything at all by Nancy Farmer (The Ear, the Eye and the Nose, or The Scorpion).

For a 13 year old, again off the top of my head ... The Hunger Games (and the rest of the trilogy too ... WOW!!!), Chris Crutcher books, John Marsden books (Tomorrow When the War Began, The Ellie Chronicles), Kit Pearson's books,

Oh, and that's the baby waking up ... more later.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#27 of 70 Old 10-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
So, here's my pen name in a riddle. First name: Stephen King character who has pig's blood dumped on her in the prom, or Laura's older sister in the Little House on the Prairie books, or the main diva in Sex in the City. Last name: brand name of a famous computer, three letters, starts with M, ends with C.

Does that make sense?
Laura's older sister was Mary. But I think it's pretty clear from your other clues. You hit a nice, broad spectrum of references.

I'm having so much fun with my writing-for-hire gig. I'm also trying to get work in on my own novel, hoping to have the first draft done by the end of the year at the latest. That's my goal; I've said it here for all of you. Ask me around December, if anyone remembers.
#28 of 70 Old 10-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Laura's older sister was Mary. But I think it's pretty clear from your other clues. You hit a nice, broad spectrum of references.
Doh! Of course!

#29 of 70 Old 10-09-2010, 01:28 AM

Maprilynne I have been meaning to try Peter and the Starcatchers for quite some time. Is it too intense for a bedtime read?

Bella Catalina "Seven toga'd sleuths uncover wit and mystery in ancient Rome" Who can resist that?

starling&diesel Thanks for choosing to out yourself in a way that still protects some privacy. I enjoyed perusing your website and was cheered to see your mention of Jacqueline Woodson. I love JW and have written academic papers examining her writings. We tried to borrow a few of your titles from our local library but they are all checked out--so they are being shipped through my university instead. We've read most of the books you recommend, but haven't yet checked out Diana Wynne Jones.

Thanks for all of the recommendations! Has anyone read any of the Daniel Pinkwater books? I think I might finally give the Neddiad a try.

#30 of 70 Old 10-09-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Maprilynne I have been meaning to try Peter and the Starcatchers for quite some time. Is it too intense for a bedtime read?
\
It's adventurous, but I don't know that I'd call it too intense. It is my bedtime read with my 5 yo and 7 yo. But I read it to them and then they read on their own after that. It has a lot of sailing terminology that i have to explain. I have just really enjoyed it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page