editing a novel-how much to charge? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how much is reasonable to ask? my offer was $2.50 a page (about $600 total) with 25% down payment and the author hemmed and hawed a bit but has accepted, still waiting for the deposit though.

it's a tough sell for a novel and needs a lot of work. so far i'm up to chapter four and nothing has happened, the dialog is weak, and the plot is going nowhere.

raising and growing in the green mountains.chicken3.gif

#2 of 6 Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 AM

I'm editing a book of memoirs right now and charging 15$/hour, not a per page price. I'm not a professional writer, but I do hold an advanced degree. When I did translation work, my rate was 4$/page and that was REALLY really low for the profession. It worked out to about minimum wage...sometimes lower.

I think you are undercharging...unless you really fly through the pages. Do you have any idea how many pages you do per hour?

raising my two sunshine children.

#3 of 6 Old 11-19-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mamita View Post

I'm editing a book of memoirs right now and charging 15$/hour, not a per page price. I'm not a professional writer, but I do hold an advanced degree. When I did translation work, my rate was 4$/page and that was REALLY really low for the profession. It worked out to about minimum wage...sometimes lower.

I think you are undercharging...unless you really fly through the pages. Do you have any idea how many pages you do per hour?

That's the question. I was making $17 an hour just for proofreading--20 years ago. The market is certainly different now, but the going freelance rate I've seen this year from actual small publishers (as opposed to the likes of Demand Media) with pretty limited expectations has basically been $25 per hour.

[ETA.--Speaking of Demand Media....]

#4 of 6 Old 11-19-2010, 04:43 PM

Check out the Editorial Freelance Association (EFA) website for a current list of industry prices. It's specific to the US Northeast, but that should give you a starting point.

#5 of 6 Old 11-20-2010, 07:14 PM

Wow, I need to find someone new.  An english teacher at my kids school helps me and she charges $70/hour.

Carol Lozierjoy.gif

Author of "The Adoptive & Foster Parents Guide: How to Heal Your Child's Trauma and Loss"

Find more information and support at www.forever-families.com

#6 of 6 Old 11-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Did you get the job through a freelance site like Elance? Because there are a lot of freelancers on those sites in places like Malaysia who bid for pennies and drive down the rates. (Though often their work is quite shoddy and you get what you pay for.) I ghostwrite, so I can't speak to specific rates, but you should be making at least $25/hour, I would say. 

But I responded (as a novelist) to say: be honest about the shortcomings. If nothing is happening by chapter four, it sounds like it's not even at the editing stage. It may need a major revision before it's ready to be edited. Is it a first time writer? Sometimes they jump to the editing stage well before they're ready. It might be the kindest thing to stop now and give them some big picture feedback, gently suggesting a major revision before the book is ready to be edited.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page