Probably annoying...but I want to be a WAHM. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted this on the working and student mom's board, and have been guided here.

I am getting ready to graduate next week with a B.S in Psychology and Family Studies. My son is 5 months old and I am not really anticipating getting a job outside the home, as I feel that my breastfeeding will not be as successful. I thought about blogging as I enjoy writing but I have heard it is hard making much money doing that.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. 

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#2 of 16 Old 12-04-2010, 06:25 AM

My suggestion would be to find subject you really like and bog about that. You'll have to build up a base of readers before you can try to make money doing it. From what I understand it is pretty competitive, I've never done it though. The extent of my blogging experience is simply to promotep the SEO for my main website so I'm probably not much real help otherwise lol.

Hopefully some of the blogging moms Here will chime in. Good luck mama.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 16 Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 PM

I write a blog but not for money.  Sometimes I see other bloggers and they sell ads, etc.  One site you could look at that might give you some information is bloggymoms.com.  Go to community and then groups. In groups, click on "Link up with blog hops."  Take a look at some of the blogs and you'll see that many of them sell ads to small and large companies.  I'm sure there's more sites like this one but I don't know them.  Hope that's helpful!  

Carol Lozierjoy.gif

Author of "The Adoptive & Foster Parents Guide: How to Heal Your Child's Trauma and Loss"

Find more information and support at www.forever-families.com

#4 of 16 Old 12-04-2010, 11:40 PM

I work at home by selling.  I buy lots of baby and kids stuff and resell online- I have a blog where I sell items and post on Craigslist.  In the summer I do garage sales.  In the fall and spring I do rummage sales.  I also go to public storage auctions.  In the summer my PROFIT is much more than the winter because in the winter I usually have less inventory.  I like to write too but as far as making money this was much quicker- I have a blog for writing but I know it will take time before I can start to make money that way (as previous posters commented).  Good Luck!  It's definitely worth it to stay home! :)

wool.gif~Kristen~chicken3.gif 
WAHMama to Skylar Adrianna (age 9), Tabitha Abigail (age 7), Trinity Grace Kate (age 5) and Kaya Victoria Ruth (age 2)
#5 of 16 Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

To make money off of a blog is a full-time job, and it is very hard to work with your baby.  I know!  Sometimes I wish I was at a job without kids!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#6 of 16 Old 12-08-2010, 02:17 PM

I work with a lot of bloggers and the one thing I hear over and over again is how much work it is--many of them are putting in 40-50 hours (and sometimes more!) a week and still making very little money--and often these are big popular blogs with lots of followers.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#7 of 16 Old 12-16-2010, 08:13 PM

I've been blogging steadily for two years and yes, it is hard work, and no - it will not make you a substantial income. The amount of money I make from my blog each year can't even cover one of our heating bills. Though I have received great products for my daughter that we would have to buy otherwise (car seat, stroller, etc), it still isn't a big payout for the investment. Though I only spend about 5 hours a week on it. If I did do it full time, worked on my SEO, etc, I'm sure I would make more. But I already have a part time, work from home job, and I like to spend as much time as possible with my daughter. I love to blog, that's why I do it, but I'm definitely not in it for income! :)

#8 of 16 Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 AM

I'd like to just offer a *good luck* to you!

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#9 of 16 Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 AM

One thing I've learned about blogging, as the ladies have already said, it's not an "instant" income.  It takes time.  It takes dedication and persistence (just like a real business).  You must choose something you have no problem living and breathing because that is what you will need to do to actually earn while blogging. 

It's not impossible, but it does take time, energy, effort, persistence, dedication, and diligence. 

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#10 of 16 Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post

I work at home by selling.  I buy lots of baby and kids stuff and resell online- I have a blog where I sell items and post on Craigslist.  In the summer I do garage sales.  In the fall and spring I do rummage sales.  I also go to public storage auctions.  In the summer my PROFIT is much more than the winter because in the winter I usually have less inventory.  I like to write too but as far as making money this was much quicker- I have a blog for writing but I know it will take time before I can start to make money that way (as previous posters commented).  Good Luck!  It's definitely worth it to stay home! :)

Would you mind sharing a little bit more about how you do this? Do you purchase a lot of things at thrift stores, or do you buy seasonal things on clearance and resell them the next year? Do you advertise in any way? Have you found this to be "pay-some-bills profitable" or is it more like pocket money? Thanks in advance! :)

#11 of 16 Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy tree View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post

Would you mind sharing a little bit more about how you do this? Do you purchase a lot of things at thrift stores, or do you buy seasonal things on clearance and resell them the next year? Do you advertise in any way? Have you found this to be "pay-some-bills profitable" or is it more like pocket money? Thanks in advance! :)

Here is my website- I put up a blog and also sell on Craigslist- http://kristen-forsale.blogspot.com/  However, my almost dead time is Dec to March.  From April to November I'm good.  The majority of my stuff comes from garage sales.  If there are good rummage sales you can score there and like I said watch the public storage auctions- although that's hit or miss for kids stuff and that's all I sell.  In the busy months from about May to Sept I average about $450-$500 a week profit.  My busiest week was about $700 and I've had $150 weeks in there.  In the summer I think most are around in the 4's probably.  So, for me it's definitely a bill payer.  But I WORK at it.  I repost all my items every 48 hours diligently.  I go out EVERY Thursday, Friday and Saturday mornings to garage sales and street sales.  I watch the newspaper, bee, and craigslist for the sales and I map out my route for the morning.  I get up early and make sure I am in and out.  I research my items in this area and sale prices.  I know what to buy things for and what to pass up.  It's taken time and it's not quick money either because you need to get the knowledge of the business but it's so much fun for me.  I love getting deals and loading up my truck or van in the summer and selling.  I can stay home with the girls and it's flexible.  I can take them with me to the garage sales I go to.  (of course that usually adds time but it can be done)  You have to know a quick turnover is what you want.  And I am more successful than my friend who tried it last year because of the location I am in.  I am centrally located so it's easy for people to come here.  Also, I always take pictures but I use stock photos when I can and copy and paste manufacturer's product details on the items I sell.  I watch for big ticket items like power wheels and playhouses and slides in the summer.  I've once made $200 on a slide set alone!  I watch the side of the road when people put these things out to garbage!  I've made $75 on a power wheels pick that someone threw out!  For baby stuff I don't do clothes just "big" stuff- profit is better- exersaucers, swings, strollers, pack n plays- all the gear.  I now have a good customer base who I also "shop" for.  My friend used to do a sort of "consignment" for people to get started which might be a good way to get start up cash- she'd sell people's items and split the profit.  That's an idea.  I'd say research and start smaller and see what sells in your area and what doesn't. :)  Good luck!

wool.gif~Kristen~chicken3.gif 
WAHMama to Skylar Adrianna (age 9), Tabitha Abigail (age 7), Trinity Grace Kate (age 5) and Kaya Victoria Ruth (age 2)
#12 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 AM

Kristen - Thank you so much for sharing all that information! You are awesome! 

I think what you are doing sounds like SO much fun. I love garage sales and finding bargains on cool stuff. :) I would love to try it (on a small scale) this year and see how it goes -- at least to get a feel for how something like that might work in my area. I appreciate you sharing your tips!

#13 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 12:19 PM

Their is a discussing about this in the tribes called "the unjobbing tribe". Basically unjobbing means finding alternate means of income at home, not having a regular job.

I was off to save the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.
#14 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Asraidevin- Thank you so much for telling us about "the unjobbing tribe". My DF and I will be all over this. He does not want a 9-5 office job! 

Doula mom to Leo [7.11.10] and fiance to Jakefamilybed1.gif

#15 of 16 Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asraidevin View Post

Their is a discussing about this in the tribes called "the unjobbing tribe". Basically unjobbing means finding alternate means of income at home, not having a regular job.

Thank you!!

#16 of 16 Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 AM

If you are interesting in writing you might try some other writing jobs while you are working on your blog. This is what I am doing. I get a pretty decent income for the content mills - so far my favorite is demand media and every now and then I get a private client. The private clients let me write about topics I really am interested in like fertility and women's health. I would probably do better if I invested more time into it, but I still have my 9-5 job and this is side income for me.

Just your friendly neighborhood graduate student.
My BudgetBlog budgetandbargain.blogspot.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page