How Much Would You Expect To See This Skirt For on Etsy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just full of questions today LOL. Anyway, I've been meaning to make girls' skirts and sell them on etsy, but never got around to it. It doesn't help that my girls fall in love with every single one I make and I end up giving them to them. I also just paid an insane amount of money for a new sewing machine, so I think I'd better justify the purchase by actually selling stuff LOL

So, how much would you expect to see this for on etsy? (assume name-brand fabric, not Joanns or Walmart $3/yd fabric)

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

(It's basically a white underskirt with an apron-style over skirt that ties on the sides. There are four pockets in the front apron, with button closures. It's kind of hard to see in the pictures!)

Thanks for any input!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#2 of 11 Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Somewhere in the neighborhood of $25-30. Not sure you can make anything off of it using designer fabric at that price, though.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 11 Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 PM

My first thought was $30 too.

But I don't know anything about fabrics, or how much you spent to make it, or anything like that. I didn't even know that there was brand name fabric.

It's a really cute skirt, BTW
#4 of 11 Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 PM

How cute! I love that skirt.

I agree: $25-30.
#5 of 11 Old 10-21-2010, 01:49 PM

Nice pictures! I'd say $25-$30.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 11 Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM

it depends how you finish the seams. I sew custom girls skirts on request but have not expanded them to my etsy store b/c I do not own a serger and the standard on etsy is to have serged and topstitched seams. If you are doing french seams or just sewn and finished w/a zig zag, you will not be able to ask as much.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#7 of 11 Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 PM

I don't know, but its adorbale!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#8 of 11 Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 PM

Im wondering about this- not to sound like im questioning you but how do you get this kind of information? I just started making stuff on etsy and I would like to hear more? Also- im really not sure this is the case with my circle of friends- i dont ask much money for my stuff but people seem to be happy with very simple design...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichokie View Post

it depends how you finish the seams. I sew custom girls skirts on request but have not expanded them to my etsy store b/c I do not own a serger and the standard on etsy is to have serged and topstitched seams. If you are doing french seams or just sewn and finished w/a zig zag, you will not be able to ask as much.

familybed2.gif mama to dd energy.gifborn 8/08 and dd fly-by-nursing2.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg and one crazy dog2.gif oh and one loving dh dh_malesling.GIF

#9 of 11 Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Somewhere in the neighborhood of $25-30. Not sure you can make anything off of it using designer fabric at that price, though.

Yeah, sounds about right to me.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#10 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just did a search to see what you were up against...

Seams absolutely must have a professional finish.  Serging is indeed the standard.    This is why I do not sell childrens clothing.  I do not have a serger.  

Pet free and smoke free are important.  

price range looks to be in the $15 to $25 range.  

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#11 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 PM

I would say 30-35  fabric is expensive. You can cut costs and make them with recycled sheets for the under layer. Then offer a econo recycled skirt. ETSY shopers love this option.

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page