Starting a large business...I am overwhelmed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have owned my own businesses in the past and have had no problems but this is a big one and I am not entirely sure how to handle it all!

I am going to be selling organic produce to a very large area that people pick up from different locations. I will not own these locations but will be using other business as drop locations. This will be operating in several different counties and possibly different states.

I have a custom spreadsheet underway but I need a website - I would like to find someone that could do an awesome job on the website.

I have stated my paperwork for assumed name and tax id number. I just read that I have to add locations that i am operating to my assumed name when I have new locations...that will be hard because I plan on having 20-70+...?

I feel like I need a crash course in running a business that sells a product in several locations.

I need to have an independant contracter, not sure how to do that.

Do you guys have any help for me? I do not really want to hire an attorney but maybe I need to.

Thanks!

Kimberly DH of 8 years DS 08/2002 DS 04/2005 DD 11/2007
Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Do the drop locations get anything out of it?  Are you wholesaling to them?  Consigning to them?  I'm not sure I understand the model you're using exactly.  Why would you need to add your locations to your business if they are not your locations?  Aren't you simply operating out of one location and having others distribute for you?

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#3 of 5 Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Hi, congratulations on the birth of your business!

Your post caught my eye. I actually did the exact same business (but in Canada), it was in a small town and we branched out to neighboring areas. It was a wonderful business, we loved it! It was a great success and we became well known in the area. We spent a few months planning and then it only took 2 or 3 weeks of advertising before we had enough people signed up on our website showing interest.  It was a success right away. We sold the business to another family due to moving out of province (after 3 years). It's a great business as long as you have the heart and passion for organic food and health, which you clearly do.

I'm not sure what you are asking for exactly. But our primary means of advertisement was word of mouth, and we started out with writing letters to all naturopaths, vitamin stores, chiropractors, etc. and handing out half page flyers. We found that using churches as pick up locations to be best. You might consider hiring contract drivers so you can also offer home delivery service. Also, we found that using volunteers to be very effective; we had a volunteer program and any regular customer could volunteer at a pick up location, I'd co-ordinate everything and the volunteers received a 10% discount plus a smiley face on their volunteer cards (once it was filled they could use it as a $20 credit). The volunteers were amazing and it was so much fun to work with them! 

I hope this helps and maybe gives you a few ideas! 

~Joyce; success and leadership coach, work at home mom to 5 little ones who I home school. I love life!
#4 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 AM

Look into business courses at a local community colleges.  That might help with something like this. :)

#5 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Congratulations on your new business and much success to you!

By assumed name, are you referring to a DBA ("Doing Business As")? This would make you a sole proprietor. Even with a separate tax i.d. number, I don't think that's the best way to go. Instead, I'd suggest a limited liability company (aka an LLC). As a sole proprietor, you're ultimately held accountable in any lawsuits (ya never know these days). With an LLC, you and your family's assets will be completely protected (believe it or not, in an S-Corp or other type of entity, you're still not 100% protected...which is why the LLC was created). You also won't have to list your DBA in every area where you do business either, which is what I think you're asking about. If I'm misunderstanding you, please forgive me and disregard all of this. :)

Unfortunately, the website I'd normally refer you to for more info is under reconstruction right now, but they used to offer a TON of free information on these subjects and can explain it all a lot better than I can. For future reference, it's www.KanduBiz.com. No word on when they'll be returning as the old site just went down recently and I see they're in the process of building a new one. Other than that, spend some time researching your options. Even if you don't go with an LLC, a regular corporation would probably do the trick so that you don't have to register your DBA in every location.

As for a webmaster, I'm sure there's someone here that can help. If not, try one of the ladies over at www.WAHM.com. They have a special forum for webmasters there. Or, you could always build one yourself using Wordpress.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page