Security Question` - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-18-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am so sorry if this is off topic.  I looked everywhere for a thread relevant to computers or even off topic, but found nothing, and I am really hoping that there is someone out there who also has a business or two that might help me with this, as I am stuck.

I have 2 businesses right now.  One is a childcare, the other is a jewelry making site.  I am nervous about all of my personal info-including the info for the children I keep and also all of my private business info-being on my computer, because one never really knows if their pc could get stolen, or they could be on a road trip and misplace it (Gosh I hope not, but I sure have lost a lot of things-id, credit cards, wallet, cell phone this way)

A friend told me I should try data encryption. I found this PC Mag review of Datalock:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371748,00.asp

Will it prevent someone from putting all my data over the internet, or taking my identity and ripping me off?

They got a 60 day free trial, is it worth trying (I hate trials that don’t do anything)?

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/cdn/2010/search/datalock.htm

But I am the sort of person that, when making a decision like this, looks for feedback from real people out there.  Have any of you tried this or anything similar?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here is what I use:

Comodo anti-virus and firewall. I find it less cumbersome to run one program. AVG/Grisoft anti-virus is good as well.

I use KeePass for our banking passwords and such. Not superstrong but good enough. If my computer goes missing I'll change my passwords. I also change my important passwords every few months. This way also circumvents keyloggers since you just copy and paste your info.

There are data encryption that you could use for your private info ie children you care for files, but if someone really wants in they'll be able to crack it more than likely. I wouldn't worry about those types of files, the average theif is not going to grab your computer for indentify theft. It's more likley to happen via unsecure data transfer. It's just as secure to set a password you need to log on to the computer.

I also run Lavasoft's Adware prgram, and Windows Secruity Defender once a weekish.

I was off to save the world, but I got distracted by something shiny.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page