19 US Cities, What To See and Do In Each? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother has just been hired by her publisher to visit 19 US cities over the next year and to blog about what she sees and does in each place. She has a decent budget for sightseeing and whatnot and she is looking for neat ideas of where to visit that are off the beaten track. The places must have some historical significance though art galleries are also acceptable.

If you live in any of these cities, what is a neat place that you know of that is off the typical tourist trail that would be a great place for her to visit? She has visited many of these cities in the past but is looking for more unique spots in each this go around. Restaurant recommendations are also needed. Thanks!

1. New York City

2. Boston

3. Philadelphia

4. Pittsburgh

5. Atlanta

6. New Orleans

7. Miami

8. Chicago

9. St. Louis

10. Detroit

11. San Antonio

12. Santa Fe

13. Denver

14. Salt Lake City

15. Los Angeles

16. San Francisco

17. Seattle

18. Juneau

19. Honolulu

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#2 of 8 Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
19 cities in how many days? when is she going to have her 'free' time? is it through out the day?

when are her downtimes going to be?

usually those trips are whirlwinds and leave the person EXHAUSTED (yet to find a writer who enjoys them rather than complains about them) and longing for home? so are there any cities she is planning to 'ignore' - meaning just rest or laze instead of always being up and about and doing things.

hey but congratulations!!! i'm excited for your mom. i dont know anything about those cities unfortunately.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#3 of 8 Old 10-24-2010, 12:12 PM

San Antonio- has several small tiny missions scattered around. We enjoyed getting "lost" in the older part of town, near the mill, some cool historic homes.

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#4 of 8 Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
19 cities in how many days? when is she going to have her 'free' time? is it through out the day?
It is over the course of the next year, not 19 cities all back to back. I'm not sure of how long she'll spend in each place, probably a few days. She pretty much gets to set the itinerary and the pace, though she is very active and likes to see as much as possible so I am sure she will try and visit quite a few places in each city.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#5 of 8 Old 10-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionGal View Post
San Antonio- has several small tiny missions scattered around. We enjoyed getting "lost" in the older part of town, near the mill, some cool historic homes.
funny, i was going to mention missions for los angeles.

there are 21 between san diego and san francisco. she could drive the el camino real and hit all of them.

the ones closest to l.a. are san gabriel arcangel and san fernando rey de espana. the mission at san juan capistrano is probably the best known (halfway between san diego and los angeles).

here is a list of national historic landmarks in california. this might be a jumping off point for her depending on what her interests are.

i found this link for architecture tours in and around los angeles.

los angeles is also known for its murals. here's a list broken down by neighborhood. i've really enjoyed seeing many of these in my 10+ years here.

there's also the great wall of los angeles mural in the san fernando valley. over a 1/2 mile long it's one of the longest murals in the world.

hope she enjoys her adventure!

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#6 of 8 Old 10-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Is she only going to be in Denver proper or can she go into the mountains a bit?
#7 of 8 Old 10-24-2010, 02:32 PM

See, I'm of the opinion that the major cities are so overdone. There are 1001 reviews and guides for them. I think it would be more fun to read about unique cities that no one thinks about going to.

But congrats to her, what a great experience to get to do!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#8 of 8 Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Boston: she should visit the North End - Little Italy. I believe they have some big festival going on (would have to check the date). They have italian pastry shop - Mike's Pastries. People go there to get authentic italian cakes and pastries.

I also LOVE the old opera house. It's been restored just a few years ago, and it's magnificent on the inside.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page