What to Do??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am unemployeed and trying to figure out something to do.  We live in a very rural area I have had a couple of job offers at $9/hr but its a 45 to 60 minute drive and with 3 children that will need care the cost doesnt justify the paycheck.  So I guess what I'm getting at is what can I do at home?????

I have babysit before and REALLLLLLY DONT LIKE IT.  I could do it again but it makes me nuts.  I've seen on here there are a lot of writing jobs but I'm not great at english or composing my thoughts.  Does anyone have any ideas???  I'm really needing something I can do at home but I just dont know whats out there and dont want to get in any scams.

Thanks,

Tina

#2 of 4 Old 04-14-2011, 06:10 AM

I live somewhere really rural, too, and also have three kids.  I'm fortunate enough to have a little seasonal work only 8km away, but here's the work at home stuff i've done the rest of the time:

• sell Avon (really I don't clear a lot with this, but it's great for seeing the neighbours, and sociable people can do very well at it)
  • Have an Etsy shop.  This is great if you are artistic or handy.  I've actually had decent success so far.  i combine this with selling crafts locally at farmer's market, souvenir shops, fairs, etc.
  • Selling eggs and veggies

My husband supplements his job with computer fixing and computer skills tutoring.

I don't know if any of those ideas work for you.  You just have to think of what you are good at that not everyone likes to do!

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#3 of 4 Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

I have done Avon but not made anything I've lost. I'm not much at networking. I would love to do etsy I like the stamped items I have bought somethings myself off of there. I don't even know where to buy supplies or how to start does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks
#4 of 4 Old 04-15-2011, 03:28 PM

Wish I could help about the supplier, but I'm a fiber artist and I live in Canada, so I'm not sure what supply sources would work for you.  I do suggest looking for online suppliers, especially if you're in a rural location as the driving to get supplies doesn't come cheap when it comes to gas.  Also spend some time thinking of what sorts of things you do with your talents are the sort of things you or your friends would buy.  go online on Etsy or other handmade sites and check out what sort of price these things go for and figure in if you think you would get the base price you need.  (Some people do the multiply your material cost times 3, but that's tricky with very from scratch items, like felting which is just wool but lots of time, so i figure in supplies plus at least minimum wage).  Most importantly, just get started somewhere and see.  Pay attention to response at farmer's markets and the like, and if you do Etsy, check in to see what sorts of items are "favorited".  Etsy is pretty big, so to get yourself known, network a lot with treasuries, teams etc.  hope this helps a little!

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page