interesting in career step-employment after graduation? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi guys,

I have a BS of science in public health and have been in the medical field for 7 years. I am recently a new mom to an 18 month old and I really want to look into doing some work from home doing medical transcription. I know that medical transciption is very different in terms of what I've been doing in the field but, i am interested. My main question i have is, can a new grad of the program actually get a job afterwards with no experience?  I have been researching this option for quite a while and it seems that not many people are having luck finding jobs after graduating despite all the claims that this field "is expected to grow by as much as 13% by 2018" from the u.s. department of labor stats. 

I just want the honest truth before I sink money into this option.

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 08-24-2011, 11:57 AM

Hi!

I've been able to see some really old threads on this site about women here who are successfully transcribing from home. However, I haven't seen anyone post anything in the past few years. I am also looking into this and have been collecting data. I'll be curious to see if anyone resonds.

Lane

#3 of 4 Old 08-29-2011, 11:37 PM

I think medical transcription makes a lot of sense for you, not just because it provides you the flexibility to work from home, but also because it will let you draw from your previous experience in the healthcare industry. 

As for finding work post medical transcription training, there is no way of knowing for sure until you give it a shot. I’d suggest you scout the healthcare facilities near your house for opportunities and once you get an idea about the kind of work options that exist locally, you can start the training process. I am assuming that working from home or freelance options require a certain amount of networking, so be open to leverage websites like LinkedIn to find work.
#4 of 4 Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Well, this was two years ago, but I was able to find a job with no experience and I know there are some companies who hire without experience.  Check out the forums (particularly the graduate forums) on Career Step for lots of helpful advice and companies who hire newbies!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page