Managing my time while trying to grow my business, be a sahm and homeschool - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-28-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is high time for me to step up my marketing of my birth business and do some work everyday on reaching out.  I have several big plans in my head, and lots of motivation.  My big issue is time management.  I've never been good with planning my day out.  I like to feel it out.  I'm great when I have an appointment with someone else, or a deadline to meet issued by someone else, but when its up to me... I work when it feels right.  I'm fairly productive.  I manage to work part-time with an organization, to homeschool my oldest DD, and to remain pretty active with my business as far as internet marketing.  However, its time to make my business grow into my complete workload aside from my family and homeschooling responsibilities.  Like I said, I have so many ideas I want to try out.  Lots of motivation, just not sure how to fit it in.

Here's my current schedule:

Wake up - 8am

Breakfast Cooking/Eating and Early Computer Time - 9/10 am

More Computer Time - 10:30am

Start Homeschool Day - 11am

Hopefully get in a yoga practice - 3pm or 4pm

Get Supper and Run Errands - 5pm

Prepare for Bed - 7pm

Get Gals in Bed - 8pm

Relax and Get Odds and Ends Tied Up - 8pm - 10pm

Bed - anywhere from 10pm - 1am

Thanks!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello - thanks for a great question! 

I suspect most of us who are entrepreneurs - big and small - have big plans and a strong motivation to bring them to life.  And yes, time management is a challenge for most of all of us, even those who are blessed with a wide open schedule that allows for full focus.  I had this very conversation with a dear friend who is self-employed just a few days ago - where does the time go????

When you write it is "high time" - where is this coming from?  is it your own internal motivation urging you forward?  Has there been a change in your life that is going to allow you to step it up? 

You stated your intention to "do some work everyday on reaching out."  And yet, you also know that your ideal way of being is feeling your way through the day, working when it feels "right" - and when those conditions are in place, you can be productive and make effective use of that time. I'd encourage you to honour this way of work as it sounds like a good match for you, but then also maybe consider the elements that allow a moment to "feel right" for work - and look at how you can bring this energy more into your days.  You sound as though you are already balancing quite a big between employment, homeschooling and your existing business outreach, but it's clear that you're wanting something more.

What if it's not about "fitting it in" - but rather making the space?  It may be that these big plans don't even require more time than you're already allotting in terms of computer time - perhaps it's about setting aside some of the other aspects for a period of time to look intensively at one of your big plans.  Or designating two days a week when your computer time is 100% focused on the BIG.

Looking at your current schedule I'd suggest a few other ideas as well - I am seeing roughly 1 - 2 hours of computer time per day - is that right?

*Possible to wake up a bit earlier?  Maybe even just 2x a week get up at 6:30?

*Designate an hour during the homeschool day when you're working side by side?

*Get that supper started in the morning during breakfast time, and go to a cafe with your computer after yoga.  If you can set the intention for daily yoga, why not add on a bit of professional development to that time frame?

*Retreat!!!!  what if.... you gift yourself with a weekend away sometime in the next few months.  Don't have to pay for a hotel room - why not just find a friend who is going out of town for the holidays - thanksgiving or xmas - and ask to house-sit.  Sometimes these bigger projects demand some pure focus and perspective outside of our daily routine.

Also, why not create a new model for your to do list?  I've just posted a new To Do List model for you to consider on my website - http://www.birthyourbusiness.ca/to-do-list.html.  It allows you to really see where your energies are going, and where your attention is needed.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these, and feedback from others as well.

Blessings,

Sarah

Your Business Doula

www.birthyourbusiness.ca

smallbyb.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page