Talk to me about Blogging... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-24-2010, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mods, is this in the right place? Feel free to move.

So the suggestion continues to be made that I should start a blog. I don't currently read many blogs. I do love to write and get published locally. So tell me, why do you blog? What do you enjoy about it? And where is the best place to do so? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#2 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 06:07 AM

I've been blogging on and off for a couple of years now.  I blog because I like to share pictures with people.

You might want to read some blogs to see different styles.  Some just have writing, some just have photos, I know of one that is just haikus.  Personally I only read blogs that are heavy on photos with minimal writing and no music.

I like blogger because it's easy to use and I can personalize it however I want.  I've tried wordpress but I can't seem to get the download to work on my mac and the online version isn't very good.

You have to blog frequently to keep readers.  To get readers, comment on other people's blogs or join a blog surfing program like blogexplosion.

My blog is here if you want to check it out.  I started that blog at the end of July and I've had a little over 4000 visits.

#3 of 10 Old 11-27-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info limette! Lot's of research  to do!

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#4 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 08:11 AM

whats wonderful about blogs is that it can be about ANYTHING its like, you dont have to rely on someone to give you "space" for an article, or an approval for the story, you just do it your own way.

you also have to think about why you want to do it. a lot of people start it as a business, attract sponsors, make money off of it. some people start it for fun, and sometimes it evolves into a business with ads and everything because of how popular it is.

if you'd like to have a lot of followers, i agree with pp about reading other blogs and commenting. you can also become a member of several blog "clubs" like BlogHer, and participate in their forums.

i have a little blog thats mostly just for friends and family that are scattered all over, i dont really have many followers but i dont have time write now to spend on promoting it and working on it on a daily basis. www.thisduckylife.blogspot.com

you will be amazed at how blogging is really a world of its own and how many people have them these days

#5 of 10 Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 AM

I think for most blogs to be successful and create a following (assuming that's what you want to do and aren't just doing a private blog) then it has to be something you can write about daily...something you really love and are passionate about (that's why so many of us write about our families or family life).  Otherwise you probably won't stick with it.

Other than that, I love using WordPress for blogging.  I don't care for the free WordPress blogs because they don't let me do as much as the hosted WordPress Blogs.

Here is the one I'm dedicating my time to now

http://www.CrazyMomLife.com

Stacie

Mom of 6 :)

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#6 of 10 Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 AM

I think for most blogs to be successful and create a following (assuming that's what you want to do and aren't just doing a private blog) then it has to be something you can write about daily...something you really love and are passionate about (that's why so many of us write about our families or family life).  Otherwise you probably won't stick with it.

Other than that, I love using WordPress for blogging.  I don't care for the free WordPress blogs because they don't let me do as much as the hosted WordPress Blogs.

Here is the one I'm dedicating my time to now

http://www.CrazyMomLife.com

<

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#7 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 AM

I love blogging!  I started my blog because I'm a writer, but with three kids, I found it hard to write everyday. My blog helps keep me motivated, so even if I don't do any other writing, I blog!  I don't blog everyday, but I blog several times a week. I've been doing it for two years and find that I love it more all the time! 

Pick a topic that you feel you can write about long term. I write about cleaning and de-cluttering.I think creating a niche, as long as it's something you are very interested in, will help bring page views and followers. I love blogs with a purpose. Pictures are great and do tend to draw readers/followers. Good content is key, though!  As is posting on a regular basis, if not daily, then almost daily. Your readers will depend on you for fresh content. And, if you are enthusiastic about your topic, your readers will respond to that!   

I use Blogger. I really want to use wordpress, but it intimidates me. I need lessons!  But, lots of people use it and love it.  I simply don't have the time to sit down and figure it out. Blogger is pretty easy to jump right into.

My blog is also turning into a business for me. I have a few ads and am seeking more advertisers and am beginning to create downloadable files (cleaning checklists) for my readers. I've got lots of plans for it. And, a small community of followers has formed on my blog. I really love that. I try to follow the blogs of my regular commenters, as well. I also tend to post links to my regular reader's blogs.

#8 of 10 Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 PM

I blog to support parents in raising their foster or adopted children, and because I love to write.  

Unlike some of the other bloggers, I use typepad.  I find it fairly easy to use.

Blogging is a great way to express yourself and help others at the same time!

Carol Lozierjoy.gif

Author of "The Adoptive & Foster Parents Guide: How to Heal Your Child's Trauma and Loss"

Find more information and support at www.forever-families.com

#9 of 10 Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 PM

I blog about birth. It has been a lot of fun, I love connecting with others through my blog. Learning about internet marketing, and getting to know HTML, has been great too. And in the future, I hope to make some money through AdSense too. As long as you find the right niche, do proper marketing (search engine optimization), and are a good writer, it is possible to make quite a bit through ads. I am not sure if my niche is the right one though, but I am still enjoying blogging a lot.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#10 of 10 Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 PM

Q: how do people get such amazing artwork for their blog headers instead of the templates? Or do they buy designed templates? I'm at a loss as I haven't found a tutorial anywhere ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page