Shipping: Paypal ship,Endicia, Stamps.com?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-31-2004, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting a biz making jewelry for moms and kids. My question is ..I probably won't be selling many of these so should I
A) Drive back and forth to the p.o. and send things
B) Use paypal shipping and ship my items from there..but I guess I'd still have to go to the p.o. if someone gave me a money order/check,etc
C) Use an online place like endicia or stamps.com..-which one would you recommend?

These items don't weigh very much and so I'm not sure which to go with. I'm looking for easiest,cheapest, and reliable!:LOL
Thanks!

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#2 of 11 Old 03-31-2004, 10:42 PM

My dh makes trips to the PO a couple of times a week and keeps track so he writes it off at the end of the year.

We go to town fairly often so it isnt a chore to stop at the PO.

Have no experience with the other things you have mentioned. Dh uses PayPal but i didnt know you could buy postage from them

The online stamps places cost more than dh would like to put out a month.
#3 of 11 Old 03-31-2004, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by momto l&a
My dh makes trips to the PO a couple of times a week and keeps track so he writes it off at the end of the year.

We go to town fairly often so it isnt a chore to stop at the PO.

Have no experience with the other things you have mentioned. Dh uses PayPal but i didnt know you could buy postage from them

The online stamps places cost more than dh would like to put out a month.

Yep, if you look at where someone paid you from paypal it will say to ship it..

Endicia is $99.00 for a year (standard) or $9.99 a month..which isn't too bad!

#4 of 11 Old 03-31-2004, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd start with just going to the PO (and you can print priority postage for free from the USPS site) and see what your volume ends up like. If it starts to get to be too much and you think it might be time/money saving for another service, then you can research which would serve you best =)

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#5 of 11 Old 03-31-2004, 11:45 PM

I use both stamps.com (my personal account) and endicia (I do order fulfillment for another WAHM and that's what she uses) and I prefer the interface of stamps.com by far. It's more expensive ($16/month) but it's SO much easier to use. Endicia uses a clunky old style windows program and it's not intuitive at all and I just find it annoying. Endicia so far has been really slow to refund misprinted postage, but I've never sent in postage to stamps.com for a refund so I don't know if they are any better.
I'm intrigued by paypal postage but I haven't actually tried it out yet.
#6 of 11 Old 04-01-2004, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by rubelin
I'd start with just going to the PO (and you can print priority postage for free from the USPS site) and see what your volume ends up like. If it starts to get to be too much and you think it might be time/money saving for another service, then you can research which would serve you best =)

Good idea Robin!

#7 of 11 Old 04-01-2004, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by seraph
I use both stamps.com (my personal account) and endicia (I do order fulfillment for another WAHM and that's what she uses) and I prefer the interface of stamps.com by far. It's more expensive ($16/month) but it's SO much easier to use. Endicia uses a clunky old style windows program and it's not intuitive at all and I just find it annoying. Endicia so far has been really slow to refund misprinted postage, but I've never sent in postage to stamps.com for a refund so I don't know if they are any better.
I'm intrigued by paypal postage but I haven't actually tried it out yet.

Thanks for the rerview! Does stamps.com still give out a free scale?

#8 of 11 Old 04-01-2004, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use Paypal and the USPS site and it is totally free and you get free delivery confirmation. You can only print priority mail on USPS and you can print the media mail, first class and parcel post on paypal, and it is a pay per use kinda deal instead of by the month or year.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#9 of 11 Old 04-01-2004, 02:34 PM

We send most of our stuff Priority Mail (delivery confirmation is free), so the USPS site is great. I would suggest consolidating your trips to the PO to once or twice a week and see if that works out for you. I've heard great things about stamps.com, but I'm also within walking distance to the PO.
#10 of 11 Old 04-01-2004, 06:36 PM

I was going to the PO every week, but it got to be a huge pain. So, I went and bought a $30 (5lb) scale at Office Depot and I'm paying for and printing lables from PayPal. Then I just stick them in the mailbox for the mail carrier to pick up. If have more than what will fit in the mail box, I can arrange for pick up through usps.com and my mail carrier will either ring the bell to pick up, or I can leave them outside for her to pickup.

edited to add: You can use Priority,Parcel Post, First Class, and Media Mail with PayPal now.
#11 of 11 Old 04-01-2004, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ReesesMomma
I was going to the PO every week, but it got to be a huge pain. So, I went and bought a $30 (5lb) scale at Office Depot and I'm paying for and printing lables from PayPal. Then I just stick them in the mailbox for the mail carrier to pick up. If have more than what will fit in the mail box, I can arrange for pick up through usps.com and my mail carrier will either ring the bell to pick up, or I can leave them outside for her to pickup.

edited to add: You can use Priority,Parcel Post, First Class, and Media Mail with PayPal now.

I think I will start out sending them like Mon,Wed, Sat..and then if it ends up being too much then I'll probably use paypal shipping and/or stamps.com

Btw, thanks for all the replies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page