Some Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-25-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Suzannah,

I checked out your website and am quite amazed by all the offerings you have after just one year. How can this be -  AP classes, college applications assistance, interesting classes, field trips, etc?  What are the ages of your current students...are they all high school level?

I am just beginning to think about the possibility of opening a school for students interested in individualized learning as well.  I have a degree in Sec. Ed. Math/Physics but have only been teaching part time the last 4 years because I have dedicated myself to raising my 6 children, four of which are now college age or older, while the other two are in 8th and 11th grades.  I have been actively involved in many aspects of education: Head Start, homeschooling, college applications/visitations, as well as serving as a part-time Math tutor for state required testing (11th grade) in a local school district.  I am fearful of the education my children are receiving as well as that which other students are receiving and worry about the future of our country.  FYI: My daughter recently found out that her college roommate is from China and her school day normally runs from 7:30 am to 10:15 PM!  I can only imagine how much more she knows that my daughter who is one of the best students in her graduating class!  It's very intimidating to know that our country is lagging the world in so many ways and I am concerned about my grand-children's education as well.  This young Chinese girl who corresponds via email regularly asked my daughter to correct her English when necessary, and her English is as good or better than ours.  The other day we had to look up an English word she used in the dictionary because no one in the house (including 3 with college degrees) knew what it meant. How frightening!

Anyway, I am thinking about starting a small business with a small group of students that are eager to learn, and whose parents understand that standardized schooling is too limiting.  I know that I have the right to home-school my own children without any problem, however, I am not sure of the legalities of wanting to do so for other people's children since there would certainly be a fee involved.  Can you provide any insight into this?

I too would like to have a set size group (no larger than 6 students).  Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page