Where to start? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH is pressuring me into looking into something to make some money from home so I don' have to go back to work. I'm not creative at all, and of course there's all kinds of scams out there. I have no specific skills, I've never been to college, and I've only worked for about 3 years out of my adult life.

It's overwhelming to think about, and don't know where to start. Any ideas?

#2 of 5 Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 PM

Start by exploring some vocational training courses at schools like Career Step. Believe me, once you have the skills for a particular job, you’ll feel much more confident and good about yourself. And it’s not at all hard to complete these courses as a lot of them are available online and can be worked on at the pace you’re comfortable with. It may take some time, but getting trained for a job will help you have a stable home career in the long run.

#3 of 5 Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 AM

Start by exploring some vocational training courses at schools like Career Step. Believe me, once you have the skills for a particular job, you’ll feel much more confident and good about yourself. And it’s not at all hard to complete these courses as a lot of them are available online and can be worked on at the pace you’re comfortable with. It may take some time, but getting trained for a job will help you have a stable home career in the long run.

#4 of 5 Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 PM

I think it's getting harder to make money from home because it's becoming so popular. I'd start by making a list of what skills you do have and what you enjoy doing. Then make a list of your assets. Do you have a reliable computer and internet access at home? Phone? Quiet place to work or not? Dedicated work hours or do you need something where you can work here and there when you have a few minutes (kids nap, at night, etc.)?  All these things will really determine what sorts of opportunities you can look at.

A few ideas depending on the above:

--I know of a few small business owners who have hired WAH personal assistants to take care of basic bookkeeping, processing credit card charges, answering e-mails, putting together documents, etc. Since these things can be done without direct supervision, it's easy to have someone working from home.

--Writing content for websites or blogs. If you have a specific knowledge area sometimes websites and blogs hire people to write their content.

--Do customer service work. Some companies have their CSR's work from home. All of my CSR's work from home (I'm just using this as an example, I'm not hiring right now LOL). Big companies do sometimes too.  JetBlue and FTD (flower people) do from what I've heard. This generally requires dedicated hours and a quiet work area though.

--Testing websites. I don't remember the URL but there is some place around that pays like $10 for a website to be tested and it takes like 20 minutes. I don't remember all the details though.

--Sell stuff on eBay, Etsy, etc. Personally think this seems like a very difficult way to make money but people do it and some make quite a sum of money.

--Start a website and sell something.  From personal experience I can tell you this isn't easy but it can work out really well.  There's a lot to consider--if you think about that option, let me know and I'll go into more detail ;)

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 5 Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM

I tried so hard last year at working from home, but what I ended up finding ultimately was that, while there are indeed some great opportunities, there are very rarely any trustworthy people out there to help us.  It took me TWO YEARS to figure everything out, and by then I was pretty much burned.  It's tough right now.

:(

cj

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page