Regulations surrounding selling food? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-10-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm turning an idea over in my head. I've just begun making traditional sourdough bread. I make all kinds of traditional foods. It';s the kind of thing you might see at a farmer's market. Which got me thinking, why don't I make extra and sell them on Saturdays at the farmer's market. My 10 yr old is just getting old enough he loves to help bake and sell things (always has ideas for things he can make and sell for some cash). Baked/bakeable breads and other TFs are things that could be sold on Etsy or other places, too...

So, I'm wondering if there are and where I could find info on regulations regarding food you'll be selling. Local and/or national. I would imagine the ingredients must be labeled, but beyond that I really have no clue. Does it have to be made in a commercial kitchen? Does it have to be handled in a certain way and only sold within a certain time of when it was made? Etc. Where can I find this info?

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#2 of 4 Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 PM

It's a local thing (being in compliance with local laws essentially puts you in compliance with national laws). Call your state's department of agriculture or your country health department. It depends on the state but sometimes you have to have licensing through both and sometimes it's just one or the other.

I'm only familiar with the regs where I'm at but here's what the processed looked like:

--Get set up with a commercial licensed kitchen where you make the food or get your own kitchen licensed (fair warning, in most places, getting your own personal kitchen licensed is really difficult but it's worth a shot!).

--Meet with an inspector at the facility (or your kitchen) to go over your processes, labeling, procedures, etc.

--Fill out paperwork and pay the licensing fee.

--Wait for your app to be approved.

You'll need liability insurance. It's easiest just to start by asking your own regular insurance agent (whoever does your home/auto/life if you're with a major company).

In addition--you'll likely need a business license for your state, county, etc.

I know it sounds like a lot but if you are going to be out in public selling (like at a farmer's market), you'll have to be ready to present that paperwork if an inspector comes through.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 4 Old 10-10-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dogmom! And, I must say, I love your products! I finally broke down and bought your greek yogurt starter a couple of weeks ago and made it with our raw sheep's milk. It was great! And your videos are absolutely invaluable (I've made water kefir and kombucha almost a year now and still check out your videos on flavoring kefir and kombucha sometimes.) eat.gif

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#4 of 4 Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 PM

Aw thanks!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page