Pay for WAHM CSR? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to be in the market to hire a customer service rep in the next few months (I'm not advertising a job though--I don't want the thread to get pulled). I'd love to get some feedback from anyone who has either hired CSR's to work from home or has had that sort of job.

The biggest issue I'm trying to sort out is pay. Any thoughts on that? It's been like 12 years since I had a CSR job and I have no idea what the going rate is.

The person would be required to have a computer and quite during work hours (this would be very part time to start, like 2-3 hours a day). They would need excellent CS skills and also a knowledge base of the types of products we carry. The position would involve both phone and e-mail communication with customers.

I have really nice customers though so it would be a pretty decent job--nothing horrible

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#2 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 PM

When I had someone help with CS I paid her in baby slings, lol. Many moms are willing to work for store credit (within reason). I found someone that was a repeat customer that knew my products well and it worked out great. For long term or more hours I'm sure I'd have had to work out actual pay wages but for the short term and limited hours the credit worked well for us.

I did prepare a document with just about every question I was ever asked about every aspect of my product and I gave that to my CSRs. They also had access to me via Yahoo IM if needed but could be more "out front" handling customers.

I've also done it the other way around and been a helpdesk person as well and I found that getting a discount or credit was worth it for me because it was a service I was going to pay for anyways.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 PM

I think that 10 dollars an hour or so is fair for a work at home CSR postion. And did I mentiontion that I have a fully functioning home office, am willing to negotiate salary, and am looking for part time work?

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#4 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 PM

I think pay probably depends on your product, the variety of products and what the going rate is in your area. Jobs in CA are going to pay extremely different than those in northern MN for example. Here you are lucky to get any job that pays more than $8/hr without extensive school background (and even then its hard - people with bachelors and masters are applying for minimum wage jobs here) so paying someone $10 an hour to do at-home CS would be unheard of in my area. Sure, you may be online, but you still are trying to make a living on your business and that will depend on the area in which you live. JMHO

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#5 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
I'm going to be in the market to hire a customer service rep in the next few months (I'm not advertising a job though--I don't want the thread to get pulled). I'd love to get some feedback from anyone who has either hired CSR's to work from home or has had that sort of job.

The biggest issue I'm trying to sort out is pay. Any thoughts on that? It's been like 12 years since I had a CSR job and I have no idea what the going rate is.

The person would be required to have a computer and quite during work hours (this would be very part time to start, like 2-3 hours a day). They would need excellent CS skills and also a knowledge base of the types of products we carry. The position would involve both phone and e-mail communication with customers.

I have really nice customers though so it would be a pretty decent job--nothing horrible
Just a heads up in case you do want to "advertise" your upcoming job!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ysprune=&f=452
The WAHM job opportunities.

#6 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM

I agree w PPs-- $9+ per hour is fair.

blessings
#7 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post
Just a heads up in case you do want to "advertise" your upcoming job!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ysprune=&f=452
The WAHM job opportunities.
Thank you!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#8 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post
I think pay probably depends on your product, the variety of products and what the going rate is in your area. Jobs in CA are going to pay extremely different than those in northern MN for example. Here you are lucky to get any job that pays more than $8/hr without extensive school background (and even then its hard - people with bachelors and masters are applying for minimum wage jobs here) so paying someone $10 an hour to do at-home CS would be unheard of in my area. Sure, you may be online, but you still are trying to make a living on your business and that will depend on the area in which you live. JMHO
That's a good point. I'll admit money is a factor. It's the same thing with all of us I'm sure. You need help to grow but affording the help is tough until you grow. Thanks Kristine!

#9 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 12:46 AM

Honestly, I think that the minimum I would pay someone a little over 10 dollars per hour. Because if they are an independent contractor, and they are paying all of their taxes, etc. If you only pay them 10 dollars an hour, and 15 per cent of that is taken out in taxes, they are really only making a little over 8 bucks.

Unless you are going to pay the taxes for them-- but as a WAH mama, I'd be willing to do that for myself (and in fact, do). But that means I don't take anything less then 11 bucks an hour, bare minimum.

And then some counties have extra taxes, but you probably know that being in Portland! (I'm in pdx, too).

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#10 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
Honestly, I think that the minimum I would pay someone a little over 10 dollars per hour. Because if they are an independent contractor, and they are paying all of their taxes, etc. If you only pay them 10 dollars an hour, and 15 per cent of that is taken out in taxes, they are really only making a little over 8 bucks.

Unless you are going to pay the taxes for them-- but as a WAH mama, I'd be willing to do that for myself (and in fact, do). But that means I don't take anything less then 11 bucks an hour, bare minimum.

And then some counties have extra taxes, but you probably know that being in Portland! (I'm in pdx, too).
That's a great point! In this case, I don't have the option of hiring an independent contractor--this person will by my employee and we'll be paying the associated taxes. Oregon has been cracking down hard on small businesses particularly those that use independent contractors for jobs that technically should be handled by employees.

#11 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 12:55 PM

You have received some great advice here!

I think that location and pay per local job market is not so much of a factor with telecommuting positions, though, if that is what you are considering. In fact, that is why I am looking for telecommuting positions. The job market in my county has been heavily impacted, however, the county west of me has not been.

Basically, it will most likely boil down to what you can afford to pay and the experience the prospective applicant has. What do you sell, if I may ask? I may very well be interested in applying!
#12 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahm View Post
You have received some great advice here!

I think that location and pay per local job market is not so much of a factor with telecommuting positions, though, if that is what you are considering. In fact, that is why I am looking for telecommuting positions. The job market in my county has been heavily impacted, however, the county west of me has not been.

Basically, it will most likely boil down to what you can afford to pay and the experience the prospective applicant has. What do you sell, if I may ask? I may very well be interested in applying!
We primarily sell stuff to make cultured foods like yogurt, sourdough, etc. It's a bit of a specialty skill set but thankfully with the real food movement having taken off and the increasing popularity of groups like the Weston Price Foundation, there are an ever growing number of people who know quite a bit about this stuff.

#13 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
We primarily sell stuff to make cultured foods like yogurt, sourdough, etc. It's a bit of a specialty skill set but thankfully with the real food movement having taken off and the increasing popularity of groups like the Weston Price Foundation, there are an ever growing number of people who know quite a bit about this stuff.
Ahhhh yes. I am familiar with those things and am part of the whole foods movement myself. Have been for years. It is indeed opening up, and I am very excited to see so many moving in that direction. I have an aunt who has become absolutely obsessed with her bacteria!!...lol.
#14 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 06:24 PM

I agree, $9-$10/hr but I know I'm personally open to trades as well, depending on the product(s). I've done jobs for other WAHM's where they've given me product(s) in trade for my work.
#15 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ooh, i love your cultures. here in the lowest of low col area, work from home csr would be 8 bucks an hour. my wah business might be in rawmilk if it was legal here (ahem), and i was starting a home local yogurt and kefir business to support us now that i am a single mom, but i have been having trouble with my milk supplier, and finding another one is harder than finding hard drugs. sigh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page