Any self-employed lawyers out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(x-posted in Working and Student Parents)

Any lawyers who work for themselves? 

I'm considering whether I could make a little money taking cases while mostly being a SAHM.  I need to make $1500/month to cover my student loans.  Is it crazy to think I could do it on my own?

We're moving to a sort of rural area.  I want to stay home with DD, but we need a little more income and I think the work would help keep me mentally stimulated.  My experience is in unemployment compensation and criminal law.

I guess the pros are obvious, but my concerns are:

how do i get business?

liability insurance--how does that work?

would I have to meet clients at my home, or could i meet them at the public library or something?

what sort of "support" will i need--trust accounts, access to research tools, etc?

would I be able to make enough to cover my loans and expenses?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Or if you'd be open to chatting privately instead, PM me please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

My dad has been self-employed for years.

how do i get business?

Word of mouth works well.  You can also have a website with some good keywords, and hang signs at police stations, etc.  Also check out being on the local referral list for low-fee work (forget the name, but low-income people get referred to you and you only charge half-rate.)

liability insurance--how does that work?

I think you have to get it.  :-)

would I have to meet clients at my home, or could i meet them at the public library or something?

I would not meet them at your home ever.  There are public office spaces for rent by the hour/day.

what sort of "support" will i need--trust accounts, access to research tools, etc?

Well, if they are just paying fees, you don't need an IOLTA account, but if you are doing something where the money will sit around (like a retainer), I think you do, b/c that is how the state earns $.  As for research, usually the county courthouse or bar assn has a library.

would I be able to make enough to cover my loans and expenses?

Maybe not at first, but it should grow by word of mouth.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#3 of 3 Old 06-02-2011, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dear JustKate:  I am a mother of 6 (only 2 at home now) and I live in a rural town.  I have been brokering legal services for almost 3 years from home.  I am helping people and making a difference.  I was recently awarded one of the top producers for our company.  I will be very happy to tell you about my business.  Email me anytime at stormcaley@gmail.com or find me on Facebook Storm Caley .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page