How do I start? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello successful, intelligent WAHMs! I've been a lurker for some time, but am finally ready to pursue my interest. I have a few fantastic ideas for children's books, but I'm not sure where to start. Has anyone had success writing children's stories and how did you go about it?

TIA!

Baby on the hip, boob in the mouth, seat to the rear, sleeping next to mama! Loving every day as a SAHM to my only, B.W.A.H born 4.1.08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-26-2010, 10:47 PM

I haven't written a children's book but am working on a preschool-themed curriculum book for pre-k teachers. So a bit different I guess, lol. From what I've read its a good idea to have at the very least the first chapter done before presenting to a publisher, if you've never been published perhaps even the whole book is what I'm reading? If you are doing a children's book you may want to lay out the whole thing. I'd start by simply getting your ideas down on paper and deciding how you want it to flow, style of illustrations and layout? I'm by no means experienced in this area though. lol. You can even self-publish these days.

I bet the moms over in the writing area probably have better advice! I'll be watching too!

ETA: nvm, looks like that forum closed unfortunately. Hopefully some of those mamas check in here!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 3 Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response! I have a journalism degree and have done marketing, copywriting and advertising in my career. Since DS was born 2 years ago, and I became CEO of the household LOL, I've always wanted to write for children. And I have a couple good ideas floating in my head, just not sure where to start beyond doing a storyboard and getting illustrations. Can anyone talk to me about getting a publisher, or agent?

Thanks again! I love the success mothers can have with their families and in careers!

Baby on the hip, boob in the mouth, seat to the rear, sleeping next to mama! Loving every day as a SAHM to my only, B.W.A.H born 4.1.08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page