Good books on starting/running a small business - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the next year or so I want to start up a photography business, for real (I've been doing work for the past 3 years, mostly unpaid). I've been scared to take the next step - I guess I've let the fear of the "what ifs" and responsibility of running a business stop me. So, I want to start doing my research and learning about running a small business. It's time to conquer by educating myself. :)

Any one know of any particularly good books on the subject? Or books you found insightful/helpful with regaurds to your start up.  

Thanks!   

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Never found any good books.  Contact local SBDC - they have cheap intro seminars.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#3 of 4 Old 02-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

The Handmade Marketplace was a really good book....it won't be exactly applicable because it focuses on starting a small craft business but she does talk about things like registering a business, paying taxes, advertising on the internet, blogging, etc.  so some of it might be useful, but a lot of it probably wouldn't apply

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#4 of 4 Old 02-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just learned that there are state workers who will help you (for free) do what is necessary to set up a small business in your state. At least, we have them in our state. We have one for a 5-7 county area, and she is booked with appointmnets for about a 6-week time (so if you call today, you can talk with her in early April). She can show you how to write a business plan, how to do a 3-year profit-loss statement/projection, things about the state laws...all these are things you'll need if you want a business loan, for example. But, they are good things to do even if you won't be applying for a loan. YOu might see if you have one in your area.

http://www.ohiomeansbusiness.com/build-your-business/start-your-business-in-ohio/entrepreneurship-and-small-business.php

http://www.development.ohio.gov/1ststop/onestop/index.cfm

http://business.ohio.gov/starting/

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page